IW STi Forum banner

361 - 366 of 366 Posts

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #362
Image Link

Hmm Tapatalk doesn’t appear to support videos lol

But here’s a pic of it, this is directly next to where the slave cylinder attaches to the whole assembly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which brace is that in the picture? The clutch side and the brake side of the cylinder is quite hidden. Did yours break right next to the accelerator brace?

I squeezed my fingers in there best I could for the parts of the cylinder that I didn’t see and didnt feel an edge. I find it’s very loud underneat there. Leads me to believe its from the clutch bracket same as you, unless the firewall creaks really carry the sound down to the footwell.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
It should be pretty visible once you have your head under there. This is the best labeling I could think of lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Let me know if that helps orient it. If not, I can take a vid and send it to you when I get home from work. I can just text it to you.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #365
Thanks, the second pic helped! I was looking at the right spot. It just wasn’t broken.

Did an oil change today, and then went ahead to find the creaking.

We found a broken weld up top. We could feel it move there. The only thing though that was throwing us off was that some creaking was coming from around the clutch cylinder in the engine bay, even with the clutch brace there.

Some help arrived, and we decided to go ahead and remove the dash. We drilled out the first weld that was clearly broken. The second didn’t look broken. Since the dash was off, we went ahead and drilled it out anyway. We found out pretty fast that this weld was broken too, but from the inside. From outside underneat the wiper cowl, it looked perfectly fine. We installed a bolt in each.

This is when we found out that I actually had two sounds when pressing the clutch. There was a squeak, and three consecutive creaks/pops. The squeak was now gone, but the creaks/pops coming from the clutch cylinder area was still there. We tightened the cylinder studs, but nothing changed.

I’ll have to do some research on if it’s just the rubber bushing, some grease needed or the entire cylinder is done.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Thanks, the second pic helped! I was looking at the right spot. It just wasn’t broken.

Did an oil change today, and then went ahead to find the creaking.

We found a broken weld up top. We could feel it move there. The only thing though that was throwing us off was that some creaking was coming from around the clutch cylinder in the engine bay, even with the clutch brace there.

Some help arrived, and we decided to go ahead and remove the dash. We drilled out the first weld that was clearly broken. The second didn’t look broken. Since the dash was off, we went ahead and drilled it out anyway. We found out pretty fast that this weld was broken too, but from the inside. From outside underneat the wiper cowl, it looked perfectly fine. We installed a bolt in each.

This is when we found out that I actually had two sounds when pressing the clutch. There was a squeak, and three consecutive creaks/pops. The squeak was now gone, but the creaks/pops coming from the clutch cylinder area was still there. We tightened the cylinder studs, but nothing changed.

I’ll have to do some research on if it’s just the rubber bushing, some grease needed or the entire cylinder is done.
Other thing to check is the clutch pivot rod. (the one behind that giant T70 torx screw on the trans)

Glad you found the source of the one noise, you'll be very happy when all the noise is gone. It was probably one of the more satisfying things I've done lately LOL

361 - 366 of 366 Posts