IW STi Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have my setup being slowly built I have component 6 1/2's in the front being powered by a Kenwood 100W @ 4 ohm amp. My problem now is that I get a lot of rattles in the door area when I turn it up now. Should this be normal? It really bothers me. I’m thinking about putting in a 8" sub behind the passenger seat with good power (I don’t want everyone else to hear, I just want some good base). I’m worried that other things will start rattling with it.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
You need to install some thing like Dynamat or Brown Bread. This is will eliminate the rattles and quiet road noise also.

Here is the link to the Brown Bread sight:

http://www.b-quiet.com/brownbread.html

·
Registered
104 Posts
I experienced significant "buzzing" from my front speakers ( Infinity 62.5i Kappas).

Take your door panels off and very carefully examine your speaker surrounds and cone edges... If your situation is like mine you will see small "dents" and "marks" in the surrounds.

Carefully wield a dremel tool and and knock down the circular "rings" and especially the three "braces" on the inside of the door panels.

Before doing this, Carl Castle's voice (on NPR) would buzz so much it drove me nuts... Now no buzz...

Can't say it does a damn thing for the road noise though... I am psyching myself up to bite the bullet and put in some brown bread. NOT looking forward to that at all...

·
Registered
282 Posts
I just ordered up a big roll of brown bread and will be putting some in my trunk and a bit in my doors. I haven't decided how much I'm going to put in the doors, we'll see :). I'm having a hard time convincing myself to install all this expensive stuff that's just going to slow down my car. Brown bread is one of the lighter sound-deadeners (0.4 lbs per square foot).

Oh, I ordered from a guy on ebay (he's in Canada... look up brown bread and you'll see who I'm talking about, he sells a ton of it). He sells it for 130 plus 25 shipping so it only saves about 5 bucks compared to the b-quiet site, but you get a free roller :). I'll post results of my stereo install in about 10 days.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
question from someone who knows nothing about car stero

Brownbread and Dynamat Xtreme are your friends. You MUST, I mean MUST use it for decent sound, especially in the front doors. If you don't use any sound deadining, you will get rattles. Heck, you will get rattles anyway, but it's always good to reduce them if you can.

Also, MAKE SURE that the opening fits the speaker and the speaker terminal (covered with tape) does not come into contact without some kind of padding with the bare metal edge of the cutout....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts