IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright... I know I've beaten this over and over, but after today I am completely confused on what to do. #1 issue: breaking in the engine. After driving softly for the first 100-300 miles I talked to some of the mechanics that work out at my dealership I work at (Conquest GMC). They all told me (most are ASE certified and whatnot) that I should give it pressure (throttle), but not to go too high with the rpms. Otherwise, just driving it easy will make it clog up and such. (ok that makes sense, what do you guys think?). #2 issue: Oil changes. A friend of mine, since Im probably the most paranoid owner of the STI yet (since I get to own one at such a young age), told me that I should probably go ahead and change the oil at 500, 1000, and then regularly at 3000 miles. That makes sense since I dont want chunks of metal and such to damage the engine and I just want that little reassurance my oil is clean. I go over to the dealership and the sales guy who sold me the car told me I didnt need to change the oil until 3000-3500 miles because it wouldn't seal properly? The sales manager said that too... That doesnt make sense to me as to how that would work, but I cant get my oil changed as they wont do it (I havent gotten to talk to any mechanics there unfortunately). That and they are the only Subaru dealership around. So now what? I dont wanna start getting on it at 1000 miles knowing theres probably chunks of metal and debris in the oil. Is there a way to buy some filters and just take it somewhere else? I tried just going to express oil or something like that and they all said that Subaru hadnt released them yet. So what should I do? (Sorry again for all this being asked over and over, im just wanting to make sure this car last forever as it is very expensive for my age). Thanks!

Robert~

·
Registered
391 Posts
Ok man I felt the same way. This is what I did. step on the throttle but don't pass 4000 RMP. After about 1300 miles I was hitting 5000 rpm. I bought some filters on a group buy. And I will change the oil as soon as they come in. I have not heard any pinging or anything of the sort. I am also very anal about my ride.

·
Registered
858 Posts
find another dealer...

my wrx was changed at around 1300 (i just drove to vegas for that 600 miler).

my sti was changed at around 1600 (i just drove to portland and that was a 700 miler)... ;)

both dealers didnt even challenge me about the mileage.

hell if i were you, buy the filters yourself and use the service bays at your dealership to change them. that's if the suby dealer still refuses.

after all gmc owns a part of fuji heavy industries (i think) which owns subaru... ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
How about changing it yourself? It really isn't hard. I use Mobil 1. Did the first change at 1500 and the second change at 4500. I plan on about 4000 miles between changes after that. Vette's even have "Mobil 1 Only" stamped on the engine block, that's good enough for me. Use 5W-30.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
STiColorado said:
How about changing it yourself? It really isn't hard. I use Mobil 1. Did the first change at 1500 and the second change at 4500. I plan on about 4000 miles between changes after that. Vette's even have "Mobil 1 Only" stamped on the engine block, that's good enough for me. Use 5W-30.
thats probably what Im going to do, but where can I get a filter? I can try calling the dealership, but the guy who sold me my STI is helping me out with a sales type job (For everyone that I refer there for an STI I get $50) and I think hes trying to see how good I am at selling cars and possibly offering me a job later on (so I dont wanna make him mad by going behind his back or something). I know this all sounds stupid, but does anyone have a # or email or better yet a URL that I can use to find some STI filters online or osmething? Thanks

Robert~

edit: or better yet if anyone has some extra I'll buy em from ya.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Cool it, if you want to change at 1,000 fine, if you want to change at 3,000 fine. But forget those little pieces of metal, they aren't going to harm anything. Do you really think Subaru would give a 5 year warranty as long as you change the oil every 3,750 miles if the engine would be harmed if you wait to 3,750 to change your oil.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I just ordered 6 Filters and 6 crush rings from
Carter Subaru/ www.allsubaru.com

email [email protected]
Jamie will tell you how to order them.

It was 46$ including shipping for all that.

I have 1060 miles now..just finished breaking it in. As soon as my filters get here I plan to change the oil.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
I agree that you might talk to another dealeer. I took my car in at 1114 miles and had the oil changed no prob. As far as break-in, just keep it under 4k and no WOT. Other than that, have fun.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hey StaticX313 - I understand 100%. I waited for 7mos. on my STi and am as anal as they come. My take on break-in....just keep it under 4k for the first thousand miles. If you hit 4200 or even 4500 don't lose sleep, just try and keep it under that number. Don't go WOT unless necessary. Change the oil at the 1000 mile mark, preferably before you really lean on it. I did some research (called around to a few Subaru dealers and spoke with the svc dept) and was told more than once a 1k oil change couldn't hurt, and that if they had spent 31+K on a car they'd do a 1k change - good enough for me! Use the 060 oil filters and get 'em from Subie Gal, I've only heard positive reviews about her. DON'T change to synthetic till at least the 3k mile mark, and preferably 5k. (I believe this is to make sure everything seats properly, and have heard enough people say this to believe it). Do your oil changes yourself! I've heard too many horror stories about the 10 minute change places - I will NEVER bring a car of mine to one. Also, it's very satisfying spending some wrench time under this car we all care about so much. And lastly, enjoy it!

·
Registered
326 Posts
060 are the wrong filters.. thats for the regular wrx. use 080 subie gal sold me 6 080's.. they got here fast too! I just ordered them yesterday or the day before and I already have them.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Oh sh*t - URABUS is correct. Damn dyslexia! Sorry 'bout that and thx for the clarification.

·
Registered
343 Posts
JBL speakers installed easily in front doors

DON'T change to synthetic till at least the 3k mile mark said:
Can anybody else confirm NOT changing to synthetic until at least the 3K mark?

Thanks.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'm not putting it on a plate so use it!

here is another one
GOTMILF (friend of mine has this on his Supra up in WA)

·
Registered
96 Posts
another blue and gold in kc !

[/quote]

Can anybody else confirm NOT changing to synthetic until at least the 3K mark?

[/quote]

A very reputable car show host in the DC area has gone on the air as stating that the wait to switch to synthetic to prevent damages is purely a myth. Many newer sports cars (Vette, certain M's) come out of the factory with pure synthetic oil. Heck, the engine for the STi was designed to run with synthetic. The argument for waiting is that synthetic oils lubricate too well and dont allow the piston rings and such to smooth out their imperfections along the cylinder walls. He says that's total hogwash as well. Even if it does do "too good" of a job, as long as you stay synthetic that shouldn't ever cause a problem. Just what I heard, not what i've personally researched.

By the way, hi to every in the forum. This forum kicks ass as much as the STi! I hope to buy an '05 in October of '04. Maybe then I can actually enjoy the STi the same way you guys do, instead of having to imagine what it's like from your posts. I'm going to be upgrading my first ever car (98 Civic EX). I hope to have 20 tickets by the time the break in period is over :wink:

·
Registered
146 Posts
STI & Car Wash

Then only real reason I can think of waiting to change to synthetic is becuase I plan on chaning oil several times beofre 6000 miles so why buy the expensive stuff? :-? Of course I do plan on switching to Mobil 1 at 6000.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Same here, 6k I am swithcing to synthetic. I will roll over 5k on the way home from work today. I changed the oil at 1k and again at 3k, now will switch at 6k or close to it. I am planning on using Amsoil but I have a 5qt jug of Mobil 1 left from my Legacy I will probably use first. Anyone know the Mobil 1 filter to use? I have some left from my 2.5 Legacy, not sure if they will fit though.

·
Registered
347 Posts
It cost me ~$20 for 5 quarts Mobil 1. It costs more than that to fill up with gas. I know I could get other oil for less cash, but for a car that costs over $30K, a savings of just a couple of bucks wasn't worth that much to me.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts