IW STi Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the underside of the wing there appears to be 4 or so holes covered by a color-matching stickers. There also seems to be a strange insert on the underside as well, maybe related to the holes/stickers. Any ideas what that thing could be? Vestigial remnants from the JDM adjustible wing?

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
yeah, thats an insert so that the wing can be molded easier without ripples. I've seen an aftermarket USDM wing and the top surface is not a smooth and straight as the genuine article.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Maybe it is an insert that can be changed to create different amount of negative lift(downforce in our case) like a taller airplane wing just upside down. It seems to be on the largest area of curve on the bottom of the spoiler and if we could find an insert that fits in there and swap it out with a taller one then maybe the downforce would increase. I hope all the physics in that is right I am a chemist not a physicist.

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
a taller one will not make the downforce increase. You need a wing with more surface area and greater underside curvature...to a point. Plus it needs to be at the correct height in order to be effective. Too low and it's just in turbulent flow where it functions as a spoiler instead. Too high, e.g., above the roofline, and you create drag.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
A taller wing would not make any difference in this case. Our wing is already tall enough to be in the laminar flow coming off the roofline.

However, as TL/STi mentioned, if we found an insert for the bottom that increased the hump on the underside of the wing, it would increase slightly more downforce.

Again...this is getting into that whole downforce vs. anti-lift discussion. I'm not sure that we would see any gains from an underside insert just because there really can't be that much usable 'force' applied to the wing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts