IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all, ive recently narrowed my options for purchasing a car down to a 350z or the sti :D i know theyre two different beasts but i just absolutely love z cars! im just wondering about the aftermarket parts lineup, is it up to par with the 2002 wrx? or is the motor just something out of another vehicle in the lineup with no support??
thanks,
franklinz

·
Registered
146 Posts
Welcome to imprezawrxsti franklinz. The engine and Transmission are new to North America. I am sure we will see development from companies like TurboXS, Vishnu, Prodrive, and Tommy K. How soon they will be here is anybody's guess. I can't see any aftermarket engine products like ECU or anything until next year. Down pipes and exhaust will be availible this fall I would guess. Like any other new car it might take a year to get the good parts. :-?

·
Registered
541 Posts
It's true about the aftermarket needing some time for R&D, but it would be the same situation with the new Z. Although I heard someone already developed a supercharger for it. Also, both HKS and GReddy showed 350Zs equipped with twin-turbo kits & FMICs at the LA Auto Show.

From the very beginning I was thinking the mouth on that thing was absolutely begging for an intercooler.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah but the greddy kit was only producing 300 some odd horsepower, not that much of an increase for the loot theyre going to be asking for it. also the only "real" mods out now is an intake and exhaust which seem to only wreak havoc on the ecu. even the thousand dolllar exhaust system was actually giving up hp and some tq!!??
i just dont think the vq motor will be able to take much abuse, and still be able to drive every day. im going to put my 1g deposit on the sti, and wait for both corners to show something, but right now im 3/4 and a half going towards the sti. just as long as it doesnt go past 32k!
and i dunno maybe its just me but, theres something not quite right about v-6's except gn's of course! :D the only v ill accept is followed with either an 8, 10, 12, or maybe a 16! nothing less
franklinz

·
Registered
41 Posts
It is a hard pick between the Z and STi. One is nicer inside, smaller, RWD/AWD...

Aftermarket wise, I strongly doubt that the VQ will have a less aftermarket support compared to the US-sepc STi motor.

The Greddy turbo kit is not finalized yet, and I won't be suprised to see 350HP, 375HP is pretty likely as well. Plus, VQ engien is used on a lot different models.

The STi, on the other hand is US only, how many US-spec STi will be out there?

So, I think it's a tie. As far as the real potentional of the engine, we don't know on both of them.

If you wanna get the Z, then go with the track model, and you get the Brembo brakes, then you will need extra $$$ for the turbo kit, which I would rather just get an M3/Vette in that case.

In another word, if you more performance then what the Z can offer, don't buy it and get a turbo kit for it. Not really worth it, unless you have special, real special feelings for the car.

If you will be happy with what the STi can offer, performance, interior, space, value wise. then go with the STi. But to be very honest, I doubt that there will be a very strong aftermaket support for the 2.5. At least not when the car first came out. And when they do have some stuff, most likely that it's gonna be expensive, and won't be worth it, cuz void your warranty as well.

And honest, with 300hp, you sure that's not enough for you?

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Welcome franklinz!

Good pic on cars, but it depends on what you want. Here is my take on it:
Interior: Z
Exterior: STi (I'm an STiaholic though)
Sheer performance: STi
Aftermarket: STi
Modibility (a real word?): STi
Price: pretty much a tie
reliability: ???

The STi is going to be really easy to mod way past 400hp if you so choose to do. The Z is going to have a tougher time unless you do some internals work. I also think you would need to shave some serious weight off the Z to get a better power:weight ratio. You are going to have more room and usability in the STi just b/c its about the size of a 3-series sedan. My take is STi all the way. The Z is a really sexy beast and will do really well. I think its going to have a heck of an aftermarket too, but until a turboZ comes out you might just want to look at the STi or if you want serious power go into a higher category.

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you want a car that you can keep stock (thereby keeping all your factory warranties) and still win various kinds of autosports, then go with the STi. If you want to mod a car because it is lacking in some ways, buy the Z. If you want to stand out in a crowd with a low production car that looks like a race car, the STi is the one - if you want to blend in with a rounded-off TT-esque bland-mobile, then go with the Z (my opinion is that the new Z is butt-ugly, looks like it belongs in a cheesy sci-fi movie, and only tarrnishes the reputation of the works of art that the old Z's were).

But then if you wanted to blend in, you would just buy a Civic or Integra - you obviously are looking for performance. Because of that, the STi is a sheer winner - what good is the power of the Z if it is being sent to only 2 wheels? Buy the STi and you will enter an elite group of ultra-high performace enthusiasts who enjoy a car that can be driven "as is" in all seasons, and then taken directly to the track with no changes and win events. Keep in mind the STi doesn't "have to be" modded to be competive - I don't think the same can be said for the 350Z.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
when the 2004 imprezas hit the floor, will there be an option to put the 6 speed tranny on the 2.0l engine?? reason being ive been reading alot and have come to believe that the 2.5 isnt as strong as the 2.0, but then again wrx's are pretty new to me!
franklinz

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Evo versus STi, round 874

franklinz said:
when the 2004 imprezas hit the floor, will there be an option to put the 6 speed tranny on the 2.0l engine?? reason being ive been reading alot and have come to believe that the 2.5 isnt as strong as the 2.0, but then again wrx's are pretty new to me!
franklinz
No, no option unless you do custome work at a shop and piecemeal the deal. My opinion and from what I've read..that's hogwash (love those goofy sayings) that the 2.5L isn't as strong as the 2L. The 2.5L comes with forged pieces, and it is a semi-closed deck. I believe it is just as strong as the 2.0L anyday. Now, the 4G63 s.0L in the Evo might be a bit stronger due to it having a cast iron block, but that's in extreme power cases.

I think you can easily get 400, reliable, horsepower out of the STi. If anything you are going to have more transmission issues with 400+hp..than you are the engine.

·
Registered
541 Posts
If you've been reading alot about the "weakness" of the 2.5, you've probably been reading about the old naturally aspirated 2.5 that had problems with aftermarket forced induction. Then yes, it could be considered weak compared to the 2.0 because it was never designed for turbocharged use.

The new 2.5, however, is an engine designed for the turbo from the beginning, and no one knows anything about it yet, so I doubt there are volumes of work regarding its strength.

Like 91TB78 said, with the forged internals and semi-closed deck block, I wouldn't have any strength concerns with the new USDM STi engine. :D

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I don't see where there will be issues with moding the STi. When you look at what we are getting stock, we have been handed an engine built and ready to have the boost turned up. Now obviously there are a lot of other issues that need to be dealt with first, but strength wise, we should be in pretty good shape.

While the 3.5L in the Z is a great engine, I really get the feeling they have maxed that engine out. It started with, what, around 200 hp and now they squeezed another 75 out of it. I don't know how much else they can do to it. Believe me, it's a great engine in the stock form (my fiance has an 03 Maxima with it, 240 hp version), but I just don't know how much else they can do with it.

On the other hand, to get more power, we just need to be looking at keeping the charge cool, watching the AF levels, and start changing turbos or electronics to get the big power gains. Honestly, I'm with 91TB78 on this one.....watch out, the power will come. And I think it will come rather easily for the places that have done work on the WRX.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,

I test drove a 350Z Track about a week ago. It was very nice. The active suspension was sweet, took a little getting used to but handled like a champ. Power was too shabby, definitley not as quick as the STi I drove in Japan. I was actually a bit disappointed with the power, but hey I'm not buying one. At $38K it is way overpriced IMHO. I test drove a WRX this past Monday and I thought at 227HP it was about as quick as the Z. I drove the heck out of both of them. I took the Z out with a friend and we put a hurting on it. Even with the traction control I got the tires to light up pretty good in a turn. When I test drove the WRX it was my friend, me and the dealer in the car (too many paper balasts). The dealer was very cool, he kept getting on me because I wasn't pushing it enough. So on a mountain road I put it into a four wheel slide going into a hairpin, the WRX handled very well, the front wheels pushed a little but it was very balanced. The dealer was happy after that. Between the WRX and the 350Z I think the WRX is much funner to drive. I haven't driven the US spec STi, but I don't think there is any competition between the 350Z and the STi, especially since I like the WRX better then the Z.

Rob

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
STi Club Discount is Postponed

And just for those reasons....I will NEVER buy a car off of a dealer lot again!

Order a new one if it has more than 10 miles on it. These dealers tell ya to break it in....yeah...right....what did you already do to it ya pricks!

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Do you know how frustrating it is to tell the dealer I am working with that I want this thing so new I still want plastic covers on the seats via telephone and e-mail?!!

Being overseas is cool and all, but super difficult to be apart of reality that is in the states..especially when trying to by a limited production car..argh!

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Funny you mention that...I'm going for the 'plastic still in place' delivery too. If they insist that the car be cleaned up when I accept it, I'll tell em I'll clean it up myself....

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
I agree. See, my predicament makes it where they should just clean it and leave the covers on, etc b/c as soon as it comes in and they receive payment from me its on a boat to Germany..

Not the most ideal, but oh well. I'm spending an extra ~$1500 to ship it over here, but once I get it I will post some pics and show you why a car like this is going to be ideal during the summer..

·
Registered
886 Posts
Oh Oh

mmmm 350z, sexier than the sti anyday, 280 naturally aspirated horses, large torque band, rear wheel drive, same engine the new gtr is going to use...mmmmmm
sti, screamingly loud asthetics, sedan-very practical, cheaper than the performance 350z version, a bit faster from the standstill, quasi rwd performance from dccd, smaller powerband.
it's basically what you look for in a car and what you feel you can sacrifice and what you feel is essential.

·
Registered
541 Posts
chawklit said:
sti, screamingly loud asthetics, sedan-very practical, cheaper than the performance 350z version, a bit faster from the standstill, quasi rwd performance from dccd, smaller powerband.
Not necessarily a smaller powerband.

350Z:
287 hp @ 6,200 rpm
274 lb-ft @ 4,800 rpm

STi:
300 hp @ 6,000 rpm
300 lb-ft @ 4,000 rpm

This review of the facelifted JDM STi (with twin-scroll) describes "instant response" starting at 2000 rpm, and that's only a 2.0:

http://www.apexjapan.com/news/sti8/sti8.html

Our STi will have a nice wide, fat powerband, and frankly, I think it will stomp all over the 350Z, including the Track model.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts