IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
checked my oil this morning. the manual says that if it's below the "L" hole, to add oil to bring it up to the "F" hole. mine is just a tad above the low hole. i'm due for an oil change in about 500 miles. should i add some oil before then or am i ok? if i should add oil, how much? i think a full quart might be too much. here's a visual example

F
o
|
|
|
|
|
| <- mine is here (when cold sitting over night)
o
L

thanks and sorry if this is a dumb question.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
spazegun2213 said:
remember to check your oil when its warm ;) its a common mistake to check it when its cold. I check mine when I'm getting gas, takes 30 seconds and most places have paper towels for you too!

But the difference between the low line and the full line is a quart. So somewhere on the order of 3/4 of a quart should do it.
Why would you check it warm? That doesn't give you a good indication of total oil in the system...some will still be dripping down to the pan. I find it best to check it first thing in the morning, then add as needed.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Singletrack said:
Why would you check it warm? That doesn't give you a good indication of total oil in the system...some will still be dripping down to the pan. I find it best to check it first thing in the morning, then add as needed.
that's what i was thinking. also if you check it when it's cold that's the minimum amount of oil that's going to be in there right? it may read low cold but almost full hot. then in that case would you still add oil?

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
wouldnt you want to know the level of your engine oil when your car has had oil run through it recently? rather then sitting? the oil level doesnt matter if the engine isnt running

·
resigned
5,835 Posts
the dipstick is designed to show how much of the pan capacity you have oil occupying. How are you going to accurately measure oil level if some of the oil is not in the pan?

I understand that its not going to make that much difference, but it is worse for the motor to have a quart too much than a quart too little....

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
scubadiver424 said:
wouldnt you want to know the level of your engine oil when your car has had oil run through it recently? rather then sitting? the oil level doesnt matter if the engine isnt running
I'd rather err on the side of slightly too little vs. too much and end up with frothing. Besides, having changed the oil quite a few times now, the capacity seems to be cold vs. hot to me.

If I let the car thoroughly drain, it will take 4.5qts. It seems logical that there is another .3 qts or so hung up in the engine.

·
Poor Speed Racer
4,528 Posts
Singletrack said:
The reason i have been told this is oil expands when its warm. If you are at the "full" line when the engine is cold, when you get the engine is warm there will actually be to much oil in the system. Our subarus are fairly stout cars, but some engines should not be overfilled with oil. However, your milage will vary ;)

Either way I'm sure there is a margin of error built into any method of checking oil level, and there is probably one that the FHI engineers built into the engine as well.

Either way, the distance from low to full is 1 quart.

·
Registered
13,679 Posts
lackskill said:
the dipstick is designed to show how much of the pan capacity you have oil occupying. How are you going to accurately measure oil level if some of the oil is not in the pan?

I understand that its not going to make that much difference, but it is worse for the motor to have a quart too much than a quart too little....
+1. Check it in the morning.

As for the original post, fill up until the oil level is close to the F marker. You don't want to run this car with low oil level.

·
Poor Speed Racer
4,528 Posts
Singletrack said:
I'd rather err on the side of slightly too little vs. too much and end up with frothing. Besides, having changed the oil quite a few times now, the capacity seems to be cold vs. hot to me.

If I let the car thoroughly drain, it will take 4.5qts. It seems logical that there is another .3 qts or so hung up in the engine.
.3 quarts could easily be held in an engine in the heads or other oil channels as just residue. There is also the oil filter to take into consideration.

I never measure how much oil comes out of the engine, but I'm anal about how much goes in :)

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
spazegun2213 said:
The reason i have been told this is oil expands when its warm. If you are at the "full" line when the engine is cold, when you get the engine is warm there will actually be to much oil in the system. Our subarus are fairly stout cars, but some engines should not be overfilled with oil. However, your milage will vary ;)

Either way I'm sure there is a margin of error built into any method of checking oil level, and there is probably one that the FHI engineers built into the engine as well.

Either way, the distance from low to full is 1 quart.
Yah I've been told the same thing, but in practice I've found checking in the morning to be the most reliable.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I'm probably a little over, maybe a bit more than a 1/3 of a litre. I haven't had any problems, but then again I've only got a few thousand Kms since I added. I thought I would end up burning it off, but it seems that I have one of the few STi's that don't burn.
Should I worry about it?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Why do our cars burn off so much oil? Is there certain conditions/mods that contribute to the amount it burns? Obviously, running it hard will tend to burn off, but a significant amount in as little as 300 miles seams excessive.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Frozen STI said:
I'm probably a little over, maybe a bit more than a 1/3 of a litre. I haven't had any problems, but then again I've only got a few thousand Kms since I added. I thought I would end up burning it off, but it seems that I have one of the few STi's that don't burn.
Should I worry about it?
If it is above the notch, not the "F", at the top, when the car is iddling, then it is probably a bit too much. If you are below this then you are probably fine.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
kirbyslu said:
Why do our cars burn off so much oil? Is there certain conditions/mods that contribute to the amount it burns? Obviously, running it hard will tend to burn off, but a significant amount in as little as 300 miles seams excessive.

Thanks!
There are a LOT of threads on this topic and I have speculated greatly on the topic. I'd do a quick search : ) Summary: engine tolerances, engine design, oil used, break-in, driving style, boost pressure, etc. etc.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.