IW STi Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm having a weird noise that sounds like it might be coming from my transmission or clutch. When i am stationary and rev the car to 2-3k rpm nothing happens. The noise occurs when i rev the motor and press the clutch in at the same time. It sounds like a grinding/rattling noise. I also notice a noise when driving in low rpm also around 2-3k rpm. Sounds like a rattle/grind as well which leads me to think it’s directly correlated. Looking for some insight on why this is happening. Clutch and lever action feel normal.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Could be a number of things. Clutch fork could cause this. As could a throw out bearing going bad. You could also have flywheel chatter if it’s a lighter aftermarket one. Or it could be a heat shield that is not even related to the trans (although this would likely not be the case based on your description). There’s a few others it could be too. Hard to say really.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Could be a number of things. Clutch fork could cause this. As could a throw out bearing going bad. You could also have flywheel chatter if it’s a lighter aftermarket one. Or it could be a heat shield that is not even related to the trans (although this would likely not be the case based on your description). There’s a few others it could be too. Hard to say really.
okay cool so most likely something with the clutch assembly i’ll look on getting that replaced soon, for the time being is it okay to drive on it assuming it’s something with the clutch.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
okay cool so most likely something with the clutch assembly i’ll look on getting that replaced soon, for the time being is it okay to drive on it assuming it’s something with the clutch.
it likely wouldnt be the clutch itself.

so far as is it ok to drive on.....cant really say. maybe? maybe not. without knowing what the issue is, nobody could say. it probably is, although if it's a fork/throwout bearing/master cylinder etc. it could break and leave you suck in whatever gear you were in, or it could be worse. again, pretty much impossible to say without knowing the actual issue.

these cars also rattle alot, so it's possible there's no issue at all. lol. you just have to check or have a mechanic check

1 - 4 of 4 Posts