IW STi Forum banner

81 - 86 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Hey hey.

Long time that I’ve been away. Yet to turn the car up for kill mode but this spring will be time LOL.

This spring I started maintenance time by pulling the motor and going over all the permatex silicone that didn’t cure properly.

Apart of my check ups were compression, 3 cylinders at 150 and cylinder 1 at 120. Little odd but I did a leak down and it came to approx 15psi through the rings.

Stuck a camera into the cylinder and nothing seemed out of place - so likely it is washed as we never got the car really heated up.

Found out the ACL 12mm orbit pumps are garbage as they have aluminum backplate and it doesn’t seal once warmed up.

Low and behold, some carnage was found lol.

The cams are thrashed as id have to grind them but the heads seem okay. Ordered a new set of BC280 cams.

This is likely due to the pump losing pressure badly once it heated up. It has been replaced with an oem 12mm jdm.

Good lord, Subaru’s are not meant for me :lol:

Somehow love them.

I will be likely taking the engine apart to inspect the bearings since I have to remove the heads to get the extra clearance for the lobes.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Hey hey.

Long time that I’ve been away. Yet to turn the car up for kill mode but this spring will be time LOL.

This spring I started maintenance time by pulling the motor and going over all the permatex silicone that didn’t cure properly.

Apart of my check ups were compression, 3 cylinders at 150 and cylinder 1 at 120. Little odd but I did a leak down and it came to approx 15psi through the rings.

Stuck a camera into the cylinder and nothing seemed out of place - so likely it is washed as we never got the car really heated up.

Found out the ACL 12mm orbit pumps are garbage as they have aluminum backplate and it doesn’t seal once warmed up.

The cams are thrashed as id have to grind them but the heads seem okay. Ordered a new set of BC280 cams.

This is likely due to the pump losing pressure badly once it heated up. It has been replaced with an oem 12mm jdm.

Good lord, Subaru’s are not meant for me :lol:

Somehow love them.

I will be likely taking the engine apart to inspect the bearings since I have to remove the heads to get the extra clearance for the lobes.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
That sucks Al.

Mine has been down since November, but by choice but I'm still running into small issues here and there so I feel your pain. I didn't have to pull the engine tho haha.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
That sucks Al.

Mine has been down since November, but by choice but I'm still running into small issues here and there so I feel your pain. I didn't have to pull the engine tho haha.
BC280 cams are here :)

Have to take the heads off to grind the heads for the large lobes.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts

The cams are thrashed as id have to grind them but the heads seem okay.
How the hell did that not damage the "bushings" in the head/cap??? You got stupid lucky...

Sometimes you gotta learn the hard way that some of these aftermarket companies don't know what they're doing. When it comes to stuff like oil pumps, best to stay with OEM.

81 - 86 of 86 Posts