IW STi Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to share the following information with you who have concern on pinging.

I just took delivery of a STI on 9/20. The Service Manager told me that (since I asked) the latest STI will not have pinging problem because Subaru of America have fixed it. Then I emailed Subaru of America to question if there will be reduction in either horsepower or torque range on the latest STI which will not have pinging problem. He said "no". So far I don't hear any pinging and I use 91 octane (in CA). However, I am observing the break-in procedure meaning I shift at or below 4000 rpm. I have yet to prove it does not have pinging once it's broken in. I guess this is good news, isn't it?

·
Registered
983 Posts
what did they fix did u ask? did they just remap the ecu?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Klui said:
I want to share the following information with you who have concern on pinging.

I just took delivery of a STI on 9/20. The Service Manager told me that (since I asked) the latest STI will not have pinging problem because Subaru of America have fixed it. Then I emailed Subaru of America to question if there will be reduction in either horsepower or torque range on the latest STI which will not have pinging problem. He said "no". So far I don't hear any pinging and I use 91 octane (in CA). However, I am observing the break-in procedure meaning I shift at or below 4000 rpm. I have yet to prove it does not have pinging once it's broken in. I guess this is good news, isn't it?
1. You will not hear pinging unless your engine revs above 4000rpm.
2. The Service Manager will tell you whatever he feels like telling you.
3. SOA will tell you whatever they feel like telling you.

I'm not saying your car WILL ping anymore than you can say that it WONT. Some people have reported pinging AFTER having their ECU reflashed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My STI was built in 07/03, and I have no pinging problems with the 92 octane we have here in Hawaii. I read from another thread that the reflashed ECU losses about 20hp. The STI's coming out must have these "newly mapped" ecu's. I hope my STI is running the advertised 300/300...

·
Registered
167 Posts
Kbi said:
My STI was built in 07/03, and I have no pinging problems with the 92 octane we have here in Hawaii. I read from another thread that the reflashed ECU losses about 20hp. The STI's coming out must have these "newly mapped" ecu's. I hope my STI is running the advertised 300/300...
I'm deinifitely glad you have no pinging with your STi.
There is actually no proof that I know of (before/after dyno runs) that the reflash results in a power loss.
How do you know that the STis coming out must have these newly mapped ECU's?

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
NDMac said:
what did they fix did u ask? did they just remap the ecu?
that and not everyone has pinging issues... how do you know you just didnt get one of the ones that doesnt ping, like me?

I'm deinifitely glad you have no pinging with your STi.
There is actually no proof that I know of (before/after dyno runs) that the reflash results in a power loss.
How do you know that the STis coming out must have these newly mapped ECU's?
Man that one is getting old too... this is such BS that everyone just bases their remarks on random rumors, especially for such an expensive car. Many people have even canceled their orders and such as the ones with pinging, need to be fixed and therefore must obviously lose hp because random people on the internet say so (or have "proof"). Otherwise you get an "ok" sti with 20hp less. Man no one has a dyno proof of this, nor does anyone have hard evidence, just rumors and crap and its stupid. That and if your car loses power, does your hp go under 300? probably not. The fact that your pinging would generally mean you're pushing too much for the stock setup (which means more then 300)... so if you lose hp I'd just figure you'd be back to where you're supposed to be..at 300, but hell I dont have any proof either, just wish all this rumor bs would stop.

Robert~

·
Registered
136 Posts
hey this might sound dumb but how can you tell if it pings? i heard you'll hear and feel it? i haven't felt anything out of the ordinary...

·
Registered
17 Posts
pioneer speakers

Well Put Staticx. Here is an e-mail I received from SOA concering the pinging issue.

As a company, we carefully monitor warranty claims and quality survey comments to watch for any trends or concerns that may lead to customer dissatisfaction.

We are glad that you are excited about the WRX STi Sedan! So far, we have not spotted any particular trends with it. Since the vehicle has only recently been released, we do not have a lot of data; but we are quite committed to customer satisfaction. As you probably know, we take a very proactive stance if we become aware of a concern via our tracking methods.

·
Registered
167 Posts
iwannasti said:
Well Put Staticx. Here is an e-mail I received from SOA concering the pinging issue.

As a company, we carefully monitor warranty claims and quality survey comments to watch for any trends or concerns that may lead to customer dissatisfaction.

We are glad that you are excited about the WRX STi Sedan! So far, we have not spotted any particular trends with it. Since the vehicle has only recently been released, we do not have a lot of data; but we are quite committed to customer satisfaction. As you probably know, we take a very proactive stance if we become aware of a concern via our tracking methods.
That is typical SOA BS.

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Black STi Window Tint

Why is it BS? Sounds like what they are doing to me. They offer a reflash what more do you want. As far as patterns, what is the percentage of STi's that ping? Mine was built 03/03 and so far in 8k miles I have not heard one ping and the few poeple I know locally have not either. People are getting pings but it seems like there is no pattern to it, octane and build date does not seem to matter.

·
Registered
167 Posts
It is BS (if this text is actually a direct quote from someone at SOA) becuase it says, "So far, we have not spotted any particular trends with it."

That's interesting. So, the reflash available for the STi's ECU is just for fun?

·
Premium Member
2,802 Posts
Like I said, they are taking care of it and because there is no particual pattern to STi's pinging I would not say they tend to ping since mine does not ping I don't think the majority of them do. Like they said the STi has only recently been released and by them offering a reflash you could say they are trying to make the customer satisfied, so I still say the reply was not BS. Now if every STi or the majority of them pinged then it would be a different story.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Subaru Logos

There is no particular pattern to them pinging, except that enough of them ping to warrant a reflash. I would consider that a "trend". If it is prevalent enough that SOA addressed it with a reflash, its an issue.
Ever since day 1 of this "ping" problem, SOA has done whatever they can to cover it up. To this day, there is no formal information from SOA addressing this issue, even though there is a reflash available.

What exactly does that say?
There is a fix for a problem that doesn't exist?

It would be a lot less frustrating if SOA would at least be forthcoming with information. I understand this is a first model year car. However, no one has formal info about this problem. What we have is a lot of speculation.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Kbi said:
Yeah, I have a 06/03 and run BP/Amoco 93 octane only and have not had any issues. Although it is pretty cool here right now - about 60-80F. I'll be interested to see what happens next summer.

-st

1 - 18 of 18 Posts