IW STi Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
I care about twin scroll. The reason is because all I have heard is how previous version STi have poor low rpm performance. The new JDM twin scroll has received a lot of praise. That's what I wanted - drivability. It just seems to me that the 2.0 ts turbo will give that better than a 2.5 turbo. We shall see. I hope to read some reviews of the drivability soon. :-?

·
Registered
392 Posts
I am content with a 2.5 L turbo. Sheez if you want that much low end torque just spend some cash and get a new turbo. Only reason you want that much low end torque is to race stop light to stop light with lil 16 yr olds or race solo II. No need for that much low end torque for 99.9% of us which probably cant even take the STI to its full potential without killing ourselves..

·
Registered
392 Posts
Well, no flames intended here but I really don't agree. (some will agree, some won't)

Why low end torque? I had 2 Eagle Talon Turbo AWD and when going at 80km/h, I had to be in 3rd gear to have "some" torque or even 2nd gear... After that, I went for a muscle car: Mustang Cobra 1999... After that, another muscle car, Corvette 2002 Z06... Why low end torque? At 2000RPM in 4th gear, you floored it, you have what, about 300lb of torque. I am not the one doing "light to ligh" racing so I'm not always running "top gear" so torque really matter to me for the opposite reason that you gave! I like that when driving "normally", you floor it and you have some feedback... That's my personnal opinion btw, I am looking at the Sti for a winter car since it's AWD and has decent performance. Of course, when you are almost only at the track, you don't need the twin scroll since you are always reving correctly... Depends of what you will do with the car! :)

Sylvain

·
Registered
392 Posts
There are only a hand full of cars that if you are going around 60mph that you can punch on fifth gear and get that fast of a response without downshifting. I race solo II and always have to race on second gear even in a M3 to get the right response. Unless your fifth gear is a mutant or you are driving a car with 400+hp and torque, you arent going to pull that fast on 5th gear.. Its called taking that whole .2 secs to down shift...

·
Registered
392 Posts
MECHANICAL
2.5-liter intercooled and turbocharged 4-cylinder boxer engine with Active Valve Control System (AVCS) 300-horsepower @ 6,000 rpm, 300 lb.-ft. of torque @ 4,000 rpm
All-Wheel Drive
Driver Controlled Center Differential (DCCD)
Mechanical limited-slip rear differential
4-wheel fully independent sport-tuned suspension with inverted front strut
6-speed manual transmission with short-throw shifter
SAFETY
Subaru All-Wheel Driving System
Front seat side-impact air bags (SRS)*
Super Sport Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) with Electronic Brake-force Distribution (EBD)
EXTERIOR
Front corner spoiler, rear spoiler, STi side ground effects
High Intensity Discharge (HID) halogen headlights
17-inch aluminum-alloy wheels with 225/45 R17 summer radials
INTERIOR
Leather-wrapped STi steering wheel
Performance design reclining front bucket seats with driver's side height adjustment

21 - 26 of 26 Posts