IW STi Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everyone just had a question, well this morning on my way to work i noticed that when i was "doin the speed limit:devil: :D " that i couldnt hit full boost the car is only letting me hit 10psi max?? last night it was running fine so i have no clue whats goin on, i checked to see if any hoses got loose but everything was snug? so if anyone gots any input thanks mods listed below

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Check for loose vacuum lines on the boost control solenoid (it's attached near the passenger side fender), the turbo compressor outlet, and the wastegate on the turbo itself.

It sounds like the car is running wastegate boost, which is around 9psi.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea i really gotta be pounding it to get even that 9-10 psi do you have a pic of what the actual boost solenoid looks like is it inside or outside the pass fender, and is wastegate boost bad? thanks

·
Registered
228 Posts
My 2006 did this about 2 months ago. I even posted here about it. In addition to it not making full boost, it would run rough from 2k - 3k rpm especially in 4th through 6th gear. At first I thought it was bad gas (it began not too long after I filled up). I checked everything that they have suggested to you. Finally I made an appointment at the dealership. However, in a few days it just went away. No more rough running and boost was back to normal. I have no clue why it happened and it hasn't happened since.

Check everything like they said, and give it a few days to see if it clears up like mine did.

P.S. All I have done so far is a Cobb Stage 1 tune (OTS). I unistalled it and it still didn't make full boost, but the roughness went away. Once it cleared up I reinstalled the tune and everything was fine.

·
Registered
228 Posts
ArizonaSTI said:
hmm ok ill make sure to check ill give it a few days? thanks
Does it run rough when you accelerate?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Same thing happened to me

I have an 05 and it did this to me yesterday evening. I was making a turn and floored it and something just did not feel right. I looked down and it was peaked at .05 in third at WOT. I tried it again and it still peaked at .05 . I thought maybe it was the heat (registered 107) so I thought I'd let it cool off. Waited 3 hours and got back in cause I needed to fill up with gas and sure enough it still peaked at .05. Overnight I disconnected the battery so it could reset the ECU. This morning I did a few runs and it was back to normal. I don't know what caused this to happen but I hope it doesn't happen again.

·
Registered
494 Posts
My car has done the same thing on and off again. It will only run wastegate boost. The next morning I start it up and BAM! my boost is back to full boost again. Kinda weird. It's so intermittent. I'm not sure if it's the wastegate itself, or the acutator, or perhaps the boost solenoid acting up. Weird.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Gamma rays maybe??? :lol:

I've noticed it time to time as well, but just attribute it to weather conditions.

If the STI doesn't like 2 of the big 3 weather conditions(humidity, barometric pressure, temp) it's a given for it to run like poo.

Prime conditions are:
1.)Less than 80°F
2.)Less than 50% humidity
3.)Above 30.00 inches of hg

Catch a day where 2 of those 3 fall within those guidelines and you'll see a nice difference.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts