IW STi Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For those of you who keep asking if i should buy current sti or wait till next year hoping for some major engine changes.
Subaru enginers recently said there will be No drivetrain changes untill 2021
“It’s not the cost, but everything goes through a production cycle. You can’t shorten that production cycle, there’s many things to consider such as durability testing and likewise. It’s not as simple as taking the turbo engine out of one car and presto, off you go. You’re talking about complete suspension tune and a development team. It’s a big process,”
But there will be an update for 2018

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Re: No Engine changes untill 2020

I saw an article about this on facebook, i think it was posted by drive or something like that. None the less, the article was very bland lol.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts

Honestly, I'll be happy if they keep the STI going. I know there are still plenty of performance cars out there, but it is such a secondary thing for Subaru. Yes, you have an incredibly intense niche out there for the STI, but it's not like some of the German cars etc where performance is somewhat of a priority for a much higher percentage of customers. For Subaru, you have the WRX/STI crowd, and I guess you rope the BRZ people in with that (although arguably the performance is not there), and then you have the rest of the Subaru owners that are pretty different. I have my fingers crossed for a big improvement in performance all around, and I would not mind seeing a five door return (though I do enjoy the sedan as well), but I'll also be pretty satisfied if they don't nix it haha.

·
Registered
637 Posts

I'm glad they waited, personally I think the FA20 in stock form is pretty horrible. It had a lot more lag than I was expecting, then it falls flat over 5k rpm, it's not smooth, you can feel adjustments being made by the ECU as it accelerates, etc... In comparison the '15+ STi EJ motor is as good as it's ever been and the stock tune is pretty decent. Most EJs don't have oil consumption issues anymore either, my '14 WRX used none and so far so good on my '16 STi after 2k miles (knock on wood!).

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay since 2018 got face lift now, it will be in production for another 3 years thats for sure, so no engine changes till 2021.

·
Premium Member
5,291 Posts

Most EJs don't have oil consumption issues anymore either, my '14 WRX used none and so far so good on my '16 STi after 2k miles (knock on wood!).

The kids I know would say "then you're' not doin it right" :) . . . (referring to driving)

·
Registered
93 Posts
I think it's more of issue of what Subaru wants to replace the engine with! FA series motor with larger stroke and bore. But there are some problems with that no Unequal length headers which the car has come with since production began. Some people do like the noise even thou its not efficient.

Then there is hybrid assist subaru has already dabbed with the xv in North america and the impreza in Japan. If they were to use hybrid drive to assist the turbocharger in spool and overall performance.

The 6pot brakes are interesting upgrade to the 2018 since the compliants about sti brakes aren't a big deal which subaru could be testing with a heavier/faster platform where the the 4pots can't keep up.

I would be more interested in either a speced up ej207(factory blouch 20g/1/5xtr) or a deal with porsche for the 718 cayman S engine use.

I really like the new impreza so hopefully a hatch comes back to the wrx and sti lineup.

·
Registered
725 Posts
every gen runs for atleast 6 years.
Which generations? The GR WRX/STi, sure. The GD WRX was first for sale in 2002 (USDM) and stopped in 2007. And now that the WRX/STi has been officially separated from the Impreza name...

Guess we'll have to wait and see! No surprise since STI themselves have always kept secrets well.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Which generations? The GR WRX/STi, sure. The GD WRX was first for sale in 2002 (USDM) and stopped in 2007. And now that the WRX/STi has been officially separated from the Impreza name...

Guess we'll have to wait and see! No surprise since STI themselves have always kept secrets well.
Theres just no reason for subaru to put out an all new sti so early after 18 sti update, they dont need to rush, also theyre demand so high that they had to stop sales in some countries to focus on main markets like USA and canada.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I've had 2 STis as daily drivers since 2007. I love them because they mod easily and cheaply and make significant and mostly reliable power gains , go anywhere in any weather, can fit a lot of isht in them, great resale value, and so many parts available because of how old the motor is. Mine were modded almost immediately. I don't think I can drive a stock STi anymore.

We have been hearing about a new motor for years. All the while, Mustangs, Camaros and many other cars have increased their power, performance, styling and fuel efficiency so much that the face lifted STi just can't hang. In 2004 doing sub 5 sec 0-60, 13.xx quarter mile, trapping 100 mph and pulling close to 1g were exceptional and made the STi a giant killer. Now I think Kia Optimas do those numbers. It's kind of pathetic that a 13 year old STi performs basically the same as a new one.

The STi needs a new, more powerful motor. I would like a turbo 6 please. Otherwise I will just keep modding my 2011 STi so it remains relevant.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've had 2 STis as daily drivers since 2007. I love them because they mod easily and cheaply and make significant and mostly reliable power gains , go anywhere in any weather, can fit a lot of isht in them, great resale value, and so many parts available because of how old the motor is. Mine were modded almost immediately. I don't think I can drive a stock STi anymore.

We have been hearing about a new motor for years. All the while, Mustangs, Camaros and many other cars have increased their power, performance, styling and fuel efficiency so much that the face lifted STi just can't hang. In 2004 doing sub 5 sec 0-60, 13.xx quarter mile, trapping 100 mph and pulling close to 1g were exceptional and made the STi a giant killer. Now I think Kia Optimas do those numbers. It's kind of pathetic that a 13 year old STi performs basically the same as a new one.

The STi needs a new, more powerful motor. I would like a turbo 6 please. Otherwise I will just keep modding my 2011 STi so it remains relevant.
Im actually happy that subarus kept with same drivetrain since the beginning, unlike other manufactures that ruined their cars by switching to automatic only, weaker drivetrains, replacing big naturaly aspired engines with weak turbo ones, and just packing their cars with soo much electronics that car becomes unreliable.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Lol Kia optimal can't run 0-60 in 4.6 seconds or run the quarter at 13.0s @ 105 mph or top 160 let alone are able to all of those thing lmao. It took the domestic sports cars 7 years (starting from 2004) to start building cars close to the sti price range that could match those times and it took 400++ horsepower engines for them to do it....the sti is still basically in a class by itself the Evo is gone and the rs is barely any better with 50 more horsepower

·
Registered
4,953 Posts

Kia optima 2.0 turbo takes 6.4 - 6.8 seconds from 0-60 bas price is 38,000 for the "performance" version...not exactly in the same performance envelope as a 2004 sti let alon e a 2015-2017

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Why people judging sports cars by 0-60? Or quarter mile?
Im in sti for its handling, drivetrain durability, awd, manual, looks, sound. And speed.
Brz is much slower than sti but its still real nice balanced sports car thats fun to drive, even tho it doesnt have much power.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
Why people judging sports cars by 0-60? Or quarter mile?
Im in sti for its handling, drivetrain durability, awd, manual, looks, sound. And speed.
Brz is much slower than sti but its still real nice balanced sports car thats fun to drive, even tho it doesnt have much power.
Umm, I didn't simply reference the 0-60 capability of the STI, I also listed the 1/4 mile capability and the top speed capability...its the combination of those things that are still relatively strong in its price range and for a car with 305 horsepower.. Its faster from 0-100 than the 350 horse RS for example. There is also the humungous aftermarket of performance parts available for the STI..good quality parts as well, that allow it to be built up into a giant killer if one wants.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts