IW STi Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's goin on guys. I was talking to my friend earlier today, I was telling him about how nice the subies sound with a TBE, in response he was telling me how a few of his friends were pulled over by police. The cop had noticed they had no cats. I'm not sure if they had impounded his car and put it under inspection or not, but he said he was given a $3,000 fine. I live in New York, so if anyone has any information on this law, enlighten me :)

A few side notes / questions.

Ever since I got my car, I kept noticing more and more STi's! (not a bad thing).

and

I rarely drive my car right now, cause of school and work. But whenever I do, when accelerating I hear a whistling sound. It sounds like the super charger in a cobra, but lower in volume. Not sure if this is a problem with any of you guys, I read the previous threads about a whistling, but it was never given a real answer.
I was also reading up on reflashing the ECU. I picked my car up less then a week ago, but im not sure when the car was actually made. The question is basically, if I'm not seeing any problems that could be caused by the ECU, i shouldn't have it reflashed. Right?

Thanks a lot,
-Raza

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hrmmm you probably right. I will look more into the next time I take her out for a spin.

Hey sin, I beleive you made a post about taking the silencer out of yoru intake? You also had pictures. Is that correct?

-Raza

·
Registered
316 Posts
No need to reflash unless you have problems. Just keep it 4000rpms and below for the break in period. make sure you vary the rpms when possible. They say its better for the break in.--Sin52

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sin, check your pms.

-Raza

·
Registered
36 Posts
I wouldn't know about the law, but removing the catalytic converters will produce about 9 times as much cancerous and environmentally hazardous shit (and the car already puts out a fair bit of that shit to begin with). So, if you are thinking about it, please don't be selfish and arrogant and consider the health of others.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Removing the cats on a street driven vehicle is ILLEGAL and will get you in trouble if you get caught. There isn't much more to it.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Yes, driving without cats is very illegal and carries stiff fines of at least $1000, though your $3000 example certainly sounds plausible.

Cats are highly regulated, in fact, it is illegal to CHANGE your cat if it is less than 70k miles unless it is malfunctioning or damaged. But that particular law isn't really enforced as long as you have a cat of some sort on.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, i thought what the guy was telling me was a little exaggeration. I never knew it was so serious. Is there anything that's legal that can compare to the performance/sound of a downpipe? I know someone has mentioned Free-Flow. Is that the best thing to get, and still be legal?

-Raza

·
Registered
389 Posts
If I recall right, there are states that will repo your car for not having CAT... And keep it

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
NO CATS = like a 40HP increase!!! whoooo NO CATS =)

to the hazrdious air, well buddy speak for the big diesel semi trucks that pour loads on end of big black burnt well half burnt diesel fuel and then come on here and talk about peoples health!!! =)

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
No kidding. Until we get those dirty pieces of diesel crap off of the road, my guilt level is reading on the negative end of the scale.

Besides that, a catless properly tuned modern car doesn't even need a cat to beat out the emissions of cars built just 15 years ago.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
AMEN snax!

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
A properly maintained diesel vehicle will have better emissions than your uncatted car.

As will a car built 15 years ago, and probably one built 25 years ago.

A "properly tuned" car isn't going to magically alter your emissions. (Cars that fail emissions tests usually have an exhaust system problem or a cylinder thats not firing.) Unless you're running very slow, burning very hot, and running an EXTREMELY thin A/F mixture, your car is putting out the same things are a car made 15, 25, or 50 years ago did. The cats are pretty much the only, or at least the biggest, difference. And on a car running boost this is even more true. (Although fuel injection vs. carbueration does have some affect on this.)

There are other ways to make power, and you should feel guilty about putting cheap HP over being able to attain the power and not pollute more than necessary.

If you take off your cats at the track, that's one thing, but if you leave them off on a daily driver, you're just being stupid and irresponsible. You don't need a catless exhaust flow on the street.

·
Registered
36 Posts
So you feel good about it because there are still others who do the same? That is bizarre reasoning. Somehow, poisioning 9 times as much (for basically nothing in return) is justified in your minds because there is always something worse out there.

There is always someone worse out there. Either you are part of the problem or part of the solution. You do not have to take responsibility for the actions of others. At the end of the day, you only are accountable for your own actions.

With cancer and that nasty stuff, you are giving it to people you probably don't know. And it is impossible to trace it to YOU. So you don't have to face the victims of the suffering you caused. Cancer and pollution is a big, serious problem. I personally know someone who died from throat cancer. I certainly could not live with myself if I knew I was commiting crimes by giving other people cancer over a few hp's and 'cool'.

I would like to point out that WRC Cars such as the WRC Impreza 03, use three-way catalytic converters.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Re: EVO wing on STi

look on the bright side of things we all die eventually! j/p come on guys smile, i personally dont drive my STi on a daily basis thats what my focus is for !!!

But i can understand where your comen from, now heres a question what about the harleys and crotch rockets, mine doesnt come with a cat lol so what am i gonna do? not drive it......=)

·
Registered
348 Posts
Wow, let's not get carried away, folks. Maybe if every car on the road was running catless, then there would be something to worry about. But if 1/1000 of 1% of the vehicles on the road are running catless, then that is nothing to get worked up about. And if you think that a few cars running catless are causing people to die from cancer, then your environmental extemism has put you out of touch with reality (which is typical of environmental extremists). Get a grip.

·
Registered
36 Posts
We are not getting carried away. You cannot escape accountability for your actions, saying that 'meh, everyone does it'. It justifies nothing. All cars with combustion engines put out that poision, which is bad enough. It gets worse, usually, the larger and stronger the engine is. That is with catalytic converters.

So my question is, what makes you think you have the right to put out 9 times (at least) as much poision that you poision people with for a few cheap HP? That is the height of arrogance. Thinking that your few hp is worth the trade of giving people shit like bronchial and respiratory disorders (asthma in children), premature deaths from respiratory diseases, lead- poisoning, headaches, impaired lung function, higher risk of viral infections, coughing, eye nose & throat irritations, heart-disease, leukemia & cancer.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.