IW STi Forum banner

81 - 100 of 571 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Re: My first engine build.

The latter would be good, however I've seen that different plates can yield different results which makes me question how necessary they are or which one more accurately simulates a head. There was a difference of around .001" I believe in a comparison.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #82

"Necessary" is entirely debatable.

But checking clearances with and without one, especially when one was used to bore/hone the block, "should" result in completely different results. At least checking WITH a torque plate the measurements "should" be much closer to the measurements the machine shop got. Whereas without a plate isn't even gonna be close since the block is now in a relaxed state, as opposed to "warped"/distorted.

(Sorry for stating the obvious, I really needed to spell it out for myself to justify the cost of one. I can always turn around and sell it when I'm done with it.)

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #83

I gotta torque plate coming in next week, thanks to Team Scream! :cool::tup:

Sooo.... does anyone have a used head gasket I could use under the plate?
I don't wanna use my brand new HG's.

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts

Can you pm me pricing and contact info, if you don't mind?

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #89 (Edited)

Just hit this today :p

In celebration of this milestone, on the way are; Koyo radiator, Samco rad hoses, Gates timing belt kit w/ water pump, 2qts Motul 90A, and 5qts of 75w90 Extra-S :tup:

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #90

I'm gonna tell a story, in pictures.

In honor of 100K miles, I got toyyssssss!!! :D

Playing around with my block and torque plate (teaser alert :cool:), I realized;
1) I need nuts/washers for my head studs. I'm "thinking" of just Home Depot nuts just for checking bore/OOR/taper (obviously not gonna run these :lol:), unless someone advises otherwise. Or else I'll bite the bullet and finally buy the ARP studs.
2) I need to clean the internal threads of the block for the head studs. So I went to Home Depot to try to find small round wire brushes that fit in there to clean them, but nothing :p

It was the lastttt bolt that is always the problem one! Luckily its not the big case bolt, just the smaller 12mm bolt, pulled the threads out :mad::mad::(

I only have about 1.5hrs of daylight to work on her after work for the t-belt job. 3hrs down so far, have the rad/fans out, crank pulley, covers, t-belt, bearings, tensioner, and water pump out.

Gonna get 2 more cans of Brakleen today to clean behind the timing covers after this fiasco like a year ago
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2-5-liter-litre-factory-motor/230648-accessory-pulley-rubbing-against-timing-cover.html

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #92

Haha but no really, my jetski blew up AGAIN and I been diagnosing that cuz I wanna go ridddinggg in this 110 degree heat.

But now that I'm seeing how much oil my stock block is burning @ 104K miles, I really need to hurry this build up.

Just bought some ARP head studs since they were holding me up from checking P2W w/ the torque plate, than final assembly.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #93 (Edited)

Of course as soon as I put money into the engine build, something else breaks on the car.

Cobb 24mm FSB >> stock endlinks :lol:
Time to look for some Kartboys :tup:

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts

Easy fix and you already know where to go. But hear you on unexpected issues.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #95 (Edited)

Apparently I hate money :lol::lol:

Just picked this up this past weekend- SC'd, 215hp, yea buddy! :tup:

·
Registered
566 Posts

Nice boat. I have a 98 xp limited and 96 xp. Both are way over modified. The 98 will run 67 on radar. But it drinks gas like beer.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #97 (Edited)

Those 98's are so cool looking the way the rear seat just hangs off :tup:

I got it 100% completely stock. I've already upgraded the ceramic supercharger washers which are known for destroying the entire motor with SS washers, and I have an HKS SSQV just laying around which I might as well use, I just need an adaptor tube/flange. Also have a boost gauge laying around too. Looking at 4" intakes, thru hull exhausts, ughhh :lol:

My SC on top of my turbo :D

·
Registered
64 Posts

What's going on here? Any updates? Did you finish everything and swap in the new motor?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
81 - 100 of 571 Posts