IW STi Forum banner

41 - 60 of 571 Posts

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Re: My first engine build.

So I just got my Cometic master gasket kit from RSD yesterday, forgetting about that I'm not at stock bore anymore (99.75)
But when ordering/checking out, there weren't any options for 99.5mm, 99.75, or 100 for the head gaskets.

Rather than ripping open the package to see if the bore of the HG is smaller than the cylinder, I'll just ask if there are different sized HG's for different bores?

Also T bore gauged the mains the other night.... was getting between .002 - .004, grrrrr :mad::mad:.
Time to order some std sized ACL race :p

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #42

Interesting; just called RSD about the HG/bore question after only finding 100mm and up HG's on their site, he assured me Cosworth uses 101mm HG's for all their builds from 99.5 - 101mm, and told me to call my machine shop.

So I called my buddies @ Rallispec again, where they said Subaru HG's are already over-sized, and that I'll be fine with the 101mm Cometic HG, good :tup:

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts

Looking good for the most part.

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts

Any update?

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #46

Yup since the HX main's were wayyyy too big, ordered and received some STD size ACL race's, I've T-bore gauged them once with much better results, between .017-.025, so I gotta play with the STD and HX's to get .015".

I've also had a buncha other projects too, like my jetski broke and the ECU needs to be rebuilt for $600, some old lady wants to give me a '97 celica convertible that runs for FREE, I'm gonna turn down my front rotors on one of our grinding machines after work today, etc etc..... :lol:

·
Banned
70 Posts

Yup since the HX main's were wayyyy too big, ordered and received some STD size ACL race's, I've T-bore gauged them once with much better results, between .017-.025, so I gotta play with the STD and HX's to get .015".

I've also had a buncha other projects too, like my jetski broke and the ECU needs to be rebuilt for $600, some old lady wants to give me a '97 celica convertible that runs for FREE, I'm gonna turn down my front rotors on one of our grinding machines after work today, etc etc..... :lol:
If you got .017 with the standard bearings in the case you aren't going to get to .
015 by mixing in extra clearance bearings.

If you want them all that tight you are going to have to cut the case and line hone it.

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts

Well get cracking!

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #49

If you got .017 with the standard bearings in the case you aren't going to get to .
015 by mixing in extra clearance bearings.

If you want them all that tight you are going to have to cut the case and line hone it.

Yea I realized how dumb that sounded after I replied hahaha

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #50

I know, I've been slacking, sry guis :(

Good main bearing clearances;
#1 = .0014". #3 = .0018". #4 = .0018". #5 = .0015"

#2 is pretty loose tho, .0022". I think I gotta order some .025 oversized ACL's, just for #2 bearing :p:rolleyes:

This is pretty much the last thing keeping me from assembling teh short block for good.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #51

Ok I'm very very close with the mains;

#1: .0014"
2: .0019
3: .0018
4: .0018
5: .0018

#1 is already a full HX bearing, and its still the tightest.

At my work, we have grinding machines that grind bearings down to the tenths with VERY good surface finishes, and we also have a full machine shop.
Is it wise to grind the ID of the bearing, or would that possibly ruin the coating/top layer of lead-tin-copper?

·
Registered
1,174 Posts

Subscribed.... Props for a DIY build.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #53

Phewww very very good news. The reason #1 was tight was cuz it was half HX, half STD bearing. Put both HX's in #1, now I got the mains at: .0018, .0020, .0018, .0018, .0019, perfect!
So lets recap, my mains consist of;
#1: Full HX
2: Full +.025 oversize
3: Full STD
4: Full STD
5: Half HX/Half STD.

Not too happy I had to buy 3 sets of ACL race's, but w/e, they're finally in spec.

And rods are; .0021, .0020, .0020, .0022, all are HX's, awesome! :tup:

I already got assembly lube and the entire gasket kit, I just gotta pickup a tube of grey permatex sealer, than I'm ready for final assembly! :):cool::tup::D

·
Super Moderator
10,688 Posts

Get'er done!

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #55

Final assembly is on hold until the rotating assembly gets balanced, and the shops that I'm calling are saying they also need the flywheel and crank pulley to balance everything.

So now I'm shopping for clutches/flywheels. I had an Exedy Stage 1 clutch and Fidanza 8lb flywheel in my old prelude and liked both of them, altho 8lb was a bit extreme for a DD.
Since this will remain my DD, I'm liking the ACT StreetLite 15lb FW, and Exedy Stage 1 HD that's rated for 402ftlb to the wheels.

·
Registered
7,626 Posts

Great documentation. I want to build my own block whenever I find a cheap set of case halves. I'll be sure to look through here when I do it. :D

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Discussion Starter #57

Bad news..... got laid off yesterday :(:(

I got a week of severance, can collect unemployment, but I'm smart enough to know not to build a motor with my unemployment money. This is my first day off, and I'm already bored outta my skull of watching House and Gangland :lol:

Whats left to do/buy, in rough order;
flywheel, rotating assembly balancing, assemble block/crank/rods/pistons, oil pump, oil pickup, water pump/t-belt/tensioners, ARP head studs, and clutch.
Maybe, just maybe, if I'm good at saving (which I usually am), I'll do like one part per month. We'll see.

·
Registered
407 Posts

Bad news..... got laid off yesterday :(:(

I got a week of severance, can collect unemployment, but I'm smart enough to know not to build a motor with my unemployment money. This is my first day off, and I'm already bored outta my skull of watching House and Gangland :lol:

Whats left to do/buy, in rough order;
flywheel, rotating assembly balancing, assemble block/crank/rods/pistons, oil pump, oil pickup, water pump/t-belt/tensioners, ARP head studs, and clutch.
Maybe, just maybe, if I'm good at saving (which I usually am), I'll do like one part per month. We'll see.
That stinks man. I got canned about 18 months ago and decided to use my GI Bill money and unemployment to finish off my BS in Mechanical Engineering. As it stands now my STi is sitting in the garage under a sheet with a spun rod bearing. It stinks, but I picked up an old beat-up Jetta for $800 to get around in until I can build the engine back up.

Smart move to try to save up your unemployment. Never know when something serious might come up and wipe you out.

41 - 60 of 571 Posts