IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy was showing me his turbo'ed IS300 the other day. He's got a beautiful car with one of the cleanest engine bays i've seen. Anway, something that really stuck out was the turbo blanket he had. It was an really good design and looked like it did an awesome job keeping the heat down. A lot nicer than some of these other turbo wraps I've seen.

$150 is too much for me to justify spending on a turbo blanket, but I thought some of you might be interested.

http://boostlogic.com/parts/supra/info_supra_T4Blanket.html

I'm not sure which turbo's it'll fit though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
745 Posts
I'm interested in this. Not sure it would fit a subie turbo though as this blanket is made for a T4 turbo which has different housings/flanges.

LRM1981 said:
My buddy was showing me his turbo'ed IS300 the other day. He's got a beautiful car with one of the cleanest engine bays i've seen. Anway, something that really stuck out was the turbo blanket he had. It was an really good design and looked like it did an awesome job keeping the heat down. A lot nicer than some of these other turbo wraps I've seen.

$150 is too much for me to justify spending on a turbo blanket, but I thought some of you might be interested.

http://boostlogic.com/parts/supra/info_supra_T4Blanket.html

I'm not sure which turbo's it'll fit though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,469 Posts
i've got a big sheet of thermo tec aluminized heat barrier, i'm sure it'll get the job done too.


J.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,267 Posts
I use the static x turbo wrap that cost me around $30 and have been quite satisfied. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
745 Posts
I've used the thermotec turbo wrap on two of my turbos now and it does OK. I can't help but think something like that pictured in the link would do a whole lot better though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
I have the boost logic turbo blanket for my garret rotated turbo and it was WAY worth it. You should know... you felt how thick it was... it's not just a lyaer of heat protection... it's filled with I don't know what but it's thick and VERY good. It also fits T3 footed turbos, as told to me by Boost Logic themselves (and my actual experience).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
142 Posts
I have one on my rotated as well and it works great. Not a boostlogic, but pretty much the same as the picture. Really keeps temps down.

-Mike
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,510 Posts
jph said:
i've got a big sheet of thermo tec aluminized heat barrier, i'm sure it'll get the job done too.J.
Just to clarify: you're using the actual thick, asbestos heat wrap underneath the thin "aluminized" layer, right?

I sure hope so...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,469 Posts
Flycaster said:
Just to clarify: you're using the actual thick, asbestos heat wrap underneath the thin "aluminized" layer, right?

I sure hope so...
i don't know about the "asbestos" part. i was hoping that it was less toxic, like <s>fiberglass</s> (edit) glass fiber :)




J.
 

·
Registered
2019 WRX
Joined
·
4,512 Posts
JJ18Sniper said:
I use the static x turbo wrap that cost me around $30 and have been quite satisfied. :)
+1 I'm about to order it right now
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,082 Posts
Isn't there a point where keeping too much heat in the turbo is a bad idea?

For example, StaticX says not to use more than 1 wrap on the turbo at a time, right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
745 Posts
In theory, I think the answer is yes. If you have a quality turbine housing the heat retention shouldn't damage them though. After all, that is a big part of what the turbine housing's function is.. To retain heat to spin the turbine.

The only turbine housings I've ever heard of cracking are ones that had a manufacturing problem. For example, lots of VF39 turbine housings had cracks at one point in time (according to DB). The AVO turbos had some bad turbine housings and some people had cracks a while back. When a turbine housing cracks, it's due to a mfg defect. I've never heard of one cracking for any other reason save somebody porting it too much where they took so much material off they weakened the structural integrity of the housing.

I ran two layers of the thermotec turbo blanket on one of my turbos with no ill effect...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
742 Posts
Q......

Is there any benifits of wraping the stock parts with heat wrap? Also what are other parts you should wrap other then the turbo to keep temps under the hood down?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,510 Posts
Gami004pilot said:
Is there any benifits of wraping the stock parts with heat wrap? Also what are other parts you should wrap other then the turbo to keep temps under the hood down?
Yep. The truth is there is nothing you can do about block heat but you can effectively minimize exhaust heat. Ideally, you should wrap the exhaust manifold/headers, up-pipe, turbo, and the down-pipe. In short, wrap everything that gets hot exhaust thru it which will dump a bunch of extra heat into the engine compartment.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,510 Posts
jph said:
i don't know about the "asbestos" part. i was hoping that it was less toxic, like fiberglass
I can't tell from the picture, but as long as you aren't using just the ouside reflective layer on the hot parts with none of the thicker underlayer, you're OK. That stuff is not designed to handle 2K+ degrees and I've seen it burn right off. The stuff I'm talking about is much better suited to serve as a reflective layer to cover the FMIC piping.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
745 Posts
stirob said:
Does it hurt to wrap a turbo thats been coated?
Nope.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,267 Posts
pt518sti said:
Isn't there a point where keeping too much heat in the turbo is a bad idea?

For example, StaticX says not to use more than 1 wrap on the turbo at a time, right?

Some heat needs to escape... or the turbo will most likely wear in a shorter period of time. I have the static x wrap and I did actually feel a slight improvement in warm weather, as in less heatsoak from the turbo to the intercooler. The wrap does not cover the entire turbo either, just one side, allowing it to still radiate some heat.
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top