IW STi Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
181 - 200 of 233 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Re: New X-brace Group Buy!

My problem is a bit different than what you described. I didn't take the turnbuckle apart from the upper arm. What happens is on one set, I can screw the turnbuckle all the way up the upper arm so that there is no space left on either side of the nut. On the other set, I screw it up trying to get all the way up to the upper arm and when there was a few mm left I met some resistance so I couldn't tighten it anymore with my arms. Then I tried to use a wrench and I guess I applied so much force that now I can't unscrew it any more. One set, I could use my hand and get it all the way screwed in, the other I couldn't and by using a wrench I think it striped or jumped a thread or something. Regardless, I can't unscrew one of the turnbuckle/upper arm set no matter what I do.

I'm worried that if I go to a shop and they are able to unscrew it, the threads inside might now be unusable.
I had a similar problem where one turnbuckle was able to be completely threaded while the other gave me a lot of resistance once I had It threaded most of the way by hand and then used a wrench, I think this is where I messed up the threads.

·
Registered
365 Posts

This has to be the biggest PITA of all time. I'm almost positive mine has a defect in it. I have spent the last 5 hours trying to install this thing, and there is no way in hell this thing will fit! Just to make sure, I took everything off and just tried fitting the bottom half of the x with the 4 bolts, and only 3 line up. The remaining hole (the bolt that holds down the seat), does not fit with without enlarging the hole. For $400, I expected for this to fit perfectly! I also noticed the brackets on the video are different from the one I received. Mine has the nut welded on. I'm guessing that this is what is throwing mine so off when I try to tie everything together.

I'm not trying to be an A** or anything, but this is just ridiculous for an install. My coilovers alone only took me 3.5 hours to do myself for the first time. No way this can be more difficult. Its obvious that a lot of people are complaining as well.

·
Registered
557 Posts

It is recommended with this install to do it with the vehicle on the ground or in the air? I would guess the ground would be best but it would have to be perfectly level and the rear tires have even treadwear no?

·
Registered
295 Posts

It is recommended with this install to do it with the vehicle on the ground or in the air? I would guess the ground would be best but it would have to be perfectly level and the rear tires have even treadwear no?
I think having the car level will be way more important than one tire beings slighly more worn than the other.

·
Registered
183 Posts

100% on the ground. The instructions specifically say the car needs to be on the ground.

·
Registered
40 Posts

To those having trouble with X-Brace installations:

1. Firstly, we apologize. First time installations typically take 1 to 2 hours. Experienced installs have been as quick as 20 minutes. Anything over 3 hours is irregular.

2. Please be careful not to cross thread the turnbuckles!

3. The turnbuckles come pre-threaded with anti-seize but as 1 member has already had a turnbuckle seize, we recommend you add more. Be careful not to touch clothes, fabric, carpet, etc. after using anti-seize.

4. Car being on "level" ground. Please do not take this too literally. No paved surface is perfectly level, as it is (or should be) designed to drain water. Anything close will be fine. A garage, normal driveway, street etc. If a corner of the car is noticeably more loaded than the others, you will have a problem. Otherwise you should be fine.

5. The strut cap design is new from what is shown in the install video. The new strut cap is significantly lighter, stronger, allows for adjustable coilovers, and has the nut welded onto the back to make installation easier. Only the original prototype braces had the strut cap seen in the video. The welded nut on the strut cap will have no negative affect on the install process or alignment.

6. The centerplate is intended to meet all variances in '02 - '07 WRXs and STIs. In very rare cases, one of the holes needs to be inlarged (bottom right i believe) to lineup. This has happened only a couple times that we know of. If you have this problem, I dremil tool should do the trick otherwise we can correct the part for you.

For any additional questions or comments please contact Andrew @:

(714) 532-0192

·
Registered
1,177 Posts

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #188

My problem is a bit different than what you described. I didn't take the turnbuckle apart from the upper arm. What happens is on one set, I can screw the turnbuckle all the way up the upper arm so that there is no space left on either side of the nut. On the other set, I screw it up trying to get all the way up to the upper arm and when there was a few mm left I met some resistance so I couldn't tighten it anymore with my arms. Then I tried to use a wrench and I guess I applied so much force that now I can't unscrew it any more. One set, I could use my hand and get it all the way screwed in, the other I couldn't and by using a wrench I think it striped or jumped a thread or something. Regardless, I can't unscrew one of the turnbuckle/upper arm set no matter what I do.

I'm worried that if I go to a shop and they are able to unscrew it, the threads inside might now be unusable.
Well, you can only try to separate it at this point so if it is damaged let us know and we will get you another turnbuckle.

·
Registered
365 Posts

K guys. I finally got mine installed. I tackled it again yesterday and re-did everything in about 2 hours (my previous attempt the day before took me 4-5 hours and I got no where). I found my own trick to install it. Hope this helps.

First, I recommend test fitting the bottom piece. Make sure all the 4 holes line up. If not, pull out a dremel and correct that. (I had to do this. My bottom driver side hole did not fit, so I enlarged it).

Install the passenger side just like the HSPN video demonstrates. When attaching the bottom piece to the passenger side turnbuckle, align to where it will fit the 4 holes below.

Once everything fits, go ahead and put the 3 strut bolts in, but don't tighten it down. Leave as much play as possible.

Now, install the driver side turn buckle and screw it all the way down (this is the new trick I discovered from here on)
Once all the way in, do not put in the driver side mount in yet. Instead put the remaining poll in and screw it in by hand. Screw it down all the way to the bottom.

At this point, you should have the full X going. Now you will need to force the strut mount in. I did a bunch of wiggling, but it fell into place perfectly.
If successful, you will now notice the bar is to low now (this is because you screwed it all the way down to get the strut mount to squeeze in).

Screw on the 3 strut bolts but don't tighten down. Leave as much play as possible.

Now use a wrench, and turn the turn buckle to raise it back up. It will eventually raise high enough to align with the hole to put in your remaining 14mm bolt.

Once that bolt is in, continue to turn the driver side turn buckle until it aligns with the 4 holes in the bottom.

Now you can finally bolt down the bottom piece, then tighten down the strut bolts, the 2 14mm bolts, and the final 2 nuts on the turn buckle on each side.

Hope this helps you guys out for those that haven't installed it yet. It takes time and patients, as I have learned that the hard way.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts

I absolutely agree with WRXridah. With those helpful tips I was able to successfully install my xbrace. The instructions that came with it really do no good..

I can't believe how big of a difference the brace makes. It feels like i just put a sway bar on my car except with more chassis support....INCREDIBLE!

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #192

I absolutely agree with WRXridah. With those helpful tips I was able to successfully install my xbrace. The instructions that came with it really do no good..

I can't believe how big of a difference the brace makes. It feels like i just put a sway bar on my car except with more chassis support....INCREDIBLE!
We are going to put these suggestions based on personal experiences into a supplemental instructional sheet.

·
Registered
365 Posts

The included instructions and video from HSPN are based on the older style strut mounts. This is why it seems to be so difficult to install the brace if you are following those.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #195

We've updated the backup/notify list of people waiting for the next X-Brace Group Buy. Because so many same people have also expressed interest in the upcoming Carbon Fiber Driveshaft Group, we will use the list to give advance notice of that Group Buy also. Let us know if we've missed anyone.

·
Registered
741 Posts

mine seized as well, but I have less than an 1/8th inch bow in the one side. Without getting all new parts except the strut mounts there is nothing I can do.

181 - 200 of 233 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.