IW STi Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I have a 2018 STI that I’ve Been working on for about 2 years and here is my current Engine mod list.
Cobb intake
Cobb accessport
Nameless turbo back exhaust
AEM high flow fuel pump
Cobb flex fuel sensor kit
Cobb fuel rails
Cobb 1050 injectors
Flex fuel tune
333WHP/360T

Just trying to get some ideas about what to do next to get closer to that 400WHP area or just above it and try to get there safely. My goal is to build a pretty quick car but still keep it reliable to drive around town / on road trips. It will be more of a show car.

What are some ideas for the next set of performance mods? Would a turbo kit or cams be the better route?

Also at what point do i consider getting parts that help keep temperatures down or help with preventing any expensive breaks like a transmission fan, Turbo heat shield, catch can, rods etc. i hope this is all making sense. Thank you for your feedback its much appreciated.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
For performance mods i think you should add ELH. You will see some real nice gains especially with E85 but it still wont put you at 400whp. You will need a larger turbo to get there and you may want to consider a built block at that point too.

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you don't already have an AOS, I would add that as soon as possible. As Jay11STI said, you will need a bigger turbo to get to 400whp and I also recommend the ELH. You should also consider an upgraded TMIC like Grimmspeeds or a FMIC. If you go front mount, I highly recommend the Verus hood scoop block off plate. It significantly helps keep engine temps down when you no longer have a TMIC. If you put 400whp on the stock block, you should plan on needing to rebuild the motor with a closed deck block. I live in MD and my stock block blew a rod bearing on my way home from SC, not fun. Maybe the most importan advice is to constantly check your oil and NEVER let it run low at all.

·
Registered
711 Posts
if you are shooting for 400... that means a bigger turbo. which usually means building a block to handle it.

The best bang for the buck item for heat management is a turbo blanket. A great lava blanket did wonders for me.

but if you are building a show car then get a front mount kit from ets (which has a good equal length header) and just keep your hood closed.

I have a ton of stuff done to mine and most of the stuff I'm really proud of you can't see.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
It really depends on the dyno, but a stretch to get there on the stock turbo. As others have said, a well designed EL header will get you a nice bump in power and width of powerband. Add EWG to the mix, and you'll gain a smidge more, and again, broaden the curve a bit more.

if you really want to do everything you can on the stock turbo, TGV deletes and a turbo inlet will help, but at your power level, not a lot.

As far as turbo, consider you may need to make some other upgrades; fuel pressure sensor, regulator, etc.. will add some fueling safety. Cams, I'd never consider unless you're doing an engine rebuild and shooting for +600whp. They just add too high a probability of wear and reliability issues, especially on a car you want to use as a 'reliable' daily driver.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts