IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Re: Cheap seat support improvement!

went to the vishnu dyno day today in his shop.

stage 1 is offered with a full turbo back and a xede (i think..) piggy back box.

initial price is $2100.

imo, i dont like the sound of the exhaust. too noisy. almost a ticket-me sound.

254 was the number the silver sti was putting out on kalifornia 91 octane crappy gas.

one of vishnu's employee tells me up to 10 more hp with higher octane gas (read: race gas).

i rode in the car afterwards. they were giving rides to sti owners so it was like a "buy me" session. ;) the 3 or 4 who rode with shiv was amazed. the owner himself said it got there faster.

remember, vishnu's dyno run lower numbers. stock for this car was around 215'ish. i forget. but keep track in the i-club's BAIC forum when pixs and graph will show up soon...

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
perhaps there is a silencer for the exhaust that wasnt fitted? i say wait for sema, there will be alot of upgrade kits for STi released

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Sema is coming up in November in Las Vegas!!!!

eatV8 said:
perhaps there is a silencer for the exhaust that wasnt fitted? i say wait for sema, there will be alot of upgrade kits for STi released

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sema = association for everything aftermarket.

www.sema.org

they do great work for protecting rights of vehicle owners. their annual convention/show in las vegas is a car lover's fantasy come true.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm very interested in the Vishnu stage one, but the thing I was afraid of was excess noise. I think the stock STI exhaust sounds almost too quiet, but a loud pipe will be too draining for my every day work car. Thanks for the info on the sound!!! Great power gains for the money though. I can still hope that Vishnu will be able to tone down the volume and still keep the power.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I am torn between the Xede and the Utec. The Utec seems more functional with the advanced knock detection, but both are still in beta.

What will be Vishnu stage II? A different turbo?

·
Registered
114 Posts
ldivinag said:

www.sema.org

they do great work for protecting rights of vehicle owners. their annual convention/show in las vegas is a car lover's fantasy come true.
Yeah, I want to see where Vishnu and sema will be if you blow up the motor after installing their high priced crap.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
kg said:
ldivinag said:

www.sema.org

Yeah, I want to see where Vishnu and sema will be if you blow up the motor after installing their high priced crap.
Ummmmm...what exactly makes it "high priced crap"? Do you know ANYTHING about it aside from the expected power increase and price?

-st

·
Registered
114 Posts
Difference before and after break-in

Singletrack said:
kg said:
ldivinag said:

www.sema.org

Ummmmm...what exactly makes it "high priced crap"? Do you know ANYTHING about it aside from the expected power increase and price?

-st
You be the judge: a small speed shop, or a multi-billion $ company (Subaru).
A company that develops a few parts, tests & tunes them, and calls them good, or a company that spends thousands of man hours engineering a solid product.

I don't need to know a lot. I'll go with the thousands of man hours of development and testing, and with the piece of mind that goes along with it.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
kg said:
dude, you risk anytime you modify your car with anything...

play smart and enjoy...

with a good company though, if they find you blow up your motor because of their product, they should stand behind it.

are you planning on bypassing the 7500 RPM fuel-cutoff circuitry?

·
Registered
195 Posts
A company that develops a few parts, tests & tunes them, and calls them good, or a company that spends thousands of man hours engineering a solid product.

I don't need to know a lot. I'll go with the thousands of man hours of development and testing, and with the piece of mind that goes along with it.
Even on highly developed cars like the STi(hell, even on a porsche!) there is a margin for safe performance increases that is left by the factory. There is just no reason for a car maker to develope an engine to run at 100% of its potential and be on the ragged edge of performance at all times that they ar egoing to warranty. More than just engine durability, there are also emmisions concerns. Cars polute more as the get older as their engine tolerances loosen and their catalysts and emmision systems lose efficiency, auto makers have to account for this and design their engines to be able to maintain reasonable levels for the expected life of the vehicle. Then, to a lesser extent, there performance compromises made for noise/vibration/harshness levels, which I can usually live without :wink:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Invisiguard said:

Even on highly developed cars like the STi(hell, even on a porsche!) there is a margin for safe performance increases that is left by the factory. There is just no reason for a car maker to develope an engine to run at 100% of its potential and be on the ragged edge of performance at all times that they ar egoing to warranty. More than just engine durability, there are also emmisions concerns. Cars polute more as the get older as their engine tolerances loosen and their catalysts and emmision systems lose efficiency, auto makers have to account for this and design their engines to be able to maintain reasonable levels for the expected life of the vehicle. Then, to a lesser extent, there performance compromises made for noise/vibration/harshness levels, which I can usually live without :wink:
Perhaps there is a margin, but it's like overclocking your CPU. You are on your own outside the engineering specs. I'd rather be within the specs with the company behind the product.

It took me 34 years to really understand that a product is not just the bits the make it up, but also the company and service behind it

·
Registered
357 Posts
Re: WTB STI RAYS 18"

$2100 huh? Hmm. . .
Godspeed downpipe
Blitz SUS intake
Greddy exhaust
MBC

Total: $1300 = 30 whp gain at only 15 PSI
Add an E-Manage, turn up the boost, dyno tune and voila 300+ whp (over 50 whp gain). All for way less than Vishnu is charging.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
kg said:
Singletrack said:
kg said:
ldivinag said:

www.sema.org

-st

You just described almost every aftermarket tuner, so tuning the car isn't for you. That's fine. To be honest, I doubt I will do much to this car, perhaps an exhaust and an IC and whatever else I need to control boost after those mods. Please don't go making blanket statements like that when you don't have any information about the product you are criticizing.

-st

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hope you enjoyed the ride in my car :) I gave one guy a ride too. Now that I have had the car longer I can feel a HUGE difference. One thing I noticed about these cars is they are affected quite a bit by extra weight. When I drove home from Vishnu I had 3 buddies in the car. All of our butt dyno's said it was better, but w/ just me it feels lightning fast.
The handling is even better for it. You can really bring the back end around from just standing on the gas. Also while pricey the computer is now in place for future upgrades and tuning.

Modding your car isn't for everyone, if I blow it up, I blow it up. You have to pay to play and cars are not a cheap hobby.

-- Stott

1 - 20 of 20 Posts