IW STi Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '97 C4S and am considering selling it and picking up an STi. Any folks out there have time in both, and how would you compare and contrast teh performance/driving experience. I know the numbers, but seat of the pants thing is what I am interested in. I cannot find one locally to sit in, let alone test drive.

Any input appreciated.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I raced a 2001 C4 last week and it was pretty even. It was stop light to stop light, and if I launched better, I could have taken him off the line, but instead I bogged.... TWICE. The last 911 I drove was about 15 years ago and it was a older 911SC, so I can't draw any comparisons.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I suspect that they should actually be fairly close as far as acceleration and similar magazine test numbers go. I'm more interested, though, in the solidity and stability. Does the Subie feel as good at 110 as it does at 65? Which of the two cars would you rather have on the track (*ssume someone esle is paying the repair bills!!)? Which would you rather drive on a 400 mile roadtrip? Is the ride more or less taught in the Subie? Will passengers (including little ones in the back) be jarred more or less in one car or the other?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Yeah, here's some input: if your C4S has less than 60,000 miles, I'll go buy an STi and trade you. Keep your Porsche--the 993 is a fantasitc car with amazing feel and sound. Possibly the best 911 ever made. Steering so accurate it makes you cry. Put $5k in it and get 300HP easy. Lighter than an STi, too. Projecter HID instead of reflector. Crappy controls, but that's part of the charm. Le Mans-approved ignition key location. The list goes on.

-ch

·
Registered
99 Posts
The C4S is only slightly lighter (3197 pounds) than the STI :)

The stock 3.6L motor makes 282bhp, and unfortunately, it may cost you $5K to get to 300bhp.

The STI is very stable at speeds (120 mph) , but will probably not be as stable as the Porsche as those Germans know how to build cars for the autobahn. The STI is pretty noisy, so if you like to take long drives, the porsche may be a more relaxed vehicle to drive.

As much as I like the STI, I've always loved the way the 993s look. It is the nicest looking 911. If it was my decision, it'd be a pretty easy one to make:

Sell the C4S. Buy a 993 turbo.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahh, a 993tt. Considered one, but they get pretty hot when you're farting around town, I am not partial to the wing, and the NA car is plenty fast, as the STi would be. I can easily get myself in trouble without the turbo Prosche!

Just pndering teh issue. Do I need the Porsche? No. Do I love it, the way it looks, the way it sounds? Yes. I just feel guilty having such a nice car, basically. I feel like I should be near retirement before I own this car. Some absurd guilt complex. Also, I won't drive it in the snow/salt, 'cause I am a wuss about keeping it nice. No offense intednded, but I would LOVE to drive the subie in the snow.

Anyway, for those who mentioned miles, it is a '97. Ocean blue metallic, gray with sport seats, midnight blue carpet, motor sound, hi-fi, blah, blah, and under 14k miles with complete services/records. It is basically perfect. So it wouldn't be a trade....!

Appreciate the input. I am still considering - probably always will be weighing the advantages and disadvantages of each.... Happy motoring.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Subarus are a blast in the snow! Just need to find a good winter wheel option first.

Keep the C4S and buy a beater RS or RS Turbo if you can't afford an STi along with the Porsche.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sold my 911 to buy my STI. For me it was purely a question of practicality, and, only 1 sports car spot in my garage. 2kids + 4 doors vs. 2, useable backseat vs. well, you have one, you know. And the trunk, compared to my Porsche it's cavernous. I'm not a racer, or, even a particularly heavy footed driver.... just another clown desperately clinging to his youth As soon as I can con the wife into letting me build onto the garage, I'm buying it back though....sure...:D

·
Registered
6 Posts
I miss everything about my 911. For me, comparing the 911 and STI is sort-of unfair as they are perhaps comparitive perfomance wise, but, looks-wise it's not even close. IMHO, an STI looks "interesting", while a 911 is a work of art.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi, I have an 03 C4S and Just got my STI 2 weeks ago. For the money I love the STI . It's has the same thrill of a ride. You should keep both.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'll get one anyway and let ya know how it is.

That would be nice. But no garage space, and too much $$ to have both, without selling something else. And don't really want to duplicate the function (fun 4WD car). I was thinking one or the other.

Enjoy your C4S!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I have never owned a Porsche, but when I decided to get a sports car (Ok, I didnt exactly decide, my wife insisted I get one for fathers day) I took serious look at some of my favorite cars. 911, NSX, G35 Coupe, Vette, Audi TT 225 and Cobra. At the end of the day, I found myself coming back to the same things. As a primary driver, which is what my car would be, and with a family of 4, I needed 4 doors, AWD and High Performance.

That narrowed the field quite a bit. The EVO was there, as was the TT and the STi. The EVO I didnt like for a couple reasons (looks, 5 speed, 2.0L, etc), the TT was nice and I spent some time in the seat. Two things really bugged me about it. First was that visability was horrible IMHO. The second was that at no time did I feel like it was too powerful. I felt like I could drive it at redline all day, which is not what I want to drop 41k on. I also considered the new S4 that is coming out, but thats just it, it isnt out and will likely be nearer to 50k. That left me with what I consider to be THE BEST bang for the buck out there.

So, I bought mine sight un-seen and thankfully, the performance is all I had hoped for. (Doesn't mean there aren't some mods in the future though) ;)

It met all my criteria and I am very happy with the purchase.

Just my $.02.

·
Registered
251 Posts
By the way, the new Sport Compact Car has an Evo vs. C4S article. You may want to check it out.

It's not that great a story, but it's worth a look.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts