IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard rumors that pulling the e-brake would momentarily disengage power to the rear wheels, like the spec "C".

So, I am wondering if this is true. It will be a while before I can get an STI but I would like to dream about pulling the handbrake while turning on gravel roads. :D

·
Registered
347 Posts
it doesn't "momentarily disengage power", the center diff, whether locked or not, allows you to use the parking brake to lock the rear wheels but have no effect on the fronts. it's a technique that is sometimes used on autocross courses, as well. just don't try it with a 4 wheel drive truck...

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i had a friend who pulled one of those J-turns in his mom's oldsmobile while i was a passenger. he went flying across a parking lot and at about 35mph he yanked the e-brake and cranked the wheel. full 180 degree turn in the blink of an eye. of course thats not what you're talking about but the e-brake can do that too.

·
Registered
121 Posts
crashsti said:
i had a friend who pulled one of those J-turns in his mom's oldsmobile while i was a passenger. he went flying across a parking lot and at about 35mph he yanked the e-brake and cranked the wheel. full 180 degree turn in the blink of an eye. of course thats not what you're talking about but the e-brake can do that too.
getting a little OT here, but I'm just wondering. Anyone here get really good at pulling a J-turn, 180, or a 90 degree skid stop? If so, post some techniques an pointers. I wanna go out and have some fun in an empty parking lot or 2! :D Besides that, a J-turn can be a really useful maneuver if done well (evasion of would-be carjackers/robbers or whatever) ...

[/ben stein voice from ferris buellers day off]
Anyone? .... anyone?
[end/ben stein voice from ferris buellers day off]

Smitty

·
Registered
195 Posts
I pulled a killer drift around a building in my work parking lot last night. I friend in the other seat was freakin out! And this was in a '93 impreza wagon... :lol:

T

·
0 Posts
Yea I mastered the J-turn and here's why... I grew up in northern Ontario where you drive on ice and snow for at least 6 months a year. As a teen I would practice this technique constanly in empty parking lots on both pure ice or fresh snow, whichever was there at the time. With enough practice you get to know exactly how to handle the steering and how long to hold the brake to get the turn you desire. Also locking the breaks or hitting the gas to enable wheel spin also affects the speed and traction of the slide. The best way to learn this technique is practice practice and practive, it is very hard to describe it because every car reacts differenly and I have yet to do it on the STi due to no snow. The only cars I used this on so far are front wheel drive, so I would not know how a 4 wheel drive will react....yet!

One piece of advice though, keep your thumb on the button so the brake doesn't lock in, you'll need to release it very quick. You will also need to pull it all the way up for the wheels to lock up

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
it'll have to wait til spring for me to try that. can't see destroying a set of $700 winter tires before winter actually gets here. but i can't wait for snow!!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
boost problem

Turbs, where in Northern Ontario did you grow up?
I live in North Bay, so that's pretty far north.

I've never had an AWD car for the snow before either, but I'm gonna love some ebrake parking lot stunts this winter for sure :)

·
Registered
575 Posts
FS: Sti catback

pulling the old E-brake fast hard hold the button in, and pull it up hard forcing the wheels to lock up and not to like just slow down. feeling how your rear end is coming up if you get a bit too much you can kinda step on it again to untwist the car and get it going straight (if you are trying for a 90 degree, and get more than you ask for) a little counter steering can be useful too (if your car is moving still)

I used to park my 98 RS at work all the time doing a 90 degree E-brake turn, it wakes me up as I am walking to work hehe :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
all you guys that live in the snow are almost making me wish i didn't live in sunny california!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JDM Subaru Accessories Catalog online

I just got back from out of town, am reading these posts, and only wewu understood what I was asking. :-?

So by "full open" does that mean that power is cut to the rear wheels completely? See what I am getting at is, if I do this on my 02 wrx wagon I could mess/burn up the differential right?

But if DCCD allows a "full open" setting then you could do other stuff like maybe run in front wheel drive only on the highway and get better gas mileage?

You could maybe tune the car on a two wheel dyno where an AWD dyno is not available?

Just wondering.

·
Registered
347 Posts
you can do e-brake turns in your wrx, no problem. you have to have a awd dyno, though. also, the difference between 4wd and awd is that the awd car is ALWAYS driven by all four wheels, you can't just turn off the rear wheels (like you can disengage the fronts on a 4wd truck).

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
No, that's the difference between full-time 4wd and part-time 4wd.

I think all wheel drive is just another way of saying it, but yes, AWD are 4wd all the time.

T

·
0 Posts
UncleJ said:
Turbs, where in Northern Ontario did you grow up?
I live in North Bay, so that's pretty far north.quote]

I'm from Hearst, roughly 6 hrs north of you. ;)

·
Registered
963 Posts
SmittyTi said:
...Besides that, a J-turn can be a really useful maneuver if done well (evasion of would-be carjackers/robbers or whatever) ...

Smitty
I'm sure they have courses for such maneuvers, but they probably cost lots of $$$$$....

·
Registered
38 Posts
4WD means part-time, 50/50 split, on off-road capable vehicles. AWD is always on, the vehicle is engineered to be driven by 4 wheels 100% of the time. For instance the GMC Yukon is 4WD. You push a button to engage the front wheels. The GMC Denali is AWD. AWD simply refers to the vehicle being driven by all the wheels, all the time.

·
Registered
212 Posts
norcal-sti said:
you can do e-brake turns in your wrx, no problem. you have to have a awd dyno, though. also, the difference between 4wd and awd is that the awd car is ALWAYS driven by all four wheels, you can't just turn off the rear wheels (like you can disengage the fronts on a 4wd truck).
Ouch!!! :eek: ...if you try hard enough you "can" do an e-brake turn in a regular WRX, or any other Suby with a vicous coupling center diff, but it is very bad for the center diff, since the instance you lock the rear wheels the center diff will start to lock and attempt to slow the front wheels as well. However, the viscous center diff is not designed to cope with such speed differences between front and rear axles, so locking the rear wheels at driving speed will eventually fry your center diff.

That is the beauty of the DCCD! Since locking action is via an electromagnetic clutch it is possible at any time to cut the signal and release the clutches by pulling the e-brake, or stepping on the brakes. As soon as you release the brake...basically when e-brake and regular brake light circuit is off...the signal is restored to the center diff and the clutches will reengauge with whatever manual setting you had or whatever "auto" mode is applicable under the conditions.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
G-shock,

Thank you for answering my question. I never thought that it would take so long or get so many irrelevent posts.

So it does work like the WRC car then? Very cool.

thanks again,
chud

1 - 20 of 22 Posts