IW STi Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This is something that I've been wanting to fit to my WRX for ages, so when MB Developments near Birmingham (UK) had a JDM Bug Eye in for breaking a road trip was in order. I got the lot, all 3 rear windows, with factory tint, wiper arm and motor.

I got a local fitter to remove the stock rear window and fit the JDM one, note tape over the hole in case it rained. I did the side windows, which was trickier than I thought!

The motor and wiper fitted ok, there should be a 3rd mounting under the parcel shelf but to be honest the two front mountings and fittings round the window hole make it rigid enough. I might add an L bracket one day ...

Now for the UK cars at least, the saloon(sedan) and wagon versions share the same front loom, so swapping the column stalk that controls the wipers from the wagon one is a straight drop in and the connector is even there by the washer bottle for the second pump.

Here's the wiring diagram for a RHD non-JDM wagon

The looms do change when it gets to the rear though - from the B99/B97 connectors the wires needed do not carry through to the R1/R3 end on a saloon. The connectors are under the carpet by the side of the driver's seat on the RHD cars at least. So seat out, carpet back and unclip the connectors. The wires I was looking for were the Yellow/Blue one and the Green/Red one. I think the Yellow/Blue wire is White/Red on LHD cars. I did not need the Blue/Black feed from the washer pump as the intermittent module would not be fitted, as will be explained later.

I guess I could have pinned the connector to take up the feeds from these wires but I had some bullet connectors handly, so the wires got cut and connectors added to new wires to feed into the boot (trunk)

I've used different sized connectors and made sure the male/female ends were swapped so that you can't plug the wires up wrong.

These wires were fed up under the side trim into the boot and then connected to the motor. The JDM motor wiring is much simpler than the wagon version, the intermittent module etc just is not there, so this makes wiring up simpler - just 3 wires.

You can see that the colours match the loom colours perfectly. The third black wire is a chassis ground, I used a crimp eyelet to fit around one of the fixing bolts.

So that's it for the electrics. Just need to get the second pump and a long length of water tubing which will be fed down the passenger side to the washer jet.

It's a pretty simple job apart from having to remove the driver's seat, rear seat and all the trim down one side!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
One thing to note for non European RHD cars (Australia and South Africa??), the pin numbers are different on the column stalk, I guess there are other controls on the wiper stalk? Just make sure you get the right wagon stalk for your region and it should be okay as the wiring etc is the same, just the pin numbers change

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Here's the LHD wiring diagram for all you with the steering wheel on the wrong side ;)

You can see that the 12v feed from the fusebox is White/Red not the Yellow/Blue that the RHD cars have. Pin numbers for the Wash/Wipe switch are as EU RHD though. Having checked, the B97 and B99 connectors are on the same side of the car for all models, so access is by removing the passenger front seat for LHD cars.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, on to the water spray. For this I needed a wagon washer bottle with the second pump - remember all the wiring is in place as the Saloon(Sedan) and Wagon share the same from loom. I bought 6m of clear 4mm washer hose from eBay and started to see how to route it from the front to the rear.

First job fit the washer bottle

Then after much head scratching and a bit of help from the SIOC Facebook Group I found out that the route from the engine bay is under the front arch(fender) liner and through a grommet in the "A" pillar into the left footwell. So off with the wheel

Partly remove the liner and find the grommet

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

I routed the pipe through the hole in the inner wing(fender) where the wires go to the fusebox.

and drilled a hole in the grommet to pass the pipe through

Once happy I sealed the pipe to the grommet with silicone sealant.

So now we have the pipe in the car it gets routed along the top of the sill - there are locations for it at the front of the car too

No clips in the rear though but just routed it along the sill, up the rear trim to the top of the parcel shelf after removing the cover.

From there is was just a case of trimming to length (i ended up with about 2m spare) and connecting it up to the non return valve on the washer jet. This came with a short length of pipe and a right angle connector which made things easy.

Put the car back together and job done.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts