IW STi Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2021 WRX STI
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was pretty hell bent on ditching the wing... until I got these wheels on. I absolutely love this look. I ended up throwing the wing back on. haha

Specs:
Wheels: Konig Hypergram 18 x 9.5 +35
Suspension: bone stock
Tires: Falken Azenis RT660 255/35/18
No rubs at all lock to lock.

And holy hell is it great to have grip again. Car is completely different driving around.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
255 Posts
Thought those were RPF1's at first glance. The wing has totally grown on me, and your setup with that color combo looks great! Nice to know no rub either. Same when full of passengers? How light are the wheels btw?

·
Registered
2021 WRX STI
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thought those were RPF1's at first glance. The wing has totally grown on me, and your setup with that color combo looks great! Nice to know no rub either. Same when full of passengers? How light are the wheels btw?
Haven't had a car load of passengers yet so can't comment there. I have cornered at the limit a few times and no rubs FWIW.

Wheels are really light. But tires seem to have eaten up some of that weight savings. I clocked them at about 2.5lbs lighter per corner using my bathroom scale fwiw. The OEM weight of 28.7lbs per wheel vs the Hypergrams at 19.17lbs per wheel. I had Continential DWS06 in 245/40/19 at 24lbs and now have Falken Azenis RT660's in 255/35/18 at 27lbs per tire. There is probably a slight reduction in moment of inertia due to the overall diameter being 1.69" smaller in diameter (weight closer to the center of rotation) plus a gearing advantage now. I do think a lot of the talk on weight savings doesn't take into account tire choice. But I'll gladly take a couple pounds in exchange for a grippy tire. haha

No actual data on acceleration though.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
love the new setup. i've been debating on picking a set up for my GD STi. I really want RPF1s but these (or the konig dekagram) are really good looking and super affordable and strong.

·
Registered
2021 WRX STI
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
love the new setup. i've been debating on picking a set up for my GD STi. I really want RPF1s but these (or the konig dekagram) are really good looking and super affordable and strong.
Same exact boat. haha. I loved RPF1's on my s2k, but they have gone up in price a lot. Seem to remember 17x9's being like $250 a wheel from tirerack, so 18 x 9x being almost $400 didn't make sense to me. These are still pretty affordable.

In stock at IIR. Discount tire was backordered forever it seemed like.

·
Premium Member
See about
6,383 Posts
Like :)

Weight wise different tires aren't apples to apples . . .

The different between 26.7" and 25" is significant, not just a little bit.

·
Registered
2021 WRX STI
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FWIW tires were much more of a PITA. Initially ordered RT615's since they were shown as 1-5 day order....

Turns out they were "on the boat" waiting to be delivered, whenever that might be. So, had them track these down and they showed up two weeks later, two at a time. lol

·
Registered
2021 WRX STI
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
...Nice to know no rub either. Same when full of passengers?...
So had the car loaded down proper today and this post popped in my head, so wanted to reply before I forget. Suitcase, couple passengers, cooler w/drinks and food, groceries, misc other crap (trunk + one spare seat were full). Can happily report no rubs, and our roads are not the greatest so there were a few decent bumps along the way.

·
Registered
255 Posts
So had the car loaded down proper today and this post popped in my head, so wanted to reply before I forget. Suitcase, couple passengers, cooler w/drinks and food, groceries, misc other crap (trunk + one spare seat were full). Can happily report no rubs, and our roads are not the greatest so there were a few decent bumps along the way.
Thanks for the update! 9.5 +35 might be the safe limit for no rub w/o rolling fenders. Looking at wheels and wanted to go with an agressive fitment which looks best on these cars. This helps :)

Interesting about the tire weights you mentioned previously. Definitely not taken into account. Never crossed my mind until now. Every pound saved on wheels is that much more important then. Massive savings from the factory boat anchors.

·
Registered
2021 WRX STI
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, so I got annoyed with myself for not taking the time to document the weight differences and post them up... I hate not just having pics/data. XD So, I just weighed them a few minutes ago back to back.

Old:
Wheels: OEM 2021 STI 19"
Tires: Continental DWS06 plus 245/40/19
Weight: 53.2 lbs
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

New:
Wheels: Konig Hypergram 18 x 9.5 +35
Tires: Falken Azenis RT660 255/35/18
Weight 46.2 lbs
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Synthetic rubber

Enjoy 🍻, and hope it helps some of yall with making decisions on wheels/tires.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Wheels look great, what are you using them for? Notice any different feel with the offset difference? Had the 660s in any rain yet? It’s surprising how heavyweight 200tw tires are in general but nice you still dropped the weight quite a bit (and of course worth it with the traction).

·
Registered
2021 WRX STI
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wheels look great, what are you using them for? Notice any different feel with the offset difference? Had the 660s in any rain yet? It’s surprising how heavyweight 200tw tires are in general but nice you still dropped the weight quite a bit (and of course worth it with the traction).
Street wheels for now, but would like to do some track days as it cools down outside. I'm constantly fighting myself to stop buying stuff for the STI and focus on getting an NC miata so I can track something that will take the abuse. lol

I drove them in light rain the other day, but nothing to really get a feel for grip. Just a few brisk corners.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Cool thanks, those are my optimistic daily/autocross tire for next summer so I’ll check back later how you like them long term if you’re still around.

focus on getting an NC miata
This was my thinking earlier this year too, but ran into ridiculous Miata prices, where the hell would I put a Miata, and my wife’s enthusiasm over “the only car that would embarrass me more than your sti”

·
Registered
2021 WRX STI
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
They are a bit ridiculous in price. Hoping to come across a deal at some point though. I'd love to track the STI but years of experience have taught me to just get something that you can beat the crap out of for a track toy. haha STI is a really fun daily, but I just don't trust it for 15-20min sessions of 9-10/10th's without something breaking/overheating/etc issue that keeps me from driving.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Cool thanks, those are my optimistic daily/autocross tire for next summer so I’ll check back later how you like them long term if you’re still around.

This was my thinking earlier this year too, but ran into ridiculous Miata prices, where the hell would I put a Miata, and my wife’s enthusiasm over “the only car that would embarrass me more than your sti”
sounds like your wife and my gf could have a hangout and commiserate over their spouses' embarrassing cars! I guess I should have chosen lip instead of wing ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts