IW STi Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I propose that we create I new form so that people can properly review the people who tune their cars. I have been reading alot of threads lately about whos good and whos bad. Most of this is just conjecture. It seems like the few people on this forum who understand the intense complexity of tuning the sti keep most of the knowlege to themselves:confused: . I have been using Enginuity myself ;) for the past couple of weeks and find the process very fun and exciting. I have read (partially at least three books on tuning) and it has helped me to at least be able to ackowlege my ignorance:D . I have taken my car almost as far as I feel I safely can with no real experiance and no wideband 02. I would like for there to be some more knowlegeable feedback so when I decide to choose someone to tune my car and take it to the next level I understand exactly what will be accomplished and what will not be. It seems like alot of people assume that in 2-3 hours there cars will be running great. There is just no way this is possible. What I am most intrested in is the base maps that most tuners start from. What is changed.
After reading Cobbs posts and looking at there accesecu pdf and there excell spreadsheet I see several things that I really like. Namely the rescaled Load range. I have yet to hit higher than 3.00. It makes no sense to me to have my ecu scale all the way up to 5.5. I would like to find a tuner whoose base map has been rescaled for higher resolution at realistic loads 0.10-3.3 perhaps. Also I would like to find out who is paying attention to revising OL/Cl loop timing as this is something completly over my head but I know is important.I propose everyone with the knowlege pitches together and comes up with the important questions that needs to be asked when someone wants to find someone to tune their car. I don't know alot :lol: but I know enough to ask for help:eek: and hopefully help others as well.

Derek Murray

·
Registered
876 Posts
sorry, but you looked at the top of the post list, right?

Theres a "Review STi Tuners" sub forum in this very one.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
From my testing, the load scaling between openecu tools and Cobb products do not match up 100% and do not use every table on the ecu but rather the effective ones that you are trying to improve. I personally do not mess with the safeguards built into the ecu such as high det. fuel and the KC-C table (to a point) to tune my self conservatively and safely. As for load scaling, this is complex. If you do not know how to interpolate and interprete exactly what is going on especially with some very sensative tables within the ecu, pay someone to do it (which you are mentioning). I personally set my loads to my highest seen and one more on top of that for safety. One thing you also mentioned is tuning without a wideband... you are playing with fire not having one and I would not mess with fuel until you have one. Its like tuning timing w/o being able to see KC, DA, etc. and not knowing what knock is. Cobbs guide to tuning is very well written, but without your own extensive testing and learning, reading will not do much for you. It is a risk but its the risk you are taking with tuning and the only way to improve your tuning skills.

With all that being said, I recommend that you have someone tune your car and go from there. Typically you will only get WOT set and the rest is up to you. From there do tons of datalogs and learn exactly what is going on and what is doing what. Datalogs are you best friend in tuning and hold more knowledge than anything you can read. Reading will help you understand but testing and tuning is where you will learn. I datalogged my commute to work every morning for months to study how and what my car was doing and what changes were doing what. Its complicated but there is a lot of info in the forums that can help you build your skills and everyone is very willing to help around here. The streettuner forum has a lot of useful info there so going through that is a great place to start. First getting the right tools to tune is essential though and until you get some gauges and monitors, I would not recommend going any further.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the response crystal_Imprezav. I appreciate the response. I understand the attitude:D but would like to respond by saying its not helping. I have only touched my boost, wastegate, and timing tables. I will not touch fuel until I purchase a wideband sensor. The thing is as Rainmaker states:eek: I see the tuner review section and see nothing the least bit helpfull in helping me choose who would tune my car. Honestly the people who post the most in this section of the forum that seem the most knowlegble should recognize what I am saying and try to get something together so that people can make intelligent desicions:tup: . I just want to get my car running the best I can that means the most tourque on the broadest curve with something that will not knock in bad fuel conditions in funky altitudes or hot or cold weather. It should be what everyone strives for and I just want to get the right information so I can learn from those who have gone before me.
So plz can we intelligently come up with a set of questions so we can find out what these tuners are actually doing to our cars and then we can each judge whose the best (be it some one who tunes for max power or someone who goes for overall driveablity) Then we can each choose for ourselves:)

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
With all that being said, I would personally recommend Jorge from P&L. He has put a lot of R&D into his map, and tunes many more parameters than most tuners who just go for WOT. If you are looking for overall drivability, I also recommend you pay a tuner to road tune the car rather than a dynotune.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts