IW STi Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few questions. HOw durable is this vehicle? Also, how much money would it take to get the WRX Impreza 5speed to surpass the STi? bumper to bumper?

Rob™

·
So Gangster It Hurts
3,521 Posts
Changing own wheels

Very

and quite a bit.

Brembo brakes alone are around $2000 I think. Then you have the $2600 BBS rims, the suspension would be several hundred more, plus upgrading the EJ20T turbo and the surrounding mechanics would easily be another $1000, probably much more . . . especially if you want the thing reliable.

When you put the two next to each other, just the cost of the brakes and wheels makes up most of the difference in cost. . . but you get so much more stock on the STi. The driver controlled differential, IC sprayer, nicer gauges, functional wing, etc, etc.

You'll lose two things right off the bat, though. . . . any chance at a factory sunroof, and a stock stereo as standard equipment. ;)

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
north east TN??

Sunroof... bah! :) I like it on my wife's Altima, but on the STi, it would just add unnecessary weight.

As for the stock stereo, I found components that are superior to what Subaru is selling for far less. I'm almost glad they don't include it as it made me decide to get better stuff rather than taking the easy way and settling for theirs.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
RadarOnPaws said:
As for the stock stereo, I found components that are superior to what Subaru is selling for far less. I'm almost glad they don't include it as it made me decide to get better stuff rather than taking the easy way and settling for theirs.
That's my feeling as well.....

As for making the WRX better than the STi.... not really applicable IMO.

WRX pistons are cast, not forged... so they'll be hard pressed to stand up to too much more power output. Not to mention a much weaker tranny. And that's just the beginning. It would cost considerably more to upgrade a WRX to STi preformance levels than just to buy an STi.... probably enough so that it would be worth selling a WRX (if you already have one...) to buy an STi, if that kind of performance is something you need. That way you'll still be under warranty, and have a much more dependable power output.

Sounds to me like you've got a WRX and one of your friends just drove home a new STi....? Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
durable? indeed it is. i have personal experience with putting my STi in a ditch. i went off the road on a sharp turn, crashed into 2 cement guard posts, down a small embankment and then over a small stonewall before coming a rest in a cow pasture. i almost drove out except that it was so muddy. there was no mechanical damage to the car at all. just some scrapes and banged up body panels. oh..and a smashed $770 HID headlight assembly. the STi is a technological marvel that will only get better over time. buy one or you'll be missing out.

·
Registered
411 Posts
STI vs. M3

The november issue of Import Tuner has two good articles that describes the modifications they had to do with the WRX and WRX Wagon to convert them to have similar specs with the STi. There no exact dollar amount but it will give you an idea on how much it would cost.

M

·
0 Posts
It took my friend 12 grand to get his WRX past my STi in performance.

That means his cost about 5 grand more than mine, and whille it is barely faster, I don't think it is nearly as much fun to drive or ride in.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I think the tranny along is worth buying the STI :) I'm in love with it :D (both the tranny and the whole car) :D

-dp

·
Registered
1 Posts
mistkerl said:
It took my friend 12 grand to get his WRX past my STi in performance.

That means his cost about 5 grand more than mine, and whille it is barely faster, I don't think it is nearly as much fun to drive or ride in.
Not to mention he has no warranty, less reliability and resale.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Don't forget the variable valve timing and front LSD.

The WRX is nice, but if you really want an STi, get an STi...don't try to make an STi out of a plain WRX.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts