IW STi Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Sorry if this is an over asked question, however I’m 100 percent new to all this Ans am looking for some help. That said, please take it easy on me, all helpful info is greatly appreciated.

So I’m in the process here really soon of getting a 2005 outback. The info I know is the following… 2005 outback, jdm ej20x not a wrx ej20 and a 5aet auto. Aftermarket exhaust, aftermarket headers, brand new wrx turbo, aftermarket intercooler, aftermarket intercooler.

I’m in need of getting this tuned to run right. Atleast that’s what I’m understanding. It’s a complicated situation. I’m stuck with the car being done about 90%. I was told that I’ll need a tactrix able or something along those lines. I’m trying to figure out what one I’ll need and what to do after that. Again, I’m very new to all this, sorry if I’m behind on the lingo. All help is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
796 Posts
The tactrix cable is to load a tune onto the ECU.
If the car is just swapped but not running, there is a good chance you need a tune for it, which would require a tuner.
You can either tell the tuner what you have and hope they can give you a good e-tune that you load onto the car with the cable, or if the tuner isn't far away, just tow the car there and let him deal with it in person.
If the car doesn't run and hasn't ever entirely been set up before, and you aren't super familiar with what you're looking at, I'd have the car towed to a tuner because if the previous owner did the swap but didn't plug everything in right or it's missing something, that's hard for the tuner to see that over the phone.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Im not too familiar with the jdm EJ20X engine to be honest. Im guessing if you are looking for a tracix cable then you will be going for an open sorce tune. If you are going to use an USDM wrx ecu, then id ditch the open source idea. If possible, get yourself an accessport and protune the car on the dyno. I think that will be a much better option in my opinion. Again this is all possible provided you can go that route on something like this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im not too familiar with the jdm EJ20X engine to be honest. Im guessing if you are looking for a tracix cable then you will be going for an open sorce tune. If you are going to use an USDM wrx ecu, then id ditch the open source idea. If possible, get yourself an accessport and protune the car on the dyno. I think that will be a much better option in my opinion. Again this is all possible provided you can go that route on something like this.
I’d like to go that rout. However I do t want to spend $1000+ for a new ecu and a Cobb. That’s just not in the cards for me. I dont see the car getting to that point in performance honestly. Thanks for the option though.

·
Administrator
8,244 Posts
Have it towed or drive it lightly (assuming you can) to a tuner near you and have it properly tuned and be done with it. You don't need a tactric cable unless you're going to be doing the tuning yourself.

·
Registered
2020 STI Limited Pure Red wing delete not by choice
167 Posts
Wow, that is how I used to tune my '99 Eclipse GSX....then run it over to Turbotrix and have junior put it on the Dynojet dyno and fix what I mess-up haha. Added a few lines of XML code and never got a CEL again...all "readiness parameters" were set to good.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
Wow, that is how I used to tune my '99 Eclipse GSX....then run it over to Turbotrix and have junior put it on the Dynojet dyno and fix what I mess-up haha. Added a few lines of XML code and never got a CEL again...all "readiness parameters" were set to good.
Yeah back in the day thats how alot of tuning was done 10-15 years ago. DSM Link, open source, mega squirt, ect ect at least from what I remember. Man the stories id here of DSM link from back in the day. Everyone had a 2g gs-t and gsx back then and just ran the ebay catalog and no tune or internet tunes. Good thing the 4G63 was stupid strong back then.

Tuning has come a long way since those days. Thats why Id recommend going with the more modern approach. Using todays technology and hand held electronics with live monitoring and also going with a professional dyno tune. In my opinion, if you arent going to do it right, why spend the money and go through all the trouble in the first place. Its not always about making power.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts