IW STi Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know is kind dumb question… just want to make sure and get to know ej better. I’ve done couple times downshift 6 to 4 and accelerate in 4th around 2800-3000 in highway 50 mph. Boost around 6-7 psi is count as engine lugging or just fine?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I know is kind dumb question… just want to make sure and get to know ej better. I’ve done couple times downshift 6 to 4 and accelerate in 4th around 2800-3000 in highway 50 mph. Boost around 6-7 psi is count as engine lugging or just fine?
I would try to keep in the 3500 rpm range if you are gonna step on it from there. But i don't consider that 3000rpm lugging the engine, if you were at 2000-2500 rpm then yeah...

·
Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
930 Posts
Thank you! Definitely not 2500, and also just apply 25% throttle. I haven’t WOT on my car yet.
If the car is new, wait about 1000 miles before opening it up.
This would be the 'break in' period per say.
Also, don't do all 1000 miles on the highway in 6th at 2800rpm.
Do a wide variety of driving so you hit different rpm.
Also, don't walk it to redline, try to keep below 4500rpm if possible.
Deff don't go till redline.
Some people say a 'break in' isn't necessary on modern cars, but also both my cars have flat engines and don't burn a drop of oil, so there's that.
Thank you for coming to my TED talk 🙏

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If the car is new, wait about 1000 miles before opening it up.
This would be the 'break in' period per say.
Also, don't do all 1000 miles on the highway in 6th at 2800rpm.
Do a wide variety of driving so you hit different rpm.
Also, don't walk it to redline, try to keep below 4500rpm if possible.
Deff don't go till redline.
Some people say a 'break in' isn't necessary on modern cars, but also both my cars have flat engines and don't burn a drop of oil, so there's that.
Thank you for coming to my TED talk 🙏
The break in was finished months ago. Now everything is opened up. Heard a lot of people say don’t accelerate hard under 3k just want to make sure that 4th around 2800-3000 rpm consider is low engine rpm or just normal and fine to accelerate with build few psi boost.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru WRX STI
298 Posts
Obviously do whatever you need to get out of harms way, if need be.

4th gear, 2.8k-3k rpm is a bit on the low side but not in lugging territory. Personally, I keep my rpms around 3k+ and shift around 4k. Just never wide open throttle with anything less than 3k rpms. That is why people downshift into 3.5k-4k rpm range and be in boost range/power band.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Obviously do whatever you need to get out of harms way, if need be.

4th gear, 2.8k-3k rpm is a bit on the low side but not in lugging territory. Personally, I keep my rpms around 3k+ and shift around 4k. Just never wide open throttle with anything less than 3k rpms. That is why people downshift into 3.5k-4k rpm range and be in boost range/power band.
Thank you so much, definitely gonna mark this down.

·
Registered
SWP 2012 GR Hatch
930 Posts
The break in was finished months ago. Now everything is opened up. Heard a lot of people say don’t accelerate hard under 3k just want to make sure that 4th around 2800-3000 rpm consider is low engine rpm or just normal and fine to accelerate with build few psi boost.
Yea don't floor it that low, but not a problem 'leaning into it'.
Typically if you're around 2800, just lean into the throttle progressively so by the time you're on the floor it's above 3500ish.
Ideally in 4th, you may shift down to 3rd if you really wana get going quick, but I don't think leaning into 4th at that rpm will do any damage, it will just make the car work a little harder until it starts singing.
Same can't be said for 5th and 6th where you almost certainly should shift down if you're that low in the rpm.

·
Administrator
8,373 Posts
What others have said is correct, but if you happen to lug it, it's really not going to hurt it if you do it a couple times. I know I did, and I had that car 8 years before selling it. Not a problem, engine wise, during that time.

While we say you shouldn't, it's more like you shouldn't because you won't be able to get the turbo to spool and boost with enough torque to really get going so you're doing yourself a disservice. Just get into that lower gear that'll get you higher into the RPM range to get the proper torque for your situation.

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
I prefer to avoid anything but partial load at low RPMs. If you floor it at 2K RPMs your cylinder pressures are wicked high (and you don't really go anywhere) vs doing the same thing at 4K RPMs where that load is spread over twice as many combustion events. It's MUCH kinder to the rod bearings, which we all know, are a major weak point with the EJs.

A lot of this can also be controlled via the tune. If you're making boost at 1,900 RPMs, you're bearings are going to hate you. Any experienced EJ tuner will (should) bring in boost in a controlled manner to reduce bearing load. Most good tuners will mimic the spool characteristics of the OEM turbo (with faster capable spooling setups) to improve longevity. Case in point 2019 STi on stock, GTX 3071 and GTX3576...

Rectangle Slope Font Line Plot

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.