IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Completed the new Subaru Accesstuner training today.

Although I have never attempted to tune anything, I have spent countless hours online feeding myself as much information as i can pertaining to tuning our engines, so needless to say, I wasnt going into this completely blind.

That being said, I am happy with the content that is given and I do feel its worth the $$$ to those with minimal tuning experience, although I can see where it would be frustrating to the experienced who have had the software in the past.

You will origionally sign up with Cobb, submitting your accessport serial number. *** The software will then ONLY work with your Accessport and your car. You will then be directed to the EFI University website where you register. The entire course is taken with a series of videos and quiz's. You do NOT have to complete the entire thing in one sitting.

The entire course is mainly presented by training from Cobb, but has an generalized 2part introductory to EFI from EFI University. Each part in both the EFI University and Cobb training is followed by a short Quiz that must be answered 100% accurate before continuing - and yes, if you do not score 100% you can restart the quiz.

The Cobb part of the training consists of something like 11 parts, each with a quiz - and covers tons of information, including speed density and flex fuel tuning. each part is anywhere from 6min to 24min.

Will this training make anyone a Pro Tuner overnight? hell no. But for those who have the patience, and the know-how, its a great place to start.

Took me 5 hours... yes FIVE, although, i wasnt rushing through it all. I took a ton of notes which i highly recommend. So all and all, after lunch and breaks, this would be similar to a full day training class in person, for only $149. Not a bad deal imo.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
I think I will do it. I think this is a no brainer for cobb to do this for anyone wanting to use the accesstuner race. Personally I was surprised when it was offered for free to anyone to mess with as one could serioulsy fck something up and kill their engine. This "introductory training" will at least give people an overview of what is involved in using the software rather than trying to feel their way through it blind without it. Good move cobb :tup:

Also the cost is cheap compared to other similar "EFI online courses" which are often $500

·
Premium Member
5,291 Posts
I agree with the OP . . . they provide a lot of STI specific info that's not that easy so easy to find and it's not a bad place to start if you really want to learn.

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
are accessport users "grandfathered in" at all if they were using accesstunerace, before the class was made a requirement?? I had downloaded and was learning all the tables before any of that happened? I dont have that computer anymore, but does the accessport save that registration info If I use it on a new computer?

·
Registered
4,953 Posts
But I am ALL FOR taking the class!!! Since I am already familiar with it it will be a great opportunity to really get into it. I'll probably do my own tuning when I install the larger turbo too!!!!

·
Super Moderator
8,398 Posts
are accessport users "grandfathered in" at all if they were using accesstunerace, before the class was made a requirement?? I had downloaded and was learning all the tables before any of that happened? I dont have that computer anymore, but does the accessport save that registration info If I use it on a new computer?
No.

But I am ALL FOR taking the class!!! Since I am already familiar with it it will be a great opportunity to really get into it. I'll probably do my own tuning when I install the larger turbo too!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,291 Posts
I've taken the tests for many people. :)
I understand they want you to tune their cars, but it's kind of sad they don't want to review or learn even though they paid for it.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
i think its pretty rad they created a premium priced tuner market ripe for disruption.

there is no reason that your phone isnt the new accessport.

just sayin.

·
Super Moderator
8,398 Posts
When they sent out a survey years ago, before the v3, I selected the option of wanting the next AP to be on my phone or any device (not locked to a device though). My phone costs the same and is far nicer and more capable, and I always have it on me.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I did it a few months ago. I would be pissed if I was an experienced tuner, pro or not. I'm new to tuning so it was valuable info at the end of the day. I'd learned a lot of it from here etc but it was helpful to have it packaged in a deliberate way. It's definitely 101 though and lots more info and questions are needed to safely get started.

I did it knowing I'd probably need a pro to get me started, but I wanted to be able to understand what's going on

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
You can if you backed up your Accesstuner install folder.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts