IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got my first dents out of the way this weekend during my road trip to Houston. I got 6 dimples on the hood. :( Thankfully that was it, I was expecting much worse because of the noise it made. My question is, does anyone know a inexpensive way to pop these out? I have heard of using dry ice and placing a piece on the spot after the car has sat in the sun for a short time to heat up. Any other suggestions?

I told my wthat this was a good excuse to buy a carbon fiber hood. She didn't agree. Oh well. :D

·
Registered
983 Posts
The STi is fast, BUT...

What about those dent removers, they only cost like 50 bucks or less. what it does is it uses strong magnet to yank it out, but of course it allows you to adjust how far to pull out so it won't overdo it. car shops use the same tool to fix dents. even tho u bring it to a shop it still won't cost much. the average price is about $15/dent. if they charge more than $20 for a dent, you know you are getting jibbed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
NDMac said:
What about those dent removers, they only cost like 50 bucks or less. what it does is it uses strong magnet to yank it out, but of course it allows you to adjust how far to pull out so it won't overdo it. car shops use the same tool to fix dents. even tho u bring it to a shop it still won't cost much. the average price is about $15/dent. if they charge more than $20 for a dent, you know you are getting jibbed.
Magnets don't work on aluminum.

·
Registered
983 Posts
that's right i forgot the hood is made of aluminum...so you have to hammer it?

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Take a hammer to my baby!!!! :eek: I am going by the dealership today to get my oil changed, I will talk to the body shop guys. I know they are going to be more expensive, but I just want there opinion.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Great Day @ Summit Point

Well, if there is a carbon fiber hood that looks identical to the stock hood, I'd go for that. It will take several pounds of weight from the front of the car, which is a good thing.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Silver / Silver for Sale MA / RI

Here are two easy methods to save weight:

1. Remove the spare tire, call roadside assistance if you unluckily pop a tire.

2. Get on a diet.

·
Registered
75 Posts
NDMac said:
Here are two easy methods to save weight:

1. Remove the spare tire, call roadside assistance if you unluckily pop a tire.

2. Get on a diet.
3. take the back seats out.

4. take the passenger seat out.

5. drive with out shoes.

·
Registered
347 Posts
That back seat weighs about as much as your shoes. I think you'd probably save a lot more weight by taking a trip to the restroom before driving. :p

·
Registered
75 Posts
crazytrain said:
That back seat weighs about as much as your shoes. I think you'd probably save a lot more weight by taking a trip to the restroom before driving. :p
true, true. 8)

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This post has flown off on a tangent. We went from hail damage to making my car lighter. It fun to watch how peoples brain's work. It is like telling a story in a circle, it is totally different by the time it gets to the end. :lol:

·
Registered
983 Posts
LOL!! this is so funny!!! Driving w/o clothes on may save you a few more pound. Anyway, we should focus on the subject. Do you have a garage or covered parking lot for your car? If disasters appear often in texas it may not be good for your car in a long run (you may need to fix dents every now and then)! My friend lives in Houston tells me that tornado is very common there, this stinks.

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a garage and I park in covered parking at work. I am licky in that way. The dimples are not that bad and you have to look pretty hard for most of them. I am probably going to look into paintless dent repair.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Does CF flex as much also?

kg said:
Well, if there is a carbon fiber hood that looks identical to the stock hood, I'd go for that. It will take several pounds of weight from the front of the car, which is a good thing.

·
Drive True
6,833 Posts
Install Speed holes. Make sure you actually remove material instead of pushing the material into the car. Lighter car...improved breathability...faster ride :wink:

CF is stiffer than aluminum, I believe. Not sure though...

·
Registered
146 Posts
amdmaxx said:
Does CF flex as much also?

kg said:

CF does not flex at all. It cracks. It should also be lighter than aluminum.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Extreme weight reduction ideas...

1) Get haircut, lose ZZ Top beard and mane
2) Wear speedo... red for faster, tighter turn in <wink>
3) Use plenty of lube... reduces drag, increases downforce

Sorry, wrong thread!

Opal
:lol:

·
Registered
396 Posts
prost893 said:
CF does not flex at all. It cracks. It should also be lighter than aluminum.
Bull. CF is not really what you would call light. It is however strong in terms of pulling on it. Due to its strength, in theory you can make it thinner than other materials and still be just as strong. Since you can make it thinner, it would then be lighter. There is a lot of flex to it, very much like fiberglass. A single sheet will flex when you pick it up. When it is formed into a honeycomb of sorts it is extremly rigid though. I believe the CF hood for the WRX that was sold a while back required hood pins because the standard hook in the middle allowed the sides to flutter too much.

Also, there are 2 types of CF. One breaks down in UV light such as sunlight and requires painting. The other type is immune to UV rays, but is more expensive. I belive they also need different types of resin too.

I have worked with the cheaper CF and even though it was painted, it would become much more flexable after a bit in the sun. The heat would allow it to flex more. The process of working with CF is almost identical to fiberglass except for more safety. You really don't want any CF particals to enter your bloodstream via a splinter or breathing them in.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts