IW STi Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings. I am in the market for a new STI and managed to find a brand new 2018 with only 10 miles on the odometer for a super low price and killer deal. I am almost ready to pull the trigger on it but am a little concerned because the car has been sitting indoors on the dealer's showroom floor for going on 18+ months now. Is there anything to be alarmed about or be aware of since it has been sitting for so long or should everything be okay and good to go? Battery, fluids, tires, fuel, etc...Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks y'all.

·
Registered
3,133 Posts
where is this dealership and why did it sit?

if its really just that noone bought it because you live in a market with no demand for this car or they were asking way too much, then that should put you in a good spot for a deal...

i wouldnt worry about anything being rotten or worn by sitting in a dealership showroom for a few months..

·
Registered
122 Posts
Warranty starts the minute you sign the papers. All I'd do is have them change the oil and go with it. But dealerships can't sell a car that's been there for that long as "new". It will probable be sold as a certified used car. I have worked in dealerships for 30 years and see it all the time.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I wouldnt worry much about it. It sat inside as a showroom model lol. Just look for any scratches inside and out. Im sure alot of people were in and out of that thing lol

·
Premium Member
5,439 Posts
New cars are sold as used??? Cool - I want one of them!!! at a used price . . .

Regardless of the logic - if I were buying a used car it would only be at a used price - and I'd look around and bring quotes for cars being sold as new an use that as leverage. They want that car out of there.

·
Registered
605 Posts
If the dealer still offers brand new car warranty = go for it.

Put it this way - I bought my brand new MY2011 from Subaru dealership in 2014.

·
Registered
384 Posts
rofl ya just roll it...had trucks sit for years at the dealer I worked at...started them just to make sure batteries were charged just in case someone wanted to buy them...I wouldn't worry about a thing as far as sitting...maybe gas but nothing else...

·
Registered
251 Posts
What kills oil is fuel and the byproducts of combustion blown by the rings.

While I suppose a vehicle with 10 miles could have a large buildup I doubt it.
My guess is the oil is more than fine.

Fuel these days is much better than the years of old when a long winter could leave
your mower carb full of goo....filling it up with a full tank of new fuel would probably
be good enough.

Getting a new battery would make sense.

I would be more worried about tires than anything else. Tires sitting in one spot do funny things. They are also a bad thing to have go bad (blow out) at any time.

Dave

·
Registered
73 Posts
What kills oil is fuel and the byproducts of combustion blown by the rings.

While I suppose a vehicle with 10 miles could have a large buildup I doubt it.
My guess is the oil is more than fine.

Fuel these days is much better than the years of old when a long winter could leave
your mower carb full of goo....filling it up with a full tank of new fuel would probably
be good enough.

Getting a new battery would make sense.

I would be more worried about tires than anything else. Tires sitting in one spot do funny things. They are also a bad thing to have go bad (blow out) at any time.

Dave
Correct however this car was probably moved numerous times for a very short time just to get it out and to get detailed and sit again. Which means there probably more fuel than it should have in it, there no real way to tell the best shot would be to just replace the oil

Getting a new battery would be a very good idea

While i dont think it'll cause a misfire, i wouldnt drive the car hard on that old fuel

·
Registered
39 Posts
Greetings. I am in the market for a new STI and managed to find a brand new 2018 with only 10 miles on the odometer for a super low price and killer deal. I am almost ready to pull the trigger on it but am a little concerned because the car has been sitting indoors on the dealer's showroom floor for going on 18+ months now. Is there anything to be alarmed about or be aware of since it has been sitting for so long or should everything be okay and good to go? Battery, fluids, tires, fuel, etc...Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks y'all.

It has the value of a 2018, in other words it's had two years of depreciation. The original list price has >nothing< to do with what it is worth now. Look up what a cherry 2018 goes for, maybe add a little like $.10 / mile for the mileage theirs does NOT have on it. Bargain from there.

Gasohol goes bad. If the car has just a little gas, then I'd put in a full tank of new, plus some 'heet' or other brand of additive to get rid of moisture, etc. If it has a full tank of 10% ethanol gas, I'd ask how much to drain it at the dealership.

The tires may be flatspotted if it hasn't moved. Tell them that if the thumping doesn't stop within a couple of miles, that it needs new tires, and include that in the bargaining (ask for their wholesale price, which will be less than Tire Rack would charge for the same tire). And do all this bargaining before you sign anything.

·
Premium Member
5,439 Posts
^^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
2 Posts
Warranty starts the minute you sign the papers. All I'd do is have them change the oil and go with it. But dealerships can't sell a car that's been there for that long as "new". It will probable be sold as a certified used car. I have worked in dealerships for 30 years and see it all the time.
It will not be sold as used unless it was a demo or was titled. 10 miles is about what most have on them when delivered to the dealership. My '11 WRX had 11 miles on it when bought new. I took delivery of it right off the trailer after it was prepped. I can't say for my '18 STi. It was a regional rep's demo with 3200 miles on it.

Tommy
PHP:

·
Premium Member
5,439 Posts
I agree - I once bought a demo S-10 Blazer with 15K on it "as "new", not used. The price was good though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts