IW STi Forum banner

new springs = unplanted feeling

Suspension/Stiffening 
1K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  flatthump 
#1 ·
over the last couple weeks i have installed sways (26 F & R) and espelir gt springs. The springs went in last and now the car feels less planted in hard near the edge cornering. It feels like it is bouncing through the corner even on smooth pavement, it sticks then loses grip with every bounce. I had an alignement done and maxed out neg. camber in the front (-0.9) with 1/16th toe out, the rear has 0 toe and stockish camber. Im on stock wheels/tires and have no other suspension mods. Overall the car feels MUCH better than stock, but i feel that it would be even better if i could solve the bouncing issue. Anyone else encounter/fix this? thanks

#2 ·
I looked at your sig, and I am not familure with your springs. Do you know the current spring rate? If not, It is possible the rates are TOO soft, thus causing your springs to compress in the turn. As your springs compress in the turn they are probably maxing out. Hitting the bump stop. This can cause understeer and some bouncing in the turn. I had tein S-Techs on, but I just have them for car shows, I am now running back on stock waiting for my KW-Var 3. I do full time Auto X. Did you get an alignment after you put the springs on?

VAN

#5 ·
My spring rates are 280 F and 230 R, that is stiifer than the pinks and much stiffer than stock (although a bit lower). I already cut the entire first knob off the bumpstops off (front only). An alignment was also performed after the springs were broken in. Any other ideas other than the bump stops? Maybe i need to take more material off the bump stops?

#6 ·
purreplayya69 - i believe alot of people were hitting the bumpstops on pinks. If the car isn't driven very aggressivly you might be ok.

#7 ·
thanks alot for all the reponses. One more question - if i take the struts off to cut the bumpstops and i mark the aligment setting will i still need another alignment?

#8 ·
Nelly,
Out of curiosity, are you running without a front bumper beam right now?
I ran without one for a few days and my car exhibited a 'hesititating' attitude when cornering, similar to what you may be experiencing if in fact you are not hitting the bumpstops.

#9 ·
Stee said:
Nelly,
Out of curiosity, are you running without a front bumper beam right now?
I ran without one for a few days and my car exhibited a 'hesititating' attitude when cornering, similar to what you may be experiencing if in fact you are not hitting the bumpstops.
are you kidding? what does that bumper beam weigh 20lbs???? dont think that'd make a difference in cornering

back on topic, i'll bet it's hitting the bumpstops and that's why it's loosing traction over bumps mid corner

#10 ·
Hey ^know-it-all^,

-It DOES make a difference, structurally and handling-wise.
-I've raced with/without it, I've driven on backroads with/without it.
-I have a perfectly calibrated gluteus maximus as well.
-I believe this is ON topic because the original poster asked an open-ended question regarding the handling of his car. That invites any forum participant, myself included, to help resolve his situation by any means necessary- and that includes asking a SIMPLE question.
-Combine bumper beam delete/replacement with any other lightweight modifications to the front end of the vehicle with stock suspension and you end up with an EXTREMELY over-damped front suspension.
Oh, and the bumper beam itself weighs 25lbs 1.5oz by the way.

#13 ·
STEE - i am runing without a bumper beam, but i have a custom bar in its place to maintain torsional rigidity.

Looks like its time to cut the bump stops a bit more. Unfortunately it won't be done in time as i leave for Brainerd tommorrow for my first road course track day :)

#14 ·
I find it hard to believe that 25lbs can make a noticable change in the damping characteristics of the front end. Maybe if one sheds like 100 will it be noticeable. I have the JDM beam, braile battery, and no washer fluid tank. I dont have the handling problems hes describing, not even close actually.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.