IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I want to get slotted, or cross-drilled and slotted front brake rotors for my sti, but I want only brembos since that is the system. Can someone tell me exactly what kind of rotors I could get? I just want better stopping power, less wear, and less brake dust. I would appreciate any help. :D

thanks

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
slotted and/or cross drillled rotors will give better performance in heavy driving, but they will not improve wear... if anything they make wear worse.

·
Registered
347 Posts
slotted. lower risk of cracking...

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Contact Chaste Automotive via email: [email protected]. They design race cars.

Tell him Kevin with the STI told you to get in touch with him to ask him about the upcoming STI brake application that Chaste is designing for the STI. He may not remember me, but tell him that we spoke on the phone about brake cooling and the JDM v.8 Intercooler for the STI.

The new brakes which are soon to be finished are bigger than the current Brembos by a few mm and are significantly lighter, which translates into less unsprung weight, which = faster STI.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Here is a place that sells the Brembo cross-drilled ones.

Here are the front:
http://www.brakeworld.com/catalog.asp?page_id=item&invid=FD00102&invidtype=

And here are the rear:
http://www.brakeworld.com/catalog.asp?page_id=item&invid=RD00060&invidtype=

They are pretty expensive, but look sweet.
Everybody says slotted are stronger, but the fact that these are Brembo products let's be believe they would be of very good quality and quite strong.

tirerack.com also has some cheaper slotted/dimpled (fake cross-drilled) rotors available.
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?autoMake=Subaru&autoModel=Impreza+WRX+STI&autoYear=2004&autoModClar=&make=EBC&model=Sport+Grooved+Rotors

·
Premium Member
922 Posts
Air Glide Cheat for Nokia phones

It is not a problem with them being stronger because they are made by Brembo, even the Porsche rotors will develop cracks in them. Slotted rotors have less tendency to form strees cracks over time. But, I do agree, the cross-drilled rotors look awesome.

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
cross drilled and slotted! :D

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Disclaimer: I know nothing about brakes

But I did work at Powerstop and I know that cross drilled rotors are more susceptible to cracking.

I have personally seen Powerstop and Brembo cross drilled rotors crack while I have never seen slotted rotors crack. Nonetheless, those cross drilled rotors look very sexy on a car.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Brake pads when being used very hard out gas the resins that bind the friction material together as it burns off. That's the brake / clutch smell. The holes, or slots allow this gas to vent and help keep the pads from floating on the rotor just like an air hockey puck. The holes are bigger stress risers than the slots as the rotor thermally cycles. That's why slots are less prone to cracking. Both are just as effective at venting. Holes are a touch lighter.

Bottom line: On the street they both look cool. Perhaps a small decrease in braking due to the reduction in swept area. Auto-X and hillclimb are a definite may be. 1 to 3 minute runs. The Brembos have enough thermal mass to handle this. They will bump you out of stock and better pads are a better choice for us running in AS. Where holes and slots shine are at the track. Lap, after lap of hard use. Stock isn't bad. I've tracked mine...

It all depends on if you are going for show, or where you are going for GO!

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
I want to change my tires as well

Nivek-CA said:
Contact Chaste Automotive via email: [email protected]. They design race cars.

Tell him Kevin with the STI told you to get in touch with him to ask him about the upcoming STI brake application that Chaste is designing for the STI. He may not remember me, but tell him that we spoke on the phone about brake cooling and the JDM v.8 Intercooler for the STI.

The new brakes which are soon to be finished are bigger than the current Brembos by a few mm and are significantly lighter, which translates into less unsprung weight, which = faster STI.
Did I forget to mention better braking too!

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey guys, thanks for all the help. That's kinda scary to think of rotors cracking. I do love the look though. Very nice. I will let everyone know what's up if I decide to get some. I have to sell my [email protected] Lightning first so I can have some money. :lol:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Re: Boost Question....

So what does everybody think of the rotors that tirerack offers with slots and dimples? I'll assume they must be stronger then cross-drilled ones.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Re: Put perrin intake on today

Hey, I just followed one of the banners on the site and found DBA rotors for the STI. They have Slotted and Slotted/X-drilled for much cheaper than the Brembos some one posted.
This is in no way any ad for them. I have no first hand knowledge of the rotors, just wanted to point them out for other benefit. :lol:

http://www.flat4engineering.com/products/cat25.htm

Mike

·
retired mod
4,012 Posts
www.dba.com.au for more info on the company... DBA is an Australian company with a Very Good rep down under. I have several friends running DBA rotors on various performance vehicles. These are the rotors i will be using if I change out stock rotors...

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Man, they weren't kidding about the stock tires in the snow!

I remember someone posting a while back about cross-drilling their own rotors..... I don't remember who, but I'd be interested in hearing how that's stood up over time.....

·
Registered
422 Posts
On the street the cross drilled rotors shouldn't crack. You have to get them VERY hot many times. That's the heat cycle thing. If you are getting your rotors red hot on the street stay the hell away from me! Your NUTS! If you track your car a rotor with holes will develop heat check cracks first. These are very shallow and radiate out from the holes. Very easy to inspect with the more open spoke wheels on the car. How long can you let it go? I don't know, I've only run slotted rotors on my old BMW.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts