IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just found these on Subydude.com. I am dying to know if the 5x100's clear brembos.

They look sooo nice and they weigh less than 17 lbs. Unfortunately, they only come 17x7.5". Offset is -53mm for the 5x100's and -45mmfor the 5x114.3's.

Flat Black - 5x100
Flat Black / Red - 5x114.3
Bronze - 5x114.3

Brembo Clearence is unknown for all of these. Somebody tell me if they fit please?

They also come with black/red lip like the Volk Time Attack Special Editions.

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
520hpSTi said:
wheres teh clap when you need him :lol:
right here.

i'm refraining from any sort of comment. It's hard but I think I can hold back for a good ooooo 10 minutes :lol:

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
they are designed for an RSX but happen to have a 5x100 as well, so they work with WRXs

that's all I got in my little waste of time.

EDIT: oh yea! KNOCK OFF CRAP! (sorry I had to). Nice color scheme :rolleyes: (oh an Volk isnt' the first to do it either). (oh and volk didn't even want to make those nasty wheels public btw)

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
T3h_Clap said:
EDIT: oh yea! KNOCK OFF CRAP! (sorry I had to).
They may be knock off's of some more expensive wheel, but that doesn't make them crap. Rota's have pretty exceptional quality for a cast wheel. I have see much worse from more repuitable companys. So whatever.

I'm looking for a nice winter wheel. These flat black SDX's would be perfect if they fit.

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
S1MPSONS said:
I thought RSX's were 5x114.3.
uh, they are.

i said they also make a 5x100. (for the wrx)

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
S1MPSONS said:
They may be knock off's of some more expensive wheel, but that doesn't make them crap. Rota's have pretty exceptional quality for a cast wheel. I have see much worse from more repuitable companys. So whatever.

I'm looking for a nice winter wheel. These flat black SDX's would be perfect if they fit.
if they cleared suby dude would say so.

and I don't know who you're trying to argue with about knock off crap but I've personally had a set of rotas bend with out reason (they were on the car (my MY03 WRX (i didn't know better...:lol: )) for 2 days).

and I feel like a broken record, i'm going to start keeping a quote datatbase so i can just copy and paste my replies. :lol:

i'd rather bend a wheel then have one completely fall apart, and hope the reputable wheels you mention aren't iforge or HRE. b/c those are crap too, just expensive crap :lol:

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
T3h_Clap said:
if they cleared suby dude would say so.
Subydude Fitment Guide on there website is still under construction...
http://www.subydude.com/osc/wheelguide.php

T3h_Clap said:
and I don't know who you're trying to argue with about knock off crap but I've personally had a set of rotas bend with out reason (they were on the car (my MY03 WRX (i didn't know better...:lol: )) for 2 days)
I drove like a mad man around NYC's worst roads on Tarmac II's for 6 months. Never had any problems. Seen plenty of people track Rota Slipstreams without incident either.

T3h_Clap said:
hope the reputable wheels you mention aren't iforge or HRE. b/c those are crap too, just expensive crap :lol:
How about Gram Lights? They are pretty overpriced cast wheels that offer little more then a less expensive cast alternative like Rotas.

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
S1MPSONS said:
Subydude Fitment Guide on there website is still under construction...
http://www.subydude.com/osc/wheelguide.php
yes, and? I don't under stand your point. If they cleared Brembos I'd say so.

S1MPSONS said:
I drove like a mad man around NYC's worst roads on Tarmac II's for 6 months. Never had any problems. Seen plenty of people track Rota Slipstreams without incident either.
I'm not saying all Rotas are going to explode like the boosts that did, and I too know of...6 people who regularly autox slipstreams without issue. the tarmac's are pretty sturdy simply by the design they stole. My "beef" is they steal the R&D from other companies and then build an inferior product compared to the original, it ends up devaluing an otherwise superior wheel.

but this is the age of chinese knock offs, should get used to it, but it doesn't mean I'm going to bend over and accept it without *****ing.

S1MPSONS said:
How about Gram Lights? They are pretty overpriced cast wheels that offer little more then a less expensive cast alternative like Rotas.
the GramLights are constructed using a superior process/materials to the rotas, and they are only overpriced if you don't know where to get them. :)

At least I'd like to think so, and even if they are Identical, it's nice to know that Rays isn't straight stealing from other companies when it comes to design. There are people willing to pay a premium for innovation and quality.

There are positives to knowing people in this industry. :D

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
T3h_Clap said:
yes, and? I don't under stand your point. If they cleared Brembos I'd say so.
^^^ Not what you said originally

T3h_Clap said:
the GramLights are constructed using a superior process/materials to the rotas, and they are only overpriced if you don't know where to get them. :)

At least I'd like to think so, and even if they are Identical, it's nice to know that Rays isn't straight stealing from other companies when it comes to design.
As long as a get a comparable product for a better price I'm happy. I could care less who invented the design. My game isn't about the most innovated and unique good on the market. I need performance and i don't want to pay for it ;) . Thats why I got a STi instead of an M3.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
T3h_Clap said:
I'm not saying all Rotas are going to explode like the boosts that did, and I too know of
I am under the impression that those wheels broke because the driver put the car in a ditch. Not because the wheels just "exploded" for no particular reason.

While I would like to own a really nice set of wheels, but to me wheels have a "auto jewelry" effect. Expensive wheels are like wearing a Tag Heuer instead of a Seiko. Both will tell you the time all the same, but one is more stylish than the other. But only more stylish in the eyes of somebody who knows what they're looking at.

I guess I would rather roll on cheap wheels and spend the $1500 I saved on something else. Like a second set of cheap wheels with race tires.

For street wheels I have a very difficult time justifying more than $300 per wheel given the hazards the wheel potentially faces on the street. I could see myself spending $600 a wheel on something extremely lightweight, and of exceptional quality for my race wheels. Maybe a TE37 if it were available in a friendly offset

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
S1MPSONS said:
^^^ Not what you said originally
of course I didn't say the same thing twice.

I'll clarify, the 5x114.3 +45mm is designed for an RSX not an STi
the 5x100 +50mm (IIRC) is designed for a WRX

S1MPSONS said:
As long as a get a comparable product for a better price I'm happy. I could care less who invented the design. My game isn't about the most innovated and unique good on the market. I need performance and i don't want to pay for it ;) . Thats why I got a STi instead of an M3.
would you buy a Subaru knock off from china called the Sabaro SFi? for $15k?

I hope not.

and no subaru isn't a knock off of a prochse engine, they purchased the plans (and rights to produce) from them long ago.

IBcarsaredifferentthewheels.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
T3h_Clap said:
would you buy a Subaru knock off from china called the Sabaro SFi? for $15k?

I hope not.

and no subaru isn't a knock off of a prochse engine, they purchased the plans (and rights to produce) from them long ago.

IBcarsaredifferentthewheels.
The performance differences between two different cars is a lot more noticeable than the performance difference between two different wheels. Most drivers won't even notice the difference between a set of wheels that is collectively 8 lbs. lighter than another set.

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
Mykl said:
I am under the impression that those wheels broke because the driver put the car in a ditch. Not because the wheels just "exploded" for no particular reason.
by going into a ditch even at 50mph a wheel shouldn't fall apart. bend b/c they hit something? sure. having the rim completely seperate from the wheel? that is wrong.

this isn't the first rota to do that either.

Mykl said:
While I would like to own a really nice set of wheels, but to me wheels have a "auto jewelry" effect. Expensive wheels are like wearing a Tag Heuer instead of a Seiko. Both will tell you the time all the same, but one is more stylish than the other. But only more stylish in the eyes of somebody who knows what they're looking at.
but you wouldn't buy a seiko if when you dropped it or hit it on a table it shattered.

Mykl said:
I guess I would rather roll on cheap wheels and spend the $1500 I saved on something else. Like a second set of cheap wheels with race tires.
as i've said numerous times I'm not here to convert people to buy (waste) money on high quality products, I just give people more info so they can make informed decisions.

Mykl said:
For street wheels I have a very difficult time justifying more than $300 per wheel given the hazards the wheel potentially faces on the street. I could see myself spending $600 a wheel on something extremely lightweight, and of exceptional quality for my race wheels. Maybe a TE37 if it were available in a friendly offset
I agree, except my price limit is slightly higher. I wouldn't want to run a set of $3k CCWs on the street.

my street wheels and race wheels have different purposes and fall under different catagories.

a very nice set of wheels can be had for an inexpensive amount if you know where to look an who to call.

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
Mykl said:
The performance differences between two different cars is a lot more noticeable than the performance difference between two different wheels. Most drivers won't even notice the difference between a set of wheels that is collectively 8 lbs. lighter than another set.
I was just taking the extreme of his comment about not appreciating R&D.

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
T3h_Clap said:
by going into a ditch even at 50mph a wheel shouldn't fall apart. bend b/c they hit something? sure. having the rim completely seperate from the wheel? that is wrong.

this isn't the first rota to do that either.
Maybe, maybe not. In a wreck that seems to be as severe as the one that caused the wheel in question to shatter, I don't think it is an indication that the wheel is of a quality level that is not acceptable. Also, the only other Rotas I've ever heard of to break were ones that were recalled.

T3h_Clap said:
but you wouldn't buy a seiko if when you dropped it or hit it on a table it shattered.
No, I wouldn't. But I'd say that the case you're comparing this to more closely resembles hitting the watch with a hammer than simply dropping it.

T3h_Clap said:
as i've said numerous times I'm not here to convert people to buy (waste) money on high quality products, I just give people more info so they can make informed decisions.
What you're saying may very well be true, but a lot of inquisitive people like me will want to know more. Like a description of the conditions that caused the product to fail. As well as all possible details surrounding other documented failures of said product. We of course want to know when something is crap, but some of us want to know what causes it to be crap.

T3h_Clap said:
I agree, except my price limit is slightly higher. I wouldn't want to run a set of $3k CCWs on the street.

my street wheels and race wheels have different purposes and fall under different catagories.

a very nice set of wheels can be had for an inexpensive amount if you know where to look an who to call.
Yeah, sometimes finding the right wheel can be a pain in the ass. Then finding the right wheel that fits... :p

·
I Solve Problems
18,253 Posts
Mykl said:
What you're saying may very well be true, but a lot of inquisitive people like me will want to know more. Like a description of the conditions that caused the product to fail. As well as all possible details surrounding other documented failures of said product. We of course want to know when something is crap, but some of us want to know what causes it to be crap.
agreed, this is probably why I have to repeat myself all the time.

and the other rota that did this was an Attack.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts