IW STi Forum banner

New Pickup Tube=False Knock?-SOLVED

12K views 37 replies 11 participants last post by  OMGHI! 
#1 · (Edited)
Back in March 2013, I got a Killer B oil pick up tube installed in my 2005 STI. Car was otherwise stock. I decided to do this because I had read the failures of the stock pick up tube. Ever since that install, I have had knock while cruising (up to -12*), and no knock in boost or WOT. Also, my oil pressure is normal according to my gauge.

Trying to diagnose this issue almost 2 years later, it was mentioned to me by a tuning shop I was talking to that it could be the pick up rattling against the pan causing an issue.

I don't want a discussion about why/how I think it's false knock. My A/F ratios, DAM, and FKL are all exactly where they're supposed to be, and motor mounts, trans mount, and heatshields were all already checked. Can anyone offer ANY thoughts on this? I have limited funds to fix/diagnose this problem and would like to have it done efficiently, obviously. Thanks for any info.

#37 ·
Re: New Pickup Tube=False Knock?-UPDATE

Didn't realize you got absolutely hosed on NABISCO for posting the exact same thread. Funny how you "edited" your IWSTI thread title though... :rofl:

Killer B Pickup Tube=False Knock? - NASIOC
Gotta try to keep the masses happy somehow ;) Plus there was nothing wrong with the pickup tube in the end, so I figured it's good to edit it anyway

#38 ·
Re: New Pickup Tube=False Knock?-UPDATE

Well, it's fixed. Turns out it was the knock sensor itself, even though I got no CEL. Changed it and no knock. Also fixed a misfire on cylinders 2 and 4 by putting in 2 used but functioning stock injectors. All is well with the car again. Let it be known that the knock sensor in STIs can just go bad, even though I heard from dozens and dozens of people that they've never heard of it happening.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.