IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Back in March 2013, I got a Killer B oil pick up tube installed in my 2005 STI. Car was otherwise stock. I decided to do this because I had read the failures of the stock pick up tube. Ever since that install, I have had knock while cruising (up to -12*), and no knock in boost or WOT. Also, my oil pressure is normal according to my gauge.

Trying to diagnose this issue almost 2 years later, it was mentioned to me by a tuning shop I was talking to that it could be the pick up rattling against the pan causing an issue.

I don't want a discussion about why/how I think it's false knock. My A/F ratios, DAM, and FKL are all exactly where they're supposed to be, and motor mounts, trans mount, and heatshields were all already checked. Can anyone offer ANY thoughts on this? I have limited funds to fix/diagnose this problem and would like to have it done efficiently, obviously. Thanks for any info.

·
Premium Member
1,006 Posts
Re: Killer B Pickup Tube=False Knock?

Call or message Killer B and see what they say. Your engine will vibrate more in lower RPMs, and if something is loose with the pick tube, it may bang against something and cause the knock noise you're describing.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Good idea to call Killer B.

I can't hear any knock over my exhaust personally, although my hearing does suck. I'm also not necessarily talking about audible knock, just feedback knock on the AP.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts

I would have called/emailed Killer B before posting here. I've bought many parts from them and they have great customer service. There is one other possibility too. The pick-up may be fine, but maybe it was not installed correctly.

·
Vendor
5,400 Posts

It's got to be something install related. Think about it. The pickup is filled and submersed in oil; there's not going to be any kind of 'knock' even if it was loose or touching the pan. The 2004-2005 OEM pickups occasionally come from the factory touching the bottom of the pan (with a depth range +/- 1/4"), but ours are significantly more consistent in height and do not ever contact the bottom of the pan.

There is likely a loose bolt somewhere or some other metal on metal contact. It could be as simple as a bolt that was dropped into the engine cradle, or a loose bracket.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

It's got to be something install related. Think about it. The pickup is filled and submersed in oil; there's not going to be any kind of 'knock' even if it was loose or touching the pan. The 2004-2005 OEM pickups occasionally come from the factory touching the bottom of the pan (with a depth range +/- 1/4"), but ours are significantly more consistent in height and do not ever contact the bottom of the pan.

There is likely a loose bolt somewhere or some other metal on metal contact. It could be as simple as a bolt that was dropped into the engine cradle, or a loose bracket.
Thank you for weighing in here. I want to say again that I am in no way trying to bash your company or the product. I am simply going through the information I have heard/gathered and am just tired of exhausting options on this problem.

I'm guessing that there was no issue with the tube otherwise because I have normal oil pressure readings at cold start (~96PSI on Rotella T6 and ~24 warm idle). Just to clarify, you're positive there's no way for the pick up itself to be touching the pan or anything inside the pan that could cause knock, even if submerged in oil and installed incorrectly? If I can avoid going in the pan, I would like to.

It's honestly just getting hard to find things to check/replace being that it all happened after the pick up tube install.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts

You haven't even verified your install and you are insinuating it is the fault of the killer b pickup itself. Unbelievable, you have no clue how the world works.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

You haven't even verified your install and you are insinuating it is the fault of the killer b pickup itself. Unbelievable, you have no clue how the world works.
Do you not know how to read? I was told a bad shipment was sent out and my time of purchase happens to fall within the timeframe of the bad shipment. Plus I didnt do the install myself as I didnt have a lift or ramps available to me. Hop off dude

·
Registered
1,268 Posts

Exactly you didn't do the install and you know NOTHING yet your mouthing off like you know something all the while giving negative exposure to a vendor. Get a clue already.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Which is why i asked for clarification instead of going and wasting my time and money just replacing the part. Jesus. Your mom should have swallowed.

·
Vendor
5,400 Posts

We have never EVER had a bad shipment of pickups. We've never ever had a single pickup fail. Our fixturing ONLY allows them to be made in a way that fits into the pan very accurately. This is with well over 5,000 units made and sold.

If I were in your shoes, I would go over EVERY nut and bolt, clip, bracket, hoses, etc., that was touched during the pan install, and then some. Was motor mount heat shield bent or tweaked? Was an exhaust heat shield loosened? A ground not replaced? So many thing that should be gone over.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

We have never EVER had a bad shipment of pickups. We've never ever had a single pickup fail. Our fixturing ONLY allows them to be made in a way that fits into the pan very accurately. This is with well over 5,000 units made and sold.

If I were in your shoes, I would go over EVERY nut and bolt, clip, bracket, hoses, etc., that was touched during the pan install, and then some. Was motor mount heat shield bent or tweaked? Was an exhaust heat shield loosened? A ground not replaced? So many thing that should be gone over.
I will gladly do so. None of this was meant to give killer b a bad rap. A dealership supposedly went over the car and said all mounts and heatshields were tight. At this point im leaning towards something with the pan or the pitch stop mount. And if none of that, then the sensor itself

·
Registered
1,268 Posts

Which is why i asked for clarification instead of going and wasting my time and money just replacing the part. Jesus. Your mom should have swallowed.
You did what was convinient for you and threw killer b under the yellow facking bus. Bravo *clap* *clap*.

Keep burning bridges, kid.

·
Vendor
5,400 Posts

Your initial disclaimer was good enough for me :) We're good.

If you search 'installed knock' you'll find knock issues are fairly common after installing mods. We're all human and everyone forgets to tighten a screw or something at least once in a while.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Thank you for recognizing the disclaimer and taking no offense.

Do you think its likely that anything related to the pick up tube (not the tube itself) inside the oil pan could have been not tightened during the install?

·
Vendor
5,400 Posts

Doubtful. I've see OEM baffles loose, OEM pan baffles cracked/busted and OEM pickups cracked, and there was zero knock because of it. It has to do with everything being submerged in oil, dampening everything.

·
Super Moderator
10,687 Posts

Speaking of knock, I had a WRX I worked on that had the passenger side exhaust heat shield rusted to the point that the bolt no longer secured it. You would swear when it rattled that it was knock.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Thanks for the help guys.

Has anyone heard of a knock sensor going bad on a 2005 STI? As far as i can tell thats the most expensive possibility right now.

·
Registered
883 Posts

Got2boostit2, brings up a good point. After owning 3 STI's, and 1 WRX, I can tell you for sure that the heat shielding on every exhaust/turbo component on a Subaru (after a few years) is suspect! It sounds like a bit of a long shot, but I bet a heatshield rattling and contacting just the right spot could show up as knock.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Im not willing to discount a heatshield, except the turbo heatshield because it was recently installed (Grimmspeed shield), and have a catless DP, but an certainly willing to check all other heatshields. Maybe the stock header shield, who knows.

Im all for easy checks. Thanks guys

1 - 20 of 38 Posts