IW STi Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I just installed slotted stoptech rotors for the front of my car, left the rears as is. Also installed the Hawk HPS all around. I only used the silver shim on the fronts, and not the black backing plate. I am getting terrible noise, squealing/squeaking, coming when moderately braking from a slow speed and coming to a stop.. I am going to get back to the brakes later today, get some antisqueal.

Do I need to use the black backing plate?(Or do I have it reversed, silver = backing plate, black = shim?)

Any suggestions for elimating squeal? I will be trying again in the afternoon..

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It sounds like its coming from the front rear.

I did the bed in procedure... but still made noise after that... I am guessing the rotors are just new and so are the pads therefore making that noise until everything wears off but ive never heard that from anyone else.

I put the shims on, but i didnt put on the black backing plate... I am going to go get at this again in about an hour... any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
9,518 Posts
If you did bed them in, there is nothing else to wear off...it should have created a good bond between the pad material and rotor surface. You shouldn't need the black backing plates, the silver shims should be enough. Try doing 5 or 6 stops from 60-20 with moderate pedal pressure and then 2 or 3 stops from 80-10 at threshhold pressure. This should do it. If not, apply some antisqueal and hope it works. I haven't needed it and my HPS's with PFC rotors are silent.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It seems like its coming from the rear, there are shims on the rear, the fronts seem silent... could this possibly be because the rear rotors are still the old ones.. they only make that bad noise when putting light to moderate pressure..

·
Registered
350 Posts
The dealership put a new set of COBB street formula pads on my original rotors, wound up not turning the rotors (long story). Did a bed in procedure from 80 to 30.

They squeal like a little girl!!!!!!

I am REALLY disappointed. It happens after the brakes have been used & are warmed up.

I need to call COBB & ask them, but I've got to think it's something with the install and not the pads (I hope). I'm watching this thread to see if someone comes up with a magic bullet because the noise is embarassing.

Did I mention that I'm disappointed?

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Indy, mine is just like that... once they are warmed up they start to squeal badly... i am hoping that it goes away once my hawks put down another transfer layer on the rear rotors and the squealing stops... if not im goig to have to get them turned..

let me know what you come up with

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, ive come to this conclusion...

ill get the rotors turned or ill throw the stock pads back into the rear... either or is fine really... ill try to get the rotors turned first though... should happen on friday probably...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts