IW STi Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Subaru WRX STI
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I'm new to this forum and sorta new to Subarus, especially an STI. Soon, I'll have my 2008 STI hatch on the road after a full engine rebuild. All stock, with the exception of a catted Invidia down pipe. I know the basics of Subaru and their common issues, however I'd like to get more info on STI's. If anyone has any tips, suggested mods and/or upgrades for the oiling system, cooling system, etc I'd appreciate the help! I just want to have a strong motor before installing mods.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Well you will need a tune for that catted downpipe. I would suggest getting yourself a Cobb Accessport and having the car protuned. There is alot of good info on here on what to do for first timers. Please spend some time and take a look around.

·
Premium Member
5,995 Posts
Reactions: Karlot

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have a few i'd suggest.

1- A quality AOS. I have an IAG AOS, and it works wonderfully. Athough Killer B also makes one and ANYTHING killer B is quality. those are the only two i'd go with
2- an accessport/protune. the accessport will allow you to constantly monitor vitals of the car and take data logs to send to the tuner should you need to, very nice and important piece to have
3- equal length headers. Yes, this may not be necessary, and besides all the performance benefits, these WILL take heat off the cyliders on the right side of the motor, where the heat likes to stay with the oem headers, increasing reliability.
4- Cylinder 4 cooling mod. - there was a thread on this recently, good read.
5- quality oil/maintenance. personally even with synthetic i say no more than 3k miles on a change (i change mine every 2k OR every track day, whichever comes first).
6- oil temp/pressure gauges.

as for an oil cooler, you can go this route, but i dont think it's necessary unless you are tracking the car.

·
Registered
2008 Subaru WRX STI
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a few i'd suggest.

1- A quality AOS. I have an IAG AOS, and it works wonderfully. Athough Killer B also makes one and ANYTHING killer B is quality. those are the only two i'd go with
2- an accessport/protune. the accessport will allow you to constantly monitor vitals of the car and take data logs to send to the tuner should you need to, very nice and important piece to have
3- equal length headers. Yes, this may not be necessary, and besides all the performance benefits, these WILL take heat off the cyliders on the right side of the motor, where the heat likes to stay with the oem headers, increasing reliability.
4- Cylinder 4 cooling mod. - there was a thread on this recently, good read.
5- quality oil/maintenance. personally even with synthetic i say no more than 3k miles on a change (i change mine every 2k OR every track day, whichever comes first).
6- oil temp/pressure gauges.

as for an oil cooler, you can go this route, but i dont think it's necessary unless you are tracking the car.
All great information thanks a lot. I'm planning on getting headers I was thinking about going the unequal length route, but if the equal length headers reduce heat then I'm all for it! Any brand suggestions? Also, I've heard so many great things about killer B recently and I plan on getting some goods from them as well.

·
Registered
2009 Subaru STI
5 Posts
All great information thanks a lot. I'm planning on getting headers I was thinking about going the unequal length route, but if the equal length headers reduce heat then I'm all for it! Any brand suggestions? Also, I've heard so many great things about killer B recently and I plan on getting some goods from them as well.
Killer B oil pan/pickup/baffle is a must have!

·
Registered
424 Posts
equal length will help with heat. with the exception of sound of the car (which is totally subjective), every. single. aspect.of equal length headers are better. smoother, more power/tq, better spool etc. all around a very good choice.

as far as brands, if you can afford it, killer b is the top dog. that being said, ets makes a nice set, so does tomei, i dont think either are as good as killer b, but tomei is alot cheaper lol. i got mine used for like 400 bucks. perrin makes a nice one too.

and like a7sparky said, the killer b oil pickup/baffle is a must.

·
Registered
424 Posts

these two threads are good for looking into headers. keep in mind for the first one, the sti from 04 till now has used the EJ engine, so even if yours is older it still has the same motor and the results still apply

1 - 12 of 12 Posts