IW STi Forum banner

Would you consider buying a turbo from Grimmspeed over all the other offerings ?

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Subaru STI
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
I have no experience with the tomei turbos on Subaru. I have one friend with a tomei setup on his sr-240sx. All I know is that it holds up well. Can’t say anything about spool vs power etc. i know tomei is a quality brand, what you’d have to worry about is size for the power goals, set the goal you want first, and plan you’re entire mod path, and then start buying. And if you do or want to do any racing, check class rules first, then plan/buy accordingly. There is a such thing as too laggy/not fun turbos, but the ones we are talking here aren’t in that range imo

i have a 20g xtr from blouch myself. It’s strong but for the spool/power difference. The 1.5 is a better option imo. I have a good bit of experience with a handful of turbos, and I’m willing to help if I can.
I appreciate that ! I am looking to do stock location, 93 pump gas, 400whp. If I can achieve that I would be set for a while. ( till ill want more power lol )

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I appreciate that ! I am looking to do stock location, 93 pump gas, 400whp. If I can achieve that I would be set for a while. ( till ill want more power lol )
the blouch 1.5 will get you close, and possibly at 400 pending what dyno you are on and how it's calibrated. we would typically see 380-390whp on those when i was at mach v motorsports. we used a dynojet (sae correction, 5 smoothing, at about 300ft above sea level). on ethanol we'd regularly see in the mid 400s with the 1.5xtr. the blouch 2.5xtr should get you to 400 on pump, and i think the fp blue will as well (not as familiar with the fp lineup). atp 3071 will also get you there.

now if this is a mustang dyno, or a dyno dynamics, they typically read a tad lower and you might not make quite 400, but keep in mind, dont chase numbers, look for something that will provide you a wide power band. my old roommate had an 05 STi, with an fp black or red....i think red but not 100% sure. his car made something like 420whp on pump, where my 06 sti with a blouch 20g xtr made 377. both of us agreed that mine was more fun to drive on the street, because his was much laggier. although, in a drag race, his would outrun mine. basically the point i'm getting at is power isnt everything.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru STI
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
the blouch 1.5 will get you close, and possibly at 400 pending what dyno you are on and how it's calibrated. we would typically see 380-390whp on those when i was at mach v motorsports. we used a dynojet (sae correction, 5 smoothing, at about 300ft above sea level). on ethanol we'd regularly see in the mid 400s with the 1.5xtr. the blouch 2.5xtr should get you to 400 on pump, and i think the fp blue will as well (not as familiar with the fp lineup). atp 3071 will also get you there.

now if this is a mustang dyno, or a dyno dynamics, they typically read a tad lower and you might not make quite 400, but keep in mind, dont chase numbers, look for something that will provide you a wide power band. my old roommate had an 05 STi, with an fp black or red....i think red but not 100% sure. his car made something like 420whp on pump, where my 06 sti with a blouch 20g xtr made 377. both of us agreed that mine was more fun to drive on the street, because his was much laggier. although, in a drag race, his would outrun mine. basically the point i'm getting at is power isnt everything.
I agree with the power and what it means. I have dumped a lot of money into my STI on suspension, bushing, with intent to tighten up the car, therefore its so much more fun to drive. For instance since Ive done all the mods already my car feels sooooo much not only more fun, but faster too. But I am leaning towards 1.5 since its got great reputation and its stock location..

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I agree with the power and what it means. I have dumped a lot of money into my STI on suspension, bushing, with intent to tighten up the car, therefore its so much more fun to drive. For instance since Ive done all the mods already my car feels sooooo much not only more fun, but faster too. But I am leaning towards 1.5 since its got great reputation and its stock location..
between working at a subaru performance shop and getting to ride in and/or drive friends or customer cars (mostly friends who were customers) i got alot of chances to experience different turbos, and the 1.5 is my favorite stock location turbo (not including full race or spoolinator kits that replace the crappy oem type hotside). it used to be the 20g, but on the street you really do not feel the spool difference, although it is there, it's just a few hundred rpm. on pump gas, you probably wont hit 400, but you wont be far from it, and on e85 they just rip! i'd encourage that turbo no doubt (unless you are racing and your class says no to that turbo/youre in SM class for gridlife or scca autocross, then i suggest bigger+rotated). it's a fun turbo for sure.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru STI
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
between working at a subaru performance shop and getting to ride in and/or drive friends or customer cars (mostly friends who were customers) i got alot of chances to experience different turbos, and the 1.5 is my favorite stock location turbo (not including full race or spoolinator kits that replace the crappy oem type hotside). it used to be the 20g, but on the street you really do not feel the spool difference, although it is there, it's just a few hundred rpm. on pump gas, you probably wont hit 400, but you wont be far from it, and on e85 they just rip! i'd encourage that turbo no doubt (unless you are racing and your class says no to that turbo/youre in SM class for gridlife or scca autocross, then i suggest bigger+rotated). it's a fun turbo for sure.
Great to know you got to experience different builds. Is there a turbo for rotated setup you recommend that is as close to the 1.5 as far as its spool up time etc. Im afraid if I go rotated, I will lose the fun factor, and drivability of the stock location turbo ;/

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Great to know you got to experience different builds. Is there a turbo for rotated setup you recommend that is as close to the 1.5 as far as its spool up time etc. Im afraid if I go rotated, I will lose the fun factor, and drivability of the stock location turbo ;/
you wont. rotated is more expensive, but will actually cause bigger turbos to spool faster, this is because it will get rid of the oem type exhaust housing, and replace it with a better flowing exhaust housing (tial/garrett hotside, pte hotside). it's harder to fit these bigger turbos in a stock location, which also gains the ability to run bigger turbos by going rotated. personally, i'm a fan of garrett turbos when going rotated. but percision (pte), xona (made by tial), and borg warner are all extremely capable turbos. the "stock location" killer b spoolinator kits as well as the "stock location" full-race motorsport kits (i think both are discontinued) aided in spool and did well because they replaced the oem type hotside that the oem turbos/oem drop in replacement turbos come with. in short, provided the turbo is sized correctly, you can get a bigger turbo to spool faster because it has less restriction from the hotside by going with a rotated setup. you will not lose the fun factor or drivability when comparing to a stock location turbo, and it'll be easier to work on.

if you wanted to keep the top mount intercooler when going rotated, you'd need to have a pipe fabricated to meet up with the y pipe on the top mount, otherwise, for simple bolt on and tune, you'd be married to going front mount. (i think map used to make a rotated kit for use with a top mount, not sure if it's still around or not). but fabbing that pipe wouldnt be hard and wouldnt be an arm and a leg to make.

so far as spool up near that of a 1.5, you can run the garrett gtx3071r gen2 and spool just as fast. the garrett 3576 would "spool" the same. i put that in quotes because technically making the same psi would be later, but killer b has a good bit of data showing it makes the same power curve as the 3071 in the lower rpm's, but will carry that power curve higher in the upper rpms, so while the 3576 technically spools "slower" the same power is there on the low end, and increases alot on the top end, even though the boost level targeted will technically not hit "full boost" until later in the rpm band. personally, those two are my favorite turbos. I do have a few freinds with the borg warner efr7163, and Jason of jaz tuning loves those turbos. he is yamahasho on here. i know one of my friends who has the efr7163 makes 25 psi on e85 around 3500rpm in 4th. he loves it and the car is extremely competitive in autocross. iirc, he makes 450whp/448wtq. the other one spools faster, but his is a bit absurd as it's a bumper mounted twinscroll setup with the efr7163, i think it actually spools faster than stock lol. but his build is also extremely expensive, and most of the setup is custom fabricated, not an off the shelf setup.

sorry for the long post, if you cant understand let me know, sometimes i dont always explain things the best way lol.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru STI
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
you wont. rotated is more expensive, but will actually cause bigger turbos to spool faster, this is because it will get rid of the oem type exhaust housing, and replace it with a better flowing exhaust housing (tial/garrett hotside, pte hotside). it's harder to fit these bigger turbos in a stock location, which also gains the ability to run bigger turbos by going rotated. personally, i'm a fan of garrett turbos when going rotated. but percision (pte), xona (made by tial), and borg warner are all extremely capable turbos. the "stock location" killer b spoolinator kits as well as the "stock location" full-race motorsport kits (i think both are discontinued) aided in spool and did well because they replaced the oem type hotside that the oem turbos/oem drop in replacement turbos come with. in short, provided the turbo is sized correctly, you can get a bigger turbo to spool faster because it has less restriction from the hotside by going with a rotated setup. you will not lose the fun factor or drivability when comparing to a stock location turbo, and it'll be easier to work on.

if you wanted to keep the top mount intercooler when going rotated, you'd need to have a pipe fabricated to meet up with the y pipe on the top mount, otherwise, for simple bolt on and tune, you'd be married to going front mount. (i think map used to make a rotated kit for use with a top mount, not sure if it's still around or not). but fabbing that pipe wouldnt be hard and wouldnt be an arm and a leg to make.

so far as spool up near that of a 1.5, you can run the garrett gtx3071r gen2 and spool just as fast. the garrett 3576 would "spool" the same. i put that in quotes because technically making the same psi would be later, but killer b has a good bit of data showing it makes the same power curve as the 3071 in the lower rpm's, but will carry that power curve higher in the upper rpms, so while the 3576 technically spools "slower" the same power is there on the low end, and increases alot on the top end, even though the boost level targeted will technically not hit "full boost" until later in the rpm band. personally, those two are my favorite turbos. I do have a few freinds with the borg warner efr7163, and Jason of jaz tuning loves those turbos. he is yamahasho on here. i know one of my friends who has the efr7163 makes 25 psi on e85 around 3500rpm in 4th. he loves it and the car is extremely competitive in autocross. iirc, he makes 450whp/448wtq. the other one spools faster, but his is a bit absurd as it's a bumper mounted twinscroll setup with the efr7163, i think it actually spools faster than stock lol. but his build is also extremely expensive, and most of the setup is custom fabricated, not an off the shelf setup.

sorry for the long post, if you cant understand let me know, sometimes i don't always explain things the best way lol.
First of all I really appreciate all the effort into educating me, and whoever comes across this post. I am glad you explained it the way you did, I love learning about STI's and cars in general so this helps a ton. I believe I may go with stock location first, because I have never done anything outside of an intake lol. Stock location turbo I believe will be a great entry level for me to get into building my car. Since I have primarily focused on the cars agility while building it, my " stock " STI ( quotes because its stock engine everything, but its built underneath the car ) is already fun to drive because its so tight and responsive, and cant imagine once I start increasing power and changing sound it it. Cant wait

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
First of all I really appreciate all the effort into educating me, and whoever comes across this post. I am glad you explained it the way you did, I love learning about STI's and cars in general so this helps a ton. I believe I may go with stock location first, because I have never done anything outside of an intake lol. Stock location turbo I believe will be a great entry level for me to get into building my car. Since I have primarily focused on the cars agility while building it, my " stock " STI ( quotes because its stock engine everything, but its built underneath the car ) is already fun to drive because its so tight and responsive, and cant imagine once I start increasing power and changing sound it it. Cant wait
so long as you arent racing competitively, go for it. stock location turbos have their drawbacks, but they can still be quite a bit of fun. the 20g xtr and dom 1.5 are my two favorite stock location setups personally. if you are racing, just check class rules and see if you are allowed to upgrade the turbo and if so, if there's a size limit. other than that. i'm sure it'll be a blast. i'm currently working on the suspension part myself haha. i basically did mine the opposite of you lol.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru STI
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
so long as you arent racing competitively, go for it. stock location turbos have their drawbacks, but they can still be quite a bit of fun. the 20g xtr and dom 1.5 are my two favorite stock location setups personally. if you are racing, just check class rules and see if you are allowed to upgrade the turbo and if so, if there's a size limit. other than that. i'm sure it'll be a blast. i'm currently working on the suspension part myself haha. i basically did mine the opposite of you lol.
with racing its tricky, because I think many supportive mods that ive done, arent group N. At the same time ill just enjoy my build not worrying about restrictions for now since I live by the mountains, and once Im further in the build with this STI I will be taking it quiet often to enjoy the mountain runs.
What coilovers are you going to get ? I just ordered Gen 8 Fortune Auto's 510's with Hyperco Springs. I am super excited for them. I was set on Ohlins road and track with hyperco springs but last minute I changed my mind. These FA's should be much better than Ohlins.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
with racing its tricky, because I think many supportive mods that ive done, arent group N. At the same time ill just enjoy my build not worrying about restrictions for now since I live by the mountains, and once Im further in the build with this STI I will be taking it quiet often to enjoy the mountain runs.
What coilovers are you going to get ? I just ordered Gen 8 Fortune Auto's 510's with Hyperco Springs. I am super excited for them. I was set on Ohlins road and track with hyperco springs but last minute I changed my mind. These FA's should be much better than Ohlins.
i'm currently on my third set of coils haha. fortune wont really be much better thatn ohlins, honestly they'd probably be pretty similar. both are nice options. i have cygnus performance x1-motorsports (made by fortune, with cygnus custom valving). i also have hyperco springs and camber plates both front and rear. 9k/8k springs. i personally love them. and i havent even fully dialed them in. in addition i have 24mm whitline sways, both front and rear, kartboy endlinks. and the whiteline roll center adjustment kit. eventually i'll redo all the bushings in the suspension for poly/spherical bushings. as well as the whiteline anti lift kit and the full cusco bracing lineup, just takes time to save for it all. power wise, i'm happy with where i'm at, ideally i'll get a fuel system to run e85, MAYBE a front mount, and call it a day on that. hoping i can get wheels this year, but i was hoping for that last year and life told my bank account money had to go elsewhere haha. so we shall see.

and group n wouldnt necessarily be anything to worry in terms of racing class, but if it's just for street/fun, set a goal and stick to it and have fun.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru STI
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
i'm currently on my third set of coils haha. fortune wont really be much better thatn ohlins, honestly they'd probably be pretty similar. both are nice options. i have cygnus performance x1-motorsports (made by fortune, with cygnus custom valving). i also have hyperco springs and camber plates both front and rear. 9k/8k springs. i personally love them. and i havent even fully dialed them in. in addition i have 24mm whitline sways, both front and rear, kartboy endlinks. and the whiteline roll center adjustment kit. eventually i'll redo all the bushings in the suspension for poly/spherical bushings. as well as the whiteline anti lift kit and the full cusco bracing lineup, just takes time to save for it all. power wise, i'm happy with where i'm at, ideally i'll get a fuel system to run e85, MAYBE a front mount, and call it a day on that. hoping i can get wheels this year, but i was hoping for that last year and life told my bank account money had to go elsewhere haha. so we shall see.

and group n wouldnt necessarily be anything to worry in terms of racing class, but if it's just for street/fun, set a goal and stick to it and have fun.

Sounds like a great set up my friend. So the CUsco bracing I am also looking into it, but I will see how my car is with fully built suspension and go from there. If its not so stiff and unbearable, I will definitely install a few cusco braces.
And I feel you on the money part, something ALWAYS comes up lol its just life

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Sounds like a great set up my friend. So the CUsco bracing I am also looking into it, but I will see how my car is with fully built suspension and go from there. If its not so stiff and unbearable, I will definitely install a few cusco braces.
And I feel you on the money part, something ALWAYS comes up lol its just life

so that link is for a GD, but still the same concept. adding bracing doesnt stiffen the suspension, it stiffens the chassis, and can actually cause the suspension to work more effectively because the chassis wont be flexing, which would enhance both ride quality and handling capabilities. just something to look into and consider. motoiq has some really good tech articles. some apply only to subaru, but many, and in this case chassis bracing, applies to cars in general.

and yeah, my setup is fun for sure lol. the 510s will do a little better, as mine are basically modified fa500s (coilovers). the 20g in mine is an all around great turbo, and one of the ones i suggest to people most, really it's that and the 1.5 so far as stock location goes. issue with it for me, is that for local classes in terms of racing, i'd have been better off going with either a slightly bigger or a slightly smaller turbo, although they did just split classes locally to an over/under 400whp class, so that's definitely helpful.

and yeah, this year i got married, wedding cost, home updates and we are prepping to sell and buy another, and my wife and I have a child on the way. so money has been tight haha. good thing is that she encourages me to work on the car and race it like i want to, i just dont as much cause i dont want her to have to pay and stress over that from her income. so we will see how that all pans out this year/next lol.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru STI
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·

so that link is for a GD, but still the same concept. adding bracing doesnt stiffen the suspension, it stiffens the chassis, and can actually cause the suspension to work more effectively because the chassis wont be flexing, which would enhance both ride quality and handling capabilities. just something to look into and consider. motoiq has some really good tech articles. some apply only to subaru, but many, and in this case chassis bracing, applies to cars in general.

and yeah, my setup is fun for sure lol. the 510s will do a little better, as mine are basically modified fa500s (coilovers). the 20g in mine is an all around great turbo, and one of the ones i suggest to people most, really it's that and the 1.5 so far as stock location goes. issue with it for me, is that for local classes in terms of racing, i'd have been better off going with either a slightly bigger or a slightly smaller turbo, although they did just split classes locally to an over/under 400whp class, so that's definitely helpful.

and yeah, this year i got married, wedding cost, home updates and we are prepping to sell and buy another, and my wife and I have a child on the way. so money has been tight haha. good thing is that she encourages me to work on the car and race it like i want to, i just dont as much cause i dont want her to have to pay and stress over that from her income. so we will see how that all pans out this year/next lol.
Thank you for all that info, I am about to read that article you sent.
Congrats on the baby, I know what its like to be a dad haha its wonderful actually. I will most likely end up getting Cusco braces, cant wait :) Do you have an Instagram account that we can continue car talk there ?

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Thank you for all that info, I am about to read that article you sent.
Congrats on the baby, I know what its like to be a dad haha its wonderful actually. I will most likely end up getting Cusco braces, cant wait :) Do you have an Instagram account that we can continue car talk there ?
yes and no. i "have" instagram but i forgot the password and dont have the email anymore lol. so i cant really recover it. this site is basically the extent of my social media haha. you can PM me here to keep talking cars. but i doubt i'll be back on social media anytime soon.

·
Registered
2021 Subaru STI
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
yes and no. i "have" instagram but i forgot the password and dont have the email anymore lol. so i cant really recover it. this site is basically the extent of my social media haha. you can PM me here to keep talking cars. but i doubt i'll be back on social media anytime soon.
Right on ! I completely understand.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Right on ! I completely understand.
i'm pretty active on here. so i'll be able to respond fairly quick haha. but yeah ive been a bit happier and more myself without social media like fb and ig. never really got onto any others aside from here and nasioc (which i barely ever go onto anymore).

also, thank you for the congrats. my wife and i are pretty excited. currently we are working on selling our house and moving. which is gonna be a headache, but worth it lol.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts