IW STi Forum banner

Would you consider buying a turbo from Grimmspeed over all the other offerings ?

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

Registered
Thats some big power ! Is the car responsive ? Lets say you took it to autocross or track, would it still be as responsive as stock ?

I've never driven a stock sti so I can't really give you a good comparison. I bought my 08 with a blown motor as a project and my initial experience with it was at the initial pump gas numbers I mentioned. I find it to be incredibly responsive. Especially considering the size of the turbo. Boost Lab does offer a BL54XR which is basically a Garrett G25-660. It's a 49mm turbine wheel

Registered
2021 Subaru STI
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I've never driven a stock sti so I can't really give you a good comparison. I bought my 08 with a blown motor as a project and my initial experience with it was at the initial pump gas numbers I mentioned. I find it to be incredibly responsive. Especially considering the size of the turbo. Boost Lab does offer a BL54XR which is basically a Garrett G25-660. It's a 49mm turbine wheel
Thats great to hear bro !

Registered
I've had mine installed for about a month now and love it. Its making 396hp/371tq on 93 @ 21psi. It is a little bit more lag than the stock turbo but not bad.

Registered
2021 Subaru STI
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I've had mine installed for about a month now and love it. Its making 396hp/371tq on 93 @ 21psi. It is a little bit more lag than the stock turbo but not bad.
I'm surprised there's more lag given how much time it took to develop this turbo. Also those are great numbers. What dyno did you use Mustang by any chance ? The performance shop that I used to go to before I moved out of state ( and they are really the best of the best ) installed a few of these, and they stated that every customer that got the turbo, didnt even come close to those numbers. Many people were around 310-350whp on e85. I really wonder if it depends on the dyno type and or the tuner.

Registered
I'm surprised there's more lag given how much time it took to develop this turbo. Also those are great numbers. What dyno did you use Mustang by any chance ? The performance shop that I used to go to before I moved out of state ( and they are really the best of the best ) installed a few of these, and they stated that every customer that got the turbo, didnt even come close to those numbers. Many people were around 310-350whp on e85. I really wonder if it depends on the dyno type and or the tuner.
Any turbo bugger than stock will be laggier. I still haven鈥檛 seen anything that is stock location in that size that spools like stock.

also, it鈥檚 a combination of dyno, correction factor, ambient temp, elevation, and tuner鈥..for a short list lol. Add in variations like motor, supporting mods, heads, valves, exhaust housing size etc鈥..and it can be wildly different. Although 350 on e85 still seems extremely conservative.

Registered
I was tuned By National Speed in Wilmington, NC. They have a dynojet dyno. That is also uncorrected numbers right after its was done.

Reactions: TorqueStable

Registered
2021 Subaru STI
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Any turbo bugger than stock will be laggier. I still haven鈥檛 seen anything that is stock location in that size that spools like stock.

also, it鈥檚 a combination of dyno, correction factor, ambient temp, elevation, and tuner鈥..for a short list lol. Add in variations like motor, supporting mods, heads, valves, exhaust housing size etc鈥..and it can be wildly different. Although 350 on e85 still seems extremely conservative.
That makes sense, but what about the Bouch 1.5xtr ? Thats the turbo I am leaning towards after all the positive feedback and possibilities with it. I was under impression this turbo spools very quickly, but what do I know lol. Still learning about the whole after market performance aspect of it.

Registered
That makes sense, but what about the Bouch 1.5xtr ? Thats the turbo I am leaning towards after all the positive feedback and possibilities with it. I was under impression this turbo spools very quickly, but what do I know lol. Still learning about the whole after market performance aspect of it.
Does it spool quickly, yes. Will it spool like stock, not even close. It will be noticeably laggier than stock, but it鈥檚 still fast spooling, good boost recovery/transient (on/off throttle+switching gears), and has the ability to hold power throughout the rev range. Don鈥檛 let lag scare you. The 1.5 will give you a wider power band than a stock turbo by far. And be much faster, but don鈥檛 expect to make 21psi by 3k rpm like you could on a stock turbo. The 1.5 is my favorite stock location turbo.

Registered
2021 Subaru STI
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Does it spool quickly, yes. Will it spool like stock, not even close. It will be noticeably laggier than stock, but it鈥檚 still fast spooling, good boost recovery/transient (on/off throttle+switching gears), and has the ability to hold power throughout the rev range. Don鈥檛 let lag scare you. The 1.5 will give you a wider power band than a stock turbo by far. And be much faster, but don鈥檛 expect to make 21psi by 3k rpm like you could on a stock turbo. The 1.5 is my favorite stock location turbo.
Thats great to hear. Do you have any experience with a Tomei turbos ? That would be my other choice but I dont know anything about them. I was told that the sound it makes beats any turbo, and also Tomei has a great reputation as a brand. What are your thoughts ?

Registered
I had mine done there as well, been fighting a grounding issue. just went through everything and havent been back yet, going back soon to drop and iag 2.5 and really crank it up. really cant wait to see the numbers after the new motor. now that i think i got all my bugs figured out hopefully my tq numbers will come up as well
Rectangle Slope Font Parallel Pattern

Registered
2021 Subaru STI
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I had mine done there as well, been fighting a grounding issue. just went through everything and havent been back yet, going back soon to drop and iag 2.5 and really crank it up. really cant wait to see the numbers after the new motor. now that i think i got all my bugs figured out hopefully my tq numbers will come up as well
View attachment 67092
Those are some great numbers ! I bet its such a huge difference from stock. And good luck with your future build that seems like its going to be a game changer with the iag 2.5

Registered
Those are some great numbers ! I bet its such a huge difference from stock. And good luck with your future build that seems like its going to be a game changer with the iag 2.5
it is a considerable difference from stock, like i said though i was fighting some ground issues and have been plagued with p0300, done the ground wire solder trick, installed the iwire ground kit, you name it. i do have some build up on my exhaust valves but the car runs great... just babying it right now till the shop gets the iag motor in hand shouldnt be to much longer maybe another week or so. We are also going to switch over to ecutek, i guess it is more tunable than AP right now. at least thats what im told. gonna stick with this turbo for now and later next year i am gonnna switch to the atp gtx3582r. we will see how much this bb500 can take on a built block, ill throw the sheet up after the new motor goes in

Registered
Thats great to hear. Do you have any experience with a Tomei turbos ? That would be my other choice but I dont know anything about them. I was told that the sound it makes beats any turbo, and also Tomei has a great reputation as a brand. What are your thoughts ?
I have no experience with the tomei turbos on Subaru. I have one friend with a tomei setup on his sr-240sx. All I know is that it holds up well. Can鈥檛 say anything about spool vs power etc. i know tomei is a quality brand, what you鈥檇 have to worry about is size for the power goals, set the goal you want first, and plan you鈥檙e entire mod path, and then start buying. And if you do or want to do any racing, check class rules first, then plan/buy accordingly. There is a such thing as too laggy/not fun turbos, but the ones we are talking here aren鈥檛 in that range imo

i have a 20g xtr from blouch myself. It鈥檚 strong but for the spool/power difference. The 1.5 is a better option imo. I have a good bit of experience with a handful of turbos, and I鈥檓 willing to help if I can.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts