IW STi Forum banner

Would you consider buying a turbo from Grimmspeed over all the other offerings ?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

Registered
2021 Subaru STI
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Does anyone at all have any experience with this new turbo ? I know lots of people trust Grimmspeed and based on their description, this turbo is really capable AT A STOCK LOCATION !
- Id like to hear some feedback, experiences, and builds in general involving this new Grimmspeed BB500 turbo. Thank you, and looking forward to finding out how good this turbo is :)

Registered
I am planning on using this on my build. Will not be until July/August for it to be done. Waiting on parts to come in still.

Reactions: TorqueStable

Registered
i always love turbo talk and am just here to learn about this turbo lol.

that said, based on the multitude of different setups ive seen between racing, friends, working at mach v, and my own experience, the blouch dom 1.5xtr is my favorite for oem location, for rotated setups that's a different story lol.

Registered
2021 Subaru STI
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am planning on using this on my build. Will not be until July/August for it to be done. Waiting on parts to come in still.
Im probably going to start modifying my engine as well either late this year or next year so perfect haha, I just like to do research before hand, and not rush anything. I am looking forward to see how it works out for you.

Registered
2021 Subaru STI
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i always love turbo talk and am just here to learn about this turbo lol.

that said, based on the multitude of different setups ive seen between racing, friends, working at mach v, and my own experience, the blouch dom 1.5xtr is my favorite for oem location, for rotated setups that's a different story lol.
I see that turbo come up a lot! Gotta check it out. For my build I will be looking at quickest spooling/low lag set up. Preferably TMIC as well, since I dont think I will want to go over 400-450whp.

Registered
I see that turbo come up a lot! Gotta check it out. For my build I will be looking at quickest spooling/low lag set up. Preferably TMIC as well, since I dont think I will want to go over 400-450whp.
wellfor quickest spooling at that power level, the 1.5 is right there for you lol. I have a blouch 20g xtr, with a spearco top mount on my 06 sti. on pump gas it made 377whp/401wtq on IAG's dynojet. havent got e85 yet but based on others it should be in the low 400 range, i'd guess it'll make 415-430 on a dynojet. that said, the 1.5xtr spools like 300rpm later but makes more power up top. 300rpm is hardly noticable on the street and without driving back to back, you really dont notice a difference. ive driven quite a few different turbo setups, and ridden in even more. the 1.5 is my favorite stock location setup. if you can afford rotated and e85, the gtx3071r or the efr 7163 are the fastest spooling turbos ive seen that will easily make 450whp (on e85). i'd personally go this route if you can afford it and if your class allows it (IF you are tracking the car competetively, if it's just for fun, i'd do rotated with one of the two listed turbos as well)

Registered
2021 Subaru STI
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wellfor quickest spooling at that power level, the 1.5 is right there for you lol. I have a blouch 20g xtr, with a spearco top mount on my 06 sti. on pump gas it made 377whp/401wtq on IAG's dynojet. havent got e85 yet but based on others it should be in the low 400 range, i'd guess it'll make 415-430 on a dynojet. that said, the 1.5xtr spools like 300rpm later but makes more power up top. 300rpm is hardly noticable on the street and without driving back to back, you really dont notice a difference. ive driven quite a few different turbo setups, and ridden in even more. the 1.5 is my favorite stock location setup. if you can afford rotated and e85, the gtx3071r or the efr 7163 are the fastest spooling turbos ive seen that will easily make 450whp (on e85). i'd personally go this route if you can afford it and if your class allows it (IF you are tracking the car competetively, if it's just for fun, i'd do rotated with one of the two listed turbos as well)
Thats great information bro, thank YOU ! Actually as of now I will not want to run e85, I know its better in so many ways, but I just like having everything OEMish. I would only consider e85 if I really went all out with a big turbo, FMIC and like a stage 5 short block or something of that nature. As far as rotated or not, I do not know too much about it. For instance, with rotated, do I have to go FMIC to make that adjustment ?

Registered
Thats great information bro, thank YOU ! Actually as of now I will not want to run e85, I know its better in so many ways, but I just like having everything OEMish. I would only consider e85 if I really went all out with a big turbo, FMIC and like a stage 5 short block or something of that nature. As far as rotated or not, I do not know too much about it. For instance, with rotated, do I have to go FMIC to make that adjustment ?
well if you can afford it, e85 aka going flex fuel, will benefit significantly even with just a stock turbo. the turbos i listed off would all most likely be in the upper 300s at the tires, maybe the low 400s on pump gas.

as far as rotated, yes you can run a rotated setup with a top mount intercooler. although you may have to have a custom y pipe adapter made to work with a tmic. i do believe IAG can make a kit designed to work with tmic, and i think map performance does as well. some rotated kits will not be compatible with a top mount, some will, some will require the custom y pipe for tmic, jsut have to research which one will work and which wont. the benefit of going rotated even on a relatively smaller turbo is the turbo's exhaust housing or hotside, the oem type housing found on stock turbos and stock location turbos is very restrictive, so when you go rotated, you will get a better hotside that will allow the turbo to breathe better, resulting in faster spool up and more power up top vs a stock location turbo of the same size. I went stock location and wish i'd have just spent the extra money to go rotated. but turbo tech has come a long way, and turbos even in a stock location can perform extremely well and be alot of fun. the dom 1.5xtr probably wont break 400 on pump gas, but it will come very close. when you start trying for stock location turbos to hit 450, they tend to get very laggy because of how big they need to be, my old roomate had an fp red or black (cant remember which) on his 05 sti, and i had a 20g on my 06. his did make 423whp on pump gas, while mine, at the time, was only making 346whp, even though mine was making less, both of us agreed mine was much more fun on the street even though his was faster, just because of how fast it came on. basically i'm trying to say, if you are only going to run pump gas and a stock location turbo, i'd stay with the 1.5xtr even though it likely wont make 400, upper 300s is plenty fun, and if i remember correctly, we'd consistently see 385-390whp on sti's with the 1.5 on pump gas when i was at mach v motorsports. (the dyno was average reading dynojet, stock sti would put in the 240whp range)

Registered
2021 Subaru STI
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well if you can afford it, e85 aka going flex fuel, will benefit significantly even with just a stock turbo. the turbos i listed off would all most likely be in the upper 300s at the tires, maybe the low 400s on pump gas.

as far as rotated, yes you can run a rotated setup with a top mount intercooler. although you may have to have a custom y pipe adapter made to work with a tmic. i do believe IAG can make a kit designed to work with tmic, and i think map performance does as well. some rotated kits will not be compatible with a top mount, some will, some will require the custom y pipe for tmic, jsut have to research which one will work and which wont. the benefit of going rotated even on a relatively smaller turbo is the turbo's exhaust housing or hotside, the oem type housing found on stock turbos and stock location turbos is very restrictive, so when you go rotated, you will get a better hotside that will allow the turbo to breathe better, resulting in faster spool up and more power up top vs a stock location turbo of the same size. I went stock location and wish i'd have just spent the extra money to go rotated. but turbo tech has come a long way, and turbos even in a stock location can perform extremely well and be alot of fun. the dom 1.5xtr probably wont break 400 on pump gas, but it will come very close. when you start trying for stock location turbos to hit 450, they tend to get very laggy because of how big they need to be, my old roomate had an fp red or black (cant remember which) on his 05 sti, and i had a 20g on my 06. his did make 423whp on pump gas, while mine, at the time, was only making 346whp, even though mine was making less, both of us agreed mine was much more fun on the street even though his was faster, just because of how fast it came on. basically i'm trying to say, if you are only going to run pump gas and a stock location turbo, i'd stay with the 1.5xtr even though it likely wont make 400, upper 300s is plenty fun, and if i remember correctly, we'd consistently see 385-390whp on sti's with the 1.5 on pump gas when i was at mach v motorsports. (the dyno was average reading dynojet, stock sti would put in the 240whp range)
You have no idea how helpful this is to me. I appreciate you putting the time and explaining this. Keep in touch. I and 400whp i assume is plenty enough. I have no experienced any moded STI's at all. Anything over stock will be a pleasure, especially when its gonna be 100whp more. I cant wait

Registered
You have no idea how helpful this is to me. I appreciate you putting the time and explaining this. Keep in touch. I and 400whp i assume is plenty enough. I have no experienced any moded STI's at all. Anything over stock will be a pleasure, especially when its gonna be 100whp more. I cant wait
Hapoy to help. And yeah if you have no experience with modified STi you鈥檒l really like even 350whp. It鈥檚 a lot more than people realize and so much fun, even if it鈥檚 not the fastest.

Registered
I love my rotated EFR 7163. 440 whp at 20 psi, which is plenty for a street car. Makes 510 whp at 27 psi with very good streetability. Will make 27 psi at 3800 RPMs in 4th with stock header, FMIC and at 5500 ft!

My choice for stock location turbo would definitely be a 1.5XTR but I'm also curious about the Grimmspeed turbos.
What fuel are you running for this?

Registered
I'm running a rotated Boost Lab BL54XR+ (essentially a Garrett G30-660) that would fit your needs. Built motor, mildly ported heads, BC 272 cams, Grimmspeed tmic, meth injection & full bolt ons it made 420/405 @ 20 psi on 93/meth and 475/467 @ 26 psi on e55/meth on a mustang dyno. Full spool in 4th by 3900 and can build positive pressure at anything over 2k rpms. I've since switched to a fmic and swapped to a NA short runner intake manifold and am now 452/420 @ 22 psi on 93/meth and 521/490 @ 27 psi on e70/meth on the same dyno. A stock sti makes 250-260 whp on said dyno for reference.

Registered
2021 Subaru STI
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm running a rotated Boost Lab BL54XR+ (essentially a Garrett G30-660) that would fit your needs. Built motor, mildly ported heads, BC 272 cams, Grimmspeed tmic, meth injection & full bolt ons it made 420/405 @ 20 psi on 93/meth and 475/467 @ 26 psi on e55/meth on a mustang dyno. Full spool in 4th by 3900 and can build positive pressure at anything over 2k rpms. I've since switched to a fmic and swapped to a NA short runner intake manifold and am now 452/420 @ 22 psi on 93/meth and 521/490 @ 27 psi on e70/meth on the same dyno. A stock sti makes 250-260 whp on said dyno for reference.
Thats some big power ! Is the car responsive ? Lets say you took it to autocross or track, would it still be as responsive as stock ?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts