IW STi Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Indiatr0n in yo IWDPL
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Registered
598 Posts
nandanrp said:
My Rebel XT's 8.0 MP CMOS feels like less of a man compared to the new Rebel XTi's 10.1 MP :p

Don't feel inadequate. The 10.1 EFFECTIVE megapixel sensor is still the same DIGIC II chip used in the XT and the 20/30D's. The difference will not be at all noticeable and I'd bet the new XTi even has more high ISO noise than the old model.

If I had an XT and wanted to upgrade, I'd save a bit more and buy the 30D instead of the XTi. The larger size body, better build quality, 5 FPS speed, easier controls, larger buffer, spot metering, and better shutter life all outweigh the extra megapixel and dust cleaning mechanism tenfold in my opinion.

· Registered
646 Posts
mega pixels are a myth and mega pixels are what sell cameras its all about lenses and sensor demensions . Dont take me wrong this is an amazing camera but the XT feels cheap and weakin the hands. sorry I am very blunt and too the point but IMHO.

Nikon FTW!

· Administrator
8,374 Posts
Don't feel inadequate. The 10.1 EFFECTIVE megapixel sensor is still the same DIGIC II chip used in the XT and the 20/30D's. The difference will not be at all noticeable and I'd bet the new XTi even has more high ISO noise than the old model.

If I had an XT and wanted to upgrade, I'd save a bit more and buy the 30D instead of the XTi. The larger size body, better build quality, 5 FPS speed, easier controls, larger buffer, spot metering, and better shutter life all outweigh the extra megapixel and dust cleaning mechanism tenfold in my opinion.
This is the truth! plus, there is a limit to how high these chips will be able to go anyways so the increase in MP's isn't always a good thing. I agree with the noise issue, which has always been something canon has done well...not going to be the case here. 30d is a much better camera!

mega pixels are a myth and mega pixels are what sell cameras its all about lenses and sensor demensions . Dont take me wrong this is an amazing camera but the XT feels cheap and weakin the hands. sorry I am very blunt and too the point but IMHO.

Nikon FTW!
also very true. the build quality just isn't there for the XT and especially not with the 300d. both cameras are extremely too small for my hands which would make me want the grip just to even it out.

but im also a Nikon sackrider so its d200 FTW!!!

· Premium Member
8,226 Posts
IWSTInsane said:

Nikon FTW!
+1....i use to have a XT but didnt like how it was, but now im looking to the nikon d50

· Indiatr0n in yo IWDPL
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Insane06STi said:
Dibs on your old camera nandan!
Haha, I'm not getting rid of mine. I've been happy with the XT, and Canons in general (I had a PowerShot S50 before, and that's why I stuck with Canon). I didn't really even research the Nikons, but the reading I did on the XT convinced me it was a great starter dSLR.

d200 FTW huh...sounds way too much like g200 :p

· Registered
46 Posts
I few weeks back I decided I wanted to go ahead and get a Digital Rebel XT. Looking for a good price on one, I happened upon the XTi. Amazed at the fact that it sounded shockingly similiar to "STi" I decided to look into it. It seems to be the same as the XT, with a few new features. Overall it looks to be as good if not better than the XT, and only about 100 bucks more. This will be my first D-SLR camera, so I hope that it will be a good starter camera.

I plan to get one when I get back from Chicago next week, hopefully it will be a good buy.

http://www.wolfcamera.com/product/541161261.htm?bct=t1134

· Registered
598 Posts
That's arguable you Nikon whores. :D

And STi28086, the XTi is an excellent camera. It will serve you very well. I do recommend you go to a local store and play around with it and compare it with the 30D though as the smaller size body (on the XT/XTi) does not fit everyone. It's too small for me personally.

· Registered
46 Posts
762x51, I plan to go to a local store and physically play with a few different types to be sure that it is the right camera for me. As far as functionality goes, I imagine that they all are somewhat similiar. Is this a fair assumption?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.