IW STi Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello a'body. Just picked up my silver on silver last night - now have 79 miles :( lol. Now, first order of business though ... stereo!!!

I've been reading lots on the electronics forum. Everyone seems to have a different way of installing their speakers. I think the stock ones are 5.25" all around, but Crutchfield shows 6.5" in the front and 4" in the back. Saw lots of folks with 6.5 components in the front and 5.25" in the back doors (all with spacers).

Can someone point me in the right direction for a post they think is totally accurate? I've read about 25 spkr posts!! Or, are there just bunches and bunches of ways of doing it.

Anyway, greetings fellow owners

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
slashSTI said:
...Now, first order of business though ... stereo!!!
eh, you should first enjoy the sound for about 2 weeks. then get a stereo. this'll also give you a chance to see if yours is a pinger.

slashSTI said:
I think the stock ones are 5.25" all around, but Crutchfield shows 6.5" in the front and 4" in the back. Saw lots of folks with 6.5 components in the front and 5.25" in the back doors (all with spacers).
i thought the stocks are 4" front and back. anyway, i put 5.25" components in the front and 5.25" coaxials in the back with spacers in the front; a little cutting to put in the rears. works great.

slashSTI said:
...are there just bunches and bunches of ways of doing it.
yep. this is it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
My understanding is stock speakers are 5.25 front and 4 rear. I put 6.5 inch components in the front with no space problems at all. I made 3/4 inch spacers from MDF. No metal cutting needed.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure I totally understand the spacers/adapters issues. Can anyone elaborate on the exact spkr installation process? ie. take off door panels, drill new holes, install adapter, etc..

Thx

1 - 5 of 5 Posts