IW STi Forum banner

401 - 418 of 418 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Without reading through 40 pages of replies, can anyone tell me if this thing is pre wired to the trunk already, and if it is, can those wires be used for an aftermarket sub and amp?

Thanks
No and you wouldn't want to use it anyway as the signals are spliced off the front speakers. I am lucky in that my Canadian model came with a Pioneer AVIC-9310BT so the deck has proper subwoofer outputs. I plan on purchasing this Kicker setup primarily for the sub and enclosure and simpy replacing the little 100w amp with a Fosgate PBR300x1. This way it will look stock but the sub will function properly from a proper pre-amp signal.

·
Registered
75 Posts
LOL the problem with the sub is not just line level inputs.

Waste of money to buy it for the plastic enclosure and driver why not spend the money on an AI enclosure and like any cheap sub and it will rock with that little RF amp!

·
Registered
561 Posts
LOL the problem with the sub is not just line level inputs.

Waste of money to buy it for the plastic enclosure and driver why not spend the money on an AI enclosure and like any cheap sub and it will rock with that little RF amp!
The T-harness, cheap high pass filters and amp are the problem with the Kicker sub and I don't plan on using those items. I thought about the AI enclosure but is virtually the same price without a sub and doesn't look OEM. I'm not a bass head and don't listen to pop or dance music. I'm just looking for more full sound than the baseless stock setup and money isn't an issue.

·
Registered
75 Posts
The enclosure is cheap plastic and the speaker is a $5 driver if that. Built to a price and sweet sweet frosting cake profit for Subaru and the dealer. Nothing wrong with it, it is convenient to buy and fills a need. They are using the same speaker and amp they used years ago in a plastic box in the Kicker stereo in my SRT-4. It sounded OK for stock stereo it is not bad.

Seriously the AI enclosure is worlds apart can't compare the two. You could buy ANY driver that fits in there and it would be better. I used a crappy Kenwood and cheap USAcoustics amp off EBay and it sounded sweet. This is not "loudness" everyone always says that, better equipment gives you better sound not "more volume". Do you have the Sedan or Hatch? The hatch Kicker doesn't look that great and you have to move it to fold the seats.

Oh well I'll shut up now, its your money and stuff, just offering an opinion having been there done that. Either way let everyone know how it works out!

·
Registered
561 Posts
The enclosure is cheap plastic and the speaker is a $5 driver if that. Built to a price and sweet sweet frosting cake profit for Subaru and the dealer. Nothing wrong with it, it is convenient to buy and fills a need. They are using the same speaker and amp they used years ago in a plastic box in the Kicker stereo in my SRT-4. It sounded OK for stock stereo it is not bad.

Seriously the AI enclosure is worlds apart can't compare the two. You could buy ANY driver that fits in there and it would be better. I used a crappy Kenwood and cheap USAcoustics amp off EBay and it sounded sweet. This is not "loudness" everyone always says that, better equipment gives you better sound not "more volume". Do you have the Sedan or Hatch? The hatch Kicker doesn't look that great and you have to move it to fold the seats.

Oh well I'll shut up now, its your money and stuff, just offering an opinion having been there done that. Either way let everyone know how it works out!
I have the sedan and I like that the Kicker sub in the sedan is tucked somewhat out of the way. I still may go the AI enclosure route as I haven't made any purchases as of yet. All I know is that the standard setup that comes with Canadian Sport-tech models is underwhelming as is and there is no base in the system.

·
Registered
1 Posts
- Is it too late to keep this thread going?

I bought the kicker sub for my Impreza this past December and listened to it for about 10 minutes before I unplugged it; it truly is way too loud. Instead of taking it back I just kept it around for some stupid reason and now I'm kind of determined to get it to sound "decent". I bought an aftermarket head unit this past weekend and it's made a huge difference; it actually sounds pretty good, however, it still annoys me that I can't adjust the volume on it.

My question is- what's stopping me from cutting the speaker wire from the harness (I suppose after all the filters) and attaching a speaker wire to RCA adapter and plugging that into the sub woofer pre-out of my head unit. Am I missing something?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
- Is it too late to keep this thread going?

I bought the kicker sub for my Impreza this past December and listened to it for about 10 minutes before I unplugged it; it truly is way too loud. Instead of taking it back I just kept it around for some stupid reason and now I'm kind of determined to get it to sound "decent". I bought an aftermarket head unit this past weekend and it's made a huge difference; it actually sounds pretty good, however, it still annoys me that I can't adjust the volume on it.

My question is- what's stopping me from cutting the speaker wire from the harness (I suppose after all the filters) and attaching a speaker wire to RCA adapter and plugging that into the sub woofer pre-out of my head unit. Am I missing something?

Thanks for the help.

I found the same thing. Sometimes I want the bass, sometimes I don`t. Depends on what I`m listening to.

I ultimately replaced the built-in amp on the bottom of the box with a small Kicker amp which I installed under the driver`s seat. The Kicker amp has a remote gain so I can adjust the volume independent of the factory head-unit. The amp is flexible enough that it can be used even if I ultimately change the head-unit.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Yeah I went with aftermarket in the end as well;

-Rockford Fosgate PBR300X1, Boosted Rail Mono Amp (under passenger seat)
-Rockford Fosgate P2-DVC, 10" Dual Voice Coil Sub
-Audio Integrations 10" Sub Enclosure
-Pioneer GEX-P920XM, XM Tuner

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same issues with the sub in my hatch and was disappointed when I got it. I was able to find some direct plug in harnesses (late 90's mazda) and threw a dual gang 100k potentiometer on those harnesses and I now have a volume control on the sub. Cost about 15 dollars. Put a low pass choke on it as well and that further cleaned up the tone. Just FYI as a cheap way to get much better control and sound. 25 bucks as well for a decent box and you are worlds ahead. I knew the sub was going to be bad.. just not as bad as it was! I wanted the factory wiring for cleanliness etc rather than having to do the wiring myself like I've always done or risk the kinds of disasters most audio techs seem to manage to create.

·
Registered
64 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Not sure if you are serious, check the link.

I got to try the 10" Kicker today when I picked up my new WRX as they had mistakenly installed that one instead of the underseat one. After comparing them, I highly prefer the underseat and would recommend it if you have the hatch back. Even messing with the hidden menus (primarily turning off loudness and setting the EQ to Through) the 10" was much better than defaults but still too much. The underseat with both knobs at middle settings works great and was exactly what I wanted.

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
Re: Audio integrations or wicked C.A.S. enclosure with trunk matt

Did you need to trim the floor mat to make the the enclosure fit? I wanted to purchase the audio integrations enclosure but I don't think it will fit without triming. I don't really want to hack up a $70 trunk mat...
No you don't… I've taken it out and put it back no problem a few times.

401 - 418 of 418 Posts