IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 418 Posts

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Damn that is a huge discount over MSRP!

Interested to start seeing reviews on it. Orginally it was labeled as a 10" sub by kicker...interesting that they changed it to an 11 inch?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One sub-level up on the website they also had a 10" listed. And yeah, the 5-door version does look like it was thrown together kind of last minute

·
Registered
902 Posts
I'm realllly curious to hear some feedback on this and how it integrates with the factory Headunit and what kind of sound quality you can expect from it.

·
Registered
577 Posts
really, i think it being under the drivers seat isnt to bad. Only down side is when (which i never do) a rear passanger is sitting they could possibly kick it.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
the under seat sub is very under powered tho, I think I will still go with my idea of a self powered bazooka tube, cheaper than that price, on the 5-door, the lack of integration makes it pointless in my opinion

·
Registered
577 Posts
totally agree on that part, though you know u can turn it up on the woofer its self right? When i first got mine i had the navi set to 10 for the subwoofer and NOTHING. then doing a little search i saw theres two adjustments you can make to turn it much higher and now it sounds awesome!

·
Registered
314 Posts
sub (scribing)

Nice 1st eh?

I am disappointed in the sound quality and volume of the factory sound system. Currently considering my alternatives that do not involve replacing the NAV unit.

·
Registered
577 Posts
sub (scribing)

Nice 1st eh?

I am disappointed in the sound quality and volume of the factory sound system. Currently considering my alternatives that do not involve replacing the NAV unit.
Totally agree with you! But again some people consider the STI a rally car and feel the sub is extra dead weight. I just tweaked mine and it pumps out some nice bass. I had full audio done in my civic but don't wanna bother in this car.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Do you have the stock HU? and what did you do to tweak it?

yep stock Nav head unit. What you need to do is move the seat all the way back and from under the front of the drivers seat look at the sub. Shine a light and u will see two knobs u can turn. Take a screw driver and adjust to how u would like it.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
That sub is listed in the official MY2011 accessory booklet. It's a Kicker speaker with an integrated 100W amplifier. Pass.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I think the underseat sub is optional..Imm hafta go take a look now!. I know that when I enable or disable the sub in the HU settings , it didnt make a whole bunch of difference.

FWIW I was quoted $1500+ for a JBL 4x100 amp to boost power to the stock speakers, then a 600/1 amp to power a 12' in an enclosure that would sit flush against the rear seats in the trunk.

...this would be step one... then later on I could add better quality door speakers. Seems a little pricey.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I think the underseat sub is optional..Imm hafta go take a look now!. I know that when I enable or disable the sub in the HU settings , it didnt make a whole bunch of difference.
The underseat sub is only an option on the nav packages. It kills the bluetooth in non-nav cars which sucks for the rest of us.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Bummer! Also with NAV , you lose the ability to Stream Media via Bluetooth, and the armrest plugs are vid/rca. I was hoping for USB and to stream mp3 off my android via BT...not that big a deal. Did I mention I love my car anyways? :)

·
Registered
902 Posts
Bummer! Also with NAV , you lose the ability to Stream Media via Bluetooth, and the armrest plugs are vid/rca. I was hoping for USB and to stream mp3 off my android via BT...not that big a deal. Did I mention I love my car anyways? :)
Subaru had this brilliant idea to include the media hub (usb) on all non-nav cars than then REMOVE it if you added navigation, forcing you to then also buy the media hub to get it back, when the base cars get it included.

You could have gotten that usb hookup if you paid the 2-300 bucks extra to add back the media hub....but who would have thought to do that if you didn't specifically look at the fine print?

Brilliant, Subaru....Brilliant.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
The underseat sub is only an option on the nav packages. It kills the bluetooth in non-nav cars which sucks for the rest of us.
FALSE.

Subaru was in the process of fixing the harness so it would work with non-nav cars as well like 5 months ago.

You could buy any used underseat sub on the forums and get a harness made from www.ae64.com for like 40 bucks if Subaru hasn't finished fixing the harness. All the underseat subs are the same, the thing that makes the part numbers different is the harness included with it.

The subwoofer itself has been the same forever.

It's one freaking wire they need to add to the harness.

Here is one for sale:
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/gr-interior-parts/205811-co-jdm-bride-gradation-material-oem-sub-air-pump-blockoff-plates.html

Order the harness from SVXDC (ae64.com) and you have the underseat sub for like 150bucks. :)

1 - 20 of 418 Posts