IW STi Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just picked-up a new '06 STI and have about 150 gentle miles on the clock.

A question about the brakes. While the initial feel of my brakes is strong, they don't seem to "bite" very hard at the moment and certainly not as strongly as I would have expected a set of 4-pot Bremo calipers to brake!!

Do they take a while to bed in from new?? Looking at the discs, they are not yet polished/clean, i.e. they are still showing a little surface discoloration from transit and sitting on the lot??

What have others experienced with their brakes from new?

·
Registered
582 Posts
The stock brakes work very well. They require more effort, but they are a lot easier to modulate. When you really put your foot into them, you'll need to brace yourself if you aren't in harnesses. :)

You can also make the brakes grab harder with less effort by changing to a different brake pad compound.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Welcome to the board. I noticed the same thing, the brakes require alot more effort than I was expecting. I had my dad drive who is no stranger to performance cars (drives a Z06). He drove it like he stole it and had me hanging from the seatbelt. You have to really stand on the pedal to get to full lock up and have the abs kick in. I'd wait unitl you break it in more until you try it though.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Perfectly normal. You won't feel the true power of the Brembos unless you actually get on 'em. I remember having to push the brakes a couple of times and was suddenly jerked cuz I stopped shorter than I expected.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to all for some reassuring feedback. The bedding-in article (thanks rv7) was particularly interesting as I was always under the impression that you were to avoid hard braking on new brakes! Did most of you guys bed your brakes in using this technique? Should I wait until I have a few more miles on the car (I have 180 now) before going through the bed-in process or just go straight to it?

Thanks again ... and the forums look awsome by the way - tons of really useful stuff.

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Dont worry bro i noticed the same thing... give it a couple hundred more miles and ull notice the difference... Also to me it seems like that brakes need to warm up a bit before it starts to bite. I feel like it brakes harder from when im going fast and then suddenly stopping to when im goin slow and brake.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Yeah it helps when they warm up a bit Ive noticed that in the morning. But they will stop you! lol Welcome to the site!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.