IW STi Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
They're a bit lighter than the GiroDisc front rotors as they use a retention ring rather than screws to attach the rotor to the hat.

PFC: ~15.5 lbs
GiroDisc: ~18.0 lbs (+ ~1.5 lbs)
OEM: ~23.2 (+ ~7.7 lbs)

They're ~$150 more expensive than the GiroDiscs ($900 vs $1050). Most of the weight savings from both rotors probably comes from the aluminum hat. This is good for unsprung weight savings, but less effective from a rotational mass perspective.

Performance Friction Direct Drive V3™ 2-Piece Front Brake Rotors
(FITS 2018 to 2020 STI, TYPE RA, S209)

Racecomp Engineering is proud to be the exclusive seller of the brand new Performance Friction Direct Drive V3™ Zero Failures™ front brake rotors for 2018-2020 STI, Type RA, and S209 in North America. Drawing on decades of experience in top level motorsport, Performance Friction (PFC) has designed the ultimate rotor for use with OEM Brembo 6-piston calipers, focusing on light weight, durability, and ease of servicing. Utilizing a lightweight aluminum hat, a ventilated rotor ring with proprietary slot pattern, and the all-new V3 attachment system, PFC delivers professional motorsport technology to the autocross, track day, time attack, and road race enthusiast.

Direct Drive V3™ Disc Technology
The patented V3 attachment uses a retention ring that holds the hat and disc together. The ring means no need for torque wrenches, no hardware and no hassle.
The ability to change a disc quickly and efficiently saves time and effort. As well as being convenient, the new V3 technology is much lighter than previous designs, making it easier to put on and pull off. This V3 rotor retention method is based on the use of a two-turn retaining ring, which is held in a groove in the hat that overlaps the rotor flanges—effectively locking the rotor to the hat. This allows for the rotor ring to "float," eliminating thermal distortion and warping, while remaining 100% silent and rattle-free!

Light Weight and Zero Failures™
The use of an aluminum rotor hat and the V3 no-hardware attachment system means that each front rotor only weighs 15.5 lbs. That's a total savings of nearly 16 lbs. of unsprung mass for a pair of front rotors!
Through the use of a proprietary high-carbon alloy that is heat treated and fully machined inside and out to a runout tolerance of less than .0005 inches, PFC ensures bulletproof reliability, consistent quality, and a service life significantly longer than the competition. Every rotor is individually inspected and measured before packaging to verify that it meets PFC's quality standards. This strict quality control, coupled with a development program that included hundreds of thousands of test miles on the road, race track, and brake dyno, is the reason why PFC is one of the world leaders in brake component manufacturing. See and feel the difference on your STI today!

Features
  • Direct Drive V3™ mounting system that uses a spiral locking ring to connect the disc to the lightweight aluminum hat, and requires no tools or hardware
  • High carbon allow with copper and molybdenum for high temperature strength and durability
  • Vanes turned OD and ID for balance to reduce thermal warping and vibration
  • 47 vanes for superior thermal capacity
  • Aircraft-quality heat treated for microstructure alignment and durability
  • Surface finish less than .7 microns
  • 100% measured and inspected to meet tolerance specifications
PFC 15.5 lbs:

OEM 23.3 lbs:

Compared to GiroDisc:

The Girodisc system is a direct replacement for the OE disc. No modifications are necessary. The disc will bolt directly to the car and work with OE calipers perfectly. By upgrading your brakes with lightweight high performance replacements as opposed to a big brake kit, your factory bias is maintained as well as your ABS efficiency. The Girodisc front rotors are approx 18.0lbs vs. 23.1lbs for the stock units. This reduction in rotational and unsprung weight allows for quicker acceleration and suspension response.

The central hat section of our rotor is made from strictly U.S. sourced 6061-T6 aircraft specification aluminum. The disc is made from our own proprietary cast iron, poured in the USA and machined from start to finish in house at Girodisc. The rotor utilizes 48 curved directional vanes, developed in racing to act as a centrifugal pump to force cooling air through the disc.

The rotor and hat have a floating mount system, which utilizes 8 or 10 high strength alloy steel drive pins, manufactured by Girodisc in the USA to our own specifications and cadmium plated for a long lasting corrosion resistance. These pins take the load from braking actions while maintaining the axial and radial float between the hat and disc. The pins are secured by grade 12 cap screws with hardened washers. In order to keep the rotors from making noise when cold, the pins are mounted with anti-noise spring washers on the rotor side which allow the rotor to grow with heat expansion but eliminate the rattle and noise associated with floating rotors. This float also allows the rotor to self center between the pads.

Once the Girodisc system is in place, simply replace the cast iron rotor when needed.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thank you.

I have seen these units used at HPDE days and they seem to work well.

When will you have matching rears? Call me odd, but I like to have all four wheels looks the same more or less as my car is 80% street....just me perhaps but I will wait until you also have rears.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, I'm not affiliated with these, but rather stumbled across them online. I did reach out to both manufacturers in regards to the rear rotors. Neither PFC or GiroDisc plan to make rear rotors for the 18+ STI. It appears to be a combination of cost effectiveness and performance.

In regards to PFC:
No real need for rear rotors considering the rear bias and heat range. The e-brake factor would also eliminate any real weight savings.

GiroDisc makes rear rotors for the '08-17 STI, but not the 18+.
Rear rotors aren't possible for the 18+ STI as they would require a significantly shorter pad or a lot of grinding on the stock pad. We recommend pairing these with the DBA one-piece slotted rears.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Ive had my girodiscs since last Aug. I was initially worried because people reported clicking and noise. So far so good in my case. My vote is for girodisc when it comes to 2pc rotors.

Also whats changed from the 04-17 STI rear rotors that made girodisc shy away from offering an option in 18+ MY?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Ive had my girodiscs since last Aug. I was initially worried because people reported clicking and noise. So far so good in my case. My vote is for girodisc when it comes to 2pc rotors.

Also whats changed from the 04-17 STI rear rotors that made girodisc shy away from offering an option in 18+ MY?
2018+ STi Rear rotors are larger in diameter compared to 2004-2017 STi Rear rotors

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 2018+ rear brake pads also have a larger surface area. GiroDisc said that they would have to make a custom pad that's much shorter or the stock pad would require A LOT of grinding. Doing so would reduce the amount of friction applied to the rear rotors.

Here's a comparison ('18+ on bottom).

·
Registered
367 Posts
i like that snapring for the new style...will be interesting to see how it holds up over disc replacements...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts