IW STi Forum banner

61 - 80 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
News article on some of the unsung heroes from 11SEP01.
Surviving 9/11 rescue dogs that scoured Ground Zero for bodies are commemorated a decade after their most difficult mission | Mail Online

I was in 1st Period, Sophmore year of High School. I remember everyone huddled around the television in the classroom; staring in disbelief as CNN replayed the aircraft slamming into the side of the WTC Tower. I remember people crying as the towers collapsed. I remember Americans from all corners of the nation standing together; bound by love for country and brother. I remember raising my right hand on a bright August morning. And, I remember the face of a soldier, and friend, who was killed in Afghanistan.

·
Premium Member
9,013 Posts
I find it amazing that people can remember exactly what they were doing and what their surroundings were at the time they heard about the events of that morning.

I was sitting in my office in Bethesda IM'ing with one of my developers from Romania. My dad was at Logan Airport, sitting on a plane heading for San Francisco. My developer asked me what happened in NYC. As I was opening CNN, my best friend, at law school in Boston, IM'd me and told me to look at the news.

I wrote it off at first as an accident, until the pictures started coming in. I left work and headed back to PA. Old Georgetown Road was PACKED. I couldn't get ahold of my father. On 270, I got behind what must have been a secret service truck, lights on, heading north in the left lane. I followed them at about 85 to Thurmont. I was a volunteer lieutenant back then. I met with a bunch of guys at the firehouse and we sat and watched. Silently. I still could not get in touch with my dad.

It was not until later in the morning that I knew my family was OK. Several friends and 343 brothers were not so lucky. Part of the reason I do what I do today is because of that morning.

I will never forget.

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
Sometimes I get mad at myself for not enlisting.

Just to see the date: 9-11-11 It gives me weird feelings.

I remember my boss not being very sensitive to what had happened, and I just wanted to punch him in the face. I quit that job shortly after.

It drives me crazy to think of all the people that have forgotten what happened or could care less.

I'm grateful we killed Obama before this anniversary. It is very bitter sweet.

Until next year: NEVER FORGET

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I remember where I was and all details...I also just read a article from london of protestors burning the American flag during the moments of silence and yelling slurs today..Boils my blood..

·
Starkiller Moderator
3,671 Posts
Saw a conspiracy theory today that the planes were holograms, and nobody died in them.... this country makes me sad sometimes.

Crazy to think its been 10 years, seems like it wasn't even real.

·
Registered
13,104 Posts

I remember my boss not being very sensitive to what had happened, and I just wanted to punch him in the face. I quit that job shortly after.

It drives me crazy to think of all the people that have forgotten what happened or could care less.

I'm pretty sure it was 9-11-01.

·
Registered
116 Posts

And I'm pretty sure it was Osama.

·
Registered
6,119 Posts
11 years ago... seems like yesterday.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
It angers me that they have not finished the memorial park and the new buildings. I was in NYC a week ago and was saddened that there was still a gaping hole in the ground.

We built the Empire State building in less than a year and it stood for more than 40 years as the tallest building in the world. And we did this during the great depression!

Today we cant build 3 buildings and a memorial park in 11 years, three buildings which will all be eclipsed by the Empire State Building which is dwarfed by buildings around the world.

I think we are better than this as Americans and I am sad that we could not put our politics aside and get to work and honor our lost friends, family and citizens by doing the best damn job that we can do.

I personally think they should have built the tallest buildings in the world at ground zero and had THAT be the memorial. A record breaking, sky scraping memorial and a giant "Fuck you, we are Americans! We will always overcome, we will always come back from adversity better, bigger, stronger and more united than ever."

Anyway...a sad day of remembrance indeed. Much love to all those we lost, and all those who have lost.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Wow 11yrs already... I can honestly say I will never forget that day and I was 12yrs old. Every time I get on a plane it reminds me of that terrible day.

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Years go by so fast........... 12 today

NEVER FORGET

61 - 80 of 95 Posts