IW STi Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi i was in my friends sti the other day to watch him race his car from the inside so i can get a good perspective on how to handle this baby. This is what he did. He rev that bytch up to like 6k and I think he drop the clutch cause earlier he said that when he was at like 5200rpm he let out the clutch and it kind of bog a bit so he just dump the clutch at 6k and DAMM! that shyt just took off. My homeboi behind me said he look like it flew or something bc it took off so quick. And then here is the problem where he mess up. I think that foo hit the rev limiter cause all of a sudden we felt the car kind of smutter and i look at the rpm and it was all the way past redline. He shift into 2nd and i heard a grind and than he miss third gear. I was amaze at how fast the sti was and cant wait to launch and do that on my sti but than i was really worried if i might fuk up like him. We talk about it afterward bc i wanted to know what was the negative effect really on dumping the clutch at 6k. Is it hurting the tranny or the clutch and how bad is it hurting it. And what about when he hit the rev limiter and the car smutter, what is that harming and how bad. And the gear grinding...oh man that was a good experience to go through. And man the sti's rpm go up quick as hell, so much faster than a honda you gotta keep your eye on that. Well anyway that is my quesiton up there if any of you can help thanks!

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
No need to dump the clutch at 6k. I've done a quick slip at 4k with no bogging, just forward acceleration, so I don't get why it would bog at 5.2k.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
That my friend will be the "definition of an ABUSED tranny" a.k.a the topic discussed in this forum! haahahhahaha=) sorry but i wouldnt hurt a brand new car like that! I can understand a few times but it seems like you guys are beating the poor girl up =(............

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
all right well my friend did it twice. So how much more do you think the tranny will take before going out, and is that the only thing? like hittin the rev limiter is that hurting the transmission only or also possibly the engine. ANd if it does go out like the transmission how much you think it is to replace or fix? thanks as i am now going back and rereading some other posts how to launch this sucker right.

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
just do rolling launches if possible, my car likes it a lot better rolling about 5 mph and then launching (everything is moving and isnt suddenly jolted). Or get a lot more hp and then feel the clutch out. I can let it out around 4k and what not now and never have bogging :).

Robert~

·
Registered
55 Posts
For a launch there is no need to straight drop the clutch, I put it up to around 5k and then let the clutch out to engage point, hold it there for a fraction of a second and drop it the rest of the way. I get a tinny bit of wheel spin somethimes, but the lauch works perfectly and i have toasted some evos with it, and they are suposed to put down better 60ft times than us, so i think that i am doing something right.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for all those that reply, greatly appreciated. But no one answer the question about the tranny. Like how much abuse like that could the tranny take before going out and how much to replace or fix. ALso is it only hurting the tranny or could it possibly hurt the engine or soem other part of the car. thanks

·
Registered
348 Posts
sti_187 said:
thanks for all those that reply, greatly appreciated. But no one answer the question about the tranny. Like how much abuse like that could the tranny take before going out and how much to replace or fix. ALso is it only hurting the tranny or could it possibly hurt the engine or soem other part of the car. thanks
"How much abuse" is an unknown. I don't think there is anyone out there seeing how many clutch dumps it takes to break the transmission. As for replacing the transmission, gruppe-s has STi 6-speeds with LSD and DCCD for $7000: http://www.gruppe-s.com/Subaru/subtrn.htm

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I'd worry about the drivetrain before the tranny..... heard people are snapping axles like that. Not very often, but sometimes....

I'd be more worried about whatever happened with he hit the rev limiter, and the grinding, though....

·
Registered
347 Posts
looks like your friend needs to figure out how to drive. not to sound like a jerk, but what he's doing is idiotic. just like the other guys are saying, "dumping" the clutch is not needed, nor is 6000rpm. also sounds like he's slamming those shifts pretty hard, again, not needed. i think this guy isn't comfortable w/ the speed of the sti yet, and he isn't even close to keeping up w/ it. if he's into the rev limiter on a drag strip, things are happening way to fast for him...

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
DrEvyl said:
Kinda hard to do rolling launches if you're running at the drag strip.
lol ya i just meant for screwing around and "street racing"

Robert~

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
ok ive been hearing these 6speeds are bullets they can handle up to 500hp...but then again thats not beating on it like you and your buddy are doing! I am not sure if my source is correct, but that is an estimate figure and my personal opinion would be that this tranny and motor can handle somewhere around that figure. BUt to help you and your guy out, seriously think about it, you guys are taken that car for granted! This car is not cheap and before you can mess with a car that has a high price and name, you should go learn how to race little civics and toyotas no offense to u or him but practicing on this car isnt worth it, Dont break the car just to see what it can handle! thats just my .02cents!

peace

·
Registered
316 Posts
It siounds like your friend needs something without a clutch, maybe a wrx wagon. He should try some course racing. that way you get to learn shifting up/down entering turns at the right rpms/or wrong rpms and see how that works out for ya. As for the tranny issue.... It sounds like your buddy should be able to tell all of us in a couple of weeks. --Sin52

·
Registered
316 Posts
It sounds like your friend needs something without a clutch, maybe a wrx wagon. He should try some course racing. that way you get to learn shifting up/down entering turns at the right rpms/or wrong rpms and see how that works out for ya. As for the tranny issue.... It sounds like your buddy should be able to tell all of us in a couple of weeks. --Sin52

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ok to answer a few questions, 1. no one knows how much abuse the tranny can take, and i am not going to be the one who finds out. if the 500hp statement above is close, then not too many 6k lanches will be needed to kill the transmission. that 500hp would be based on the weight. F=MA. 2. Another thing, f our cars produce max toruque at i beleive 4100 or so then why launche at 6000. Your looking for tourque to launch not HP Just a few thoughts. Try launching about 36-3700 and then letting the engine bring itself into the tourque band at 4100 or so.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for everyones reply but we wasnt testing it to break it, he was just racing his friends evo and heard on most sites ethier slip the clutch at like 5k or just dump that bytch at 6k so he just did that. I for one for right now anyways, im just going to slip the clutch at 5k and get a ayte start, not a great explosive one but just a quick little chirp. ANd wheres all those ppl that be saying dump that shyt i guess yall figure out yall were wrong?

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
sorry man, :D but how old are you, you seem to be a ghetto highschooler, please speak proper english so we can all understand your statements! :roll:

·
Registered
422 Posts
I've had to launch at 6,000 rpm for a fast take off. The start of that hillclimb was at almost 8,000'... It was closed course racing and we do a standing start. The gearing on the STi is very close and you have to watch the shift light like a hawk. Flashing red. Shift. The fuel cut off is to protect the engine. No damage there.

What the high launch rpms are doing is storing kinetic energy in the flywheel. When revving while not under load our turbos are not making much boost and are real close in performance to a normally aspirated engine. When you drop the clutch you dump that energy into the drive train as a shock load. Saw on a thread, internet credibility, that Subaru did some destructive testing and that the first parts to go was a front stub shaft.

As others have said, gear grinding is the driver.

On another thread someone's language was so bad that no one gave him an answer. It wasn't worth deciphering. Please use you best English possible, like for an English class term paper. I have dyslexia and make many mistakes myself...

1 - 20 of 53 Posts