IW STi Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 26k of californias crappy roads my struts are definitely feeling it. (I don't try to be easy on them in canyons etc..)+the bad roads=time to replace. What the hell should I do? It seems like I can drop 2k on coilovers and thats about it. Any ideas?? I really just want new struts.

·
Registered
43 Posts
jermdeez said:
After 26k of californias crappy roads my struts are definitely feeling it. (I don't try to be easy on them in canyons etc..)+the bad roads=time to replace. What the hell should I do? It seems like I can drop 2k on coilovers and thats about it. Any ideas?? I really just want new struts.

My struts seem to be going bad now--also in cali. I think there's a temporary fix to strut clunk somewhere in the threads (jack up, clean, grease). Not quite sure about warranty for me since I have Prodrive Springs in mine. Good street coilover option I'm thinking about may be the Helix DNA Coilovers--less than a grand.

·
Registered
230 Posts
If its a strut failure, have them replaced under warranty if possible. Don't do the temporary fix.If your strut fail like mine, the weight of the car is just sitting on the springs, stressing the springs.

Get it fixed.

Now, what setup is your decision. Search around, check your bank account and decide later.

- Charles

·
3,274 Posts
cheap option: pick up a set of used struts from someone who has upgraded

mid-range option: the SPT 4-way adjustable struts (same thing as the JDM Spec-C Type-RAs)

bling option: Ohlin fixed perch strut

I have the Spec-C Type-RAs now and they are ok, but I'm saving up for a set of the Ohlins. :)

·
Registered
3,928 Posts
If I were looking for a long term OEM replacement solution, I would definitely go with the fixed perch Ohlins. Your car will handle and ride so much better.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ohlins for me. Got the strut clunk this week, already did the regrease. Just waiting on the Ohlins fixed perches I already ordered.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
New member, first post.

I too need struts.

My 04 STI is "Boingy" I shake up and down in my seat on the rough roads here in Michigan. Feels over sprung to me, but these cars are very stifly set-up, so I'm assuming it is really under-damped.

The car has ProDrive springs in it and I recently installed a Perrin 22mm rear bar and mounts, otherwise suspension is stock.

I have the "clunk" in the right rear strut.

These Ohlins struts I see talked about here are listed as being for '05 and up. What is the best alternative on my '04? I'd hate to have to do coilovers. This car had Progress coil-overs a while back and they were awfull (acording to the previous owner, who gave them away in exchange for a stock set and installation).

I hear ProDrive is busy working with Bilstein on a set (and working on a swaybar set etc). They're supposed to have better control and also a better ride (not as harsh) as stock. Not going to be available for 3-4 months though. Not sure if I can wait that long.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
DuckStu said:
New member, first post.

I too need struts.

My 04 STI is "Boingy" I shake up and down in my seat on the rough roads here in Michigan. Feels over sprung to me, but these cars are very stifly set-up, so I'm assuming it is really under-damped.

The car has ProDrive springs in it and I recently installed a Perrin 22mm rear bar and mounts, otherwise suspension is stock.

I have the "clunk" in the right rear strut.

These Ohlins struts IU see takled about here are listed as being for '05 and up. What is the best alternative on my '04? I'd hate to have to do coilovers. This car had Progress coil-overs a while back and they were awfull (ascording to the previous owner, who gave them away in exchange for a stock set and installation).

I hear ProDrive is busy working with Bilstein on a set (and working on a swaybar set etc). They're supposed to have better control and also a better ride (not as harsh) as stock. Not going to be available for 3-4 months though. Not sure if I can wait that long.
Myles had the Ohlin's struts on his '04 STi so they are also available for the '04 model.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts