IW STi Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says my 07 65k mile STi has blown struts and I need something asap... Looking for not too high of mileage but open to anything right now.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just trying to build an ultimate DD. Comfort and reliability are priority, not tracking it heavily or anything often. Weekend canyon carver and located in CA. Looking to get around 400whp. Just stage 2 currently.

·
Premium Member
5,291 Posts
To me comfort and canyon carver are mutually exclusive. IMHO 400 AWHP in an STI deserves a performance suspension. Ultimate DD is completely a matter of preference.
Questions to be answered are: I don't believe that reliability is so much an issue with decent suspensions.

• How much do you want to spend or are willing to? Good suspensions are not cheap, but getting to a reliable 400 AWHP won't be either. They are both part building a fast car.
  • How much comfort are you willing to give up? This is mostly a tradeoff. Handling with stiffness of comfort?
You mention stage 2, have you done anything else with the suspension? A stock GD will always exhibit terminal under-steer. Adding 24mm (25 hollow) bars and a means of gaining camber will make the same leaping handing as you should have gotten going from stock to stage to. I followed this path myself - and the I first time I redid my suspension and drove it I came home and told my wife "now I know how wealthy poeple kill themselves in fast cars." I have T2s with the std 500/400lb springs in the car now, but there is no way I'd call it comfortable. Still for me it's part of my Ultimate DD.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To me comfort and canyon carver are mutually exclusive. IMHO 400 AWHP in an STI deserves a performance suspension. Ultimate DD is completely a matter of preference.
Questions to be answered are: I don't believe that reliability is so much an issue with decent suspensions.

• How much do you want to spend or are willing to? Good suspensions are not cheap, but getting to a reliable 400 AWHP won't be either. They are both part building a fast car.
  • How much comfort are you willing to give up? This is mostly a tradeoff. Handling with stiffness of comfort?
You mention stage 2, have you done anything else with the suspension? A stock GD will always exhibit terminal under-steer. Adding 24mm (25 hollow) bars and a means of gaining camber will make the same leaping handing as you should have gotten going from stock to stage to. I followed this path myself - and the I first time I redid my suspension and drove it I came home and told my wife "now I know how wealthy poeple kill themselves in fast cars." I have T2s with the std 500/400lb springs in the car now, but there is no way I'd call it comfortable. Still for me it's part of my Ultimate DD.
Yea spirited driving and a decent ride quality really isn't asking for too much. Money isn't an object its more about what is worth it for me, 3k coilovers supposedly will be quality and have tons of adjustments that I will never tinker with. The consensus is unless you go all out coilovers one will never beat a good set of struts as the car was designed, apparently more comfort and better handling plus lower and valved for the spring and application like the feal FPS. It's either those or fortune auto 500s fully spec but even then I am skeptical it is not good enough, will require tons of adjustments, have to revalve often, loud and squeaky, uncomfortable and just not well served for the STi, the WRX is different and anything is an upgrade pretty much. Educate me

·
Vendor
266 Posts
If you aren't going to corner balance the car and you don't care about height adjustment there's really no advantage to a coilover vs a strut. If you have the correct spring rates and valving to match you're good.

Ohlins no longer offers a kit for your car. We can custom build a set for you but it would test your "money isn't an object" statement.. :D

A RCE Tarmac 0 kit would probably work really well for you if you can get one. Reach out to Myles at RCE directly.

Yea spirited driving and a decent ride quality really isn't asking for too much. Money isn't an object its more about what is worth it for me, 3k coilovers supposedly will be quality and have tons of adjustments that I will never tinker with. The consensus is unless you go all out coilovers one will never beat a good set of struts as the car was designed, apparently more comfort and better handling plus lower and valved for the spring and application like the feal FPS. It's either those or fortune auto 500s fully spec but even then I am skeptical it is not good enough, will require tons of adjustments, have to revalve often, loud and squeaky, uncomfortable and just not well served for the STi, the WRX is different and anything is an upgrade pretty much. Educate me

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you aren't going to corner balance the car and you don't care about height adjustment there's really no advantage to a coilover vs a strut. If you have the correct spring rates and valving to match you're good.

Ohlins no longer offers a kit for your car. We can custom build a set for you but it would test your "money isn't an object" statement.. :D

A RCE Tarmac 0 kit would probably work really well for you if you can get one. Reach out to Myles at RCE directly.
awesome thanks so much for pointing me in the right direction and your input, I will definitely reach out to RCE, thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
5,291 Posts
Thats what I would recommend if you didn't write all the stuff you did :
  • they won't ride even like stock . . . their springs are stiffer.
  • stiffer springs implies stiffer bars to match, but you don't have to
  • They are quality. Plenty of people have run KW and RCE without real issues.

Hmm - Actually Recommend end KW! Their versions usually have softer rear ends, ride better - but give up some handling.

For GD handling the most important thing is camber . . . .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts